How much has rational-thinking strategies worked for you?

Moses199

I see quite often see methods of rational statements/thinking. How much have they worked on treating your SA (alot OR moderately successful)??

Pacific_Loner

Pirate from the North Pole
Could you elaborate on that method? Do you mean for example, when you're constantly telling yourself that you're worthless, instead you start thinking "objectively speaking, I'm worth as much as anyone else, etc."?

As for me, it's mostly a way to get things done. Approach them as objective as I can till the things I dread is done. But in terms of anxiety, for me personally, it hasn't done much.

Sacrament

What sometimes helps is thinking of the law of probability. I think about horrible things happening to my loved ones, but then imagine the odds of those things happening (low), and it helps a little.

I think verbalizing things also helps, because everything seems so real in your mind, but if you say it out loud, it'll help understand how silly it sounds.

Moses199

Could you elaborate on that method? Do you mean for example, when you're constantly telling yourself that you're worthless, instead you start thinking "objectively speaking, I'm worth as much as anyone else, etc."?
Yes, they say rational statements help anxiety. I wanted to see here how much has it helped others.

Moses199

if anyone reads this book before me please tell me how helpful it is!! Thank you :)
Are you refering to this book?

51rpuaHobmL._SX258_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

LoyalXenite

Ah well in that case positive affirmations never helped me, they actually just make me mad :LOL:. I do better with quotes like this to comfort me, though it doesnt fix anything long term. Quotes just give me some immediate comfort or enjoyment, rather like memes do :LOL:.

6c5e62f70e5cd85071ddbc0c2768d3ac.jpg

Moses199

Ah well in that case positive affirmations never helped me, they actually just make me mad :LOL:. I do better with quotes like this to comfort me, though it doesnt fix anything long term. Quotes just give me some immediate comfort or enjoyment, rather like memes do :LOL:.

6c5e62f70e5cd85071ddbc0c2768d3ac.jpg
You said it doesn't fix anything long-term. What has fixed things for you long-term?

Pacific_Loner

Yes, they say rational statements help anxiety. I wanted to see here how much has it helped others.

What helped me personally is understanding how my brain works, how the way I was raised have an impact on what I am and how I perceive myself today, so that when I tell myself that I am worthless, ugly, retarded, etc., I can pause and remind myself why I have this low opinion of myself, and how it doesn't necessarly reflect reality. Then instead of telling myself I'm worthless I can think more rationally: I grew up thinking I was worth nothing because of the way I was raised, but now that I know it, the reality is that I have about the same power as the average to be worth something.

Moses199

so that when I tell myself that I am worthless, ugly, retarded, etc., I can pause and remind myself why I have this low opinion of myself, and how it doesn't necessarly reflect reality. .
But if one is ugly how does that not reflect reality? It's reality and how you actually, i don't understand what you mean can you explain more please. I have the issue of looking ugly too unfortunately. I'm very self-concious and feel like i'm ugly, and i believe it reality.

Pacific_Loner

But if one is ugly how does that not reflect reality? It's reality and how you actually, i don't understand what you mean can you explain more please. I have the issue of looking ugly too unfortunately. I'm very self-concious and feel like i'm ugly, and i believe it reality.

Hah, Yeah I have this opinion too. However, objectively speaking, people with low self-esteem probably sees themselves as less attractive than the exact same looking person with high self esteem. Look is also very subjective, so as Lily said, you could be ugly for someone and handsome for someone else.

But I think what I was trying to say is, it doesn't matter. There is some things you can do to be better looking, like working out, taking care of your health, paying attention to how you dress, have a nice hair cut, etc., but ultimately you have the right to live your life just as much as anyone else.

So what I'm saying is, it's no use to try and convince yourself that you're good looking if you're not, but it's under your control not to let that stop you from getting where you want to go.

Sacrament

I've seen tons of 'ugly' guys with attractive girls and vice-versa. At the end of the day, natural confidence is high up in the rankings when it comes to the main deciders. Being insecure, or having a low self-esteem, or being constantly terrified of everyone, are just not attractive.

lily

Hah, Yeah I have this opinion too. However, objectively speaking, people with low self-esteem probably sees themselves as less attractive than the exact same looking person with high self esteem. Look is also very subjective, so as Lily said, you could be ugly for someone and handsome for someone else.

But I think what I was trying to say is, it doesn't matter. There is some things you can do to be better looking, like working out, taking care of your health, paying attention to how you dress, have a nice hair cut, etc., but ultimately you have the right to live your life just as much as anyone else.

So what I'm saying is, it's no use to try and convince yourself that you're good looking if you're not, but it's under your control not to let that stop you from getting where you want to go.
I like your post Pacific_Loner! And sorry i don't want ANYONE to feel bad or even more anxious as to what i posted earlier. i too have a little insecurities about aspects of the way i look. What i mean is that if you're not so-called good-looking, you can still be cute to your partner bc of your inside, shining from the inside-out!

Last edited:

LoyalXenite

I've seen tons of 'ugly' guys with attractive girls and vice-versa. At the end of the day, natural confidence is high up in the rankings when it comes to the main deciders. Being insecure, or having a low self-esteem, or being constantly terrified of everyone, are just not attractive.

I actually read an article once years ago that in Australia you're more likely to get a girl if you're funny, not based on your looks (I dont know what they used to determine this though :unsure: )

Sacrament

Well, obviously. If you're confident but you're rude to people, you're not gonna get anywhere. Being naturally confident means you like yourself enough not to project your insecurities onto other people and be rude to them.

I actually read an article once years ago that in Australia you're more likely to get a girl if you're funny, not based on your looks (I dont know what they used to determine this though :unsure: )

I can attest to this. Make a girl laugh, and you've got a significantly higher chance of getting lucky (in every sense of the word).