how long does it take you to write an email?

LazyHermitCrab

I just spent about over an hour replying to an email checking and rechecking. When I sent it I held my breathe and out loud said, "you can do this." It takes too long. I wanna be able just to answer back instead of taking a long time and sometimes I sound like a robot writing back to make sure everything is grammically perfect. This is not something I do here. :p Anyone else like this lol?

laure15

I do this too, especially when I write professional emails to colleagues. After I've written an email, I recheck it twice or thrice before I send. If it is a long email I have to write, I write in a word processor before I copy and paste. I do this because I don't want to make mistakes and embarrass myself. Sometimes I also take long time to write because my head went blank and it takes a while for ideas to flow.

xylo

Banned
yea takes me a long time too. Sometimes I can take up to 4-5 hours writing emails depending who I'm writing too, like if it's a long one to a friend. I like to think about what I'm writing and double check it all to make sure it's good. Although sometimes I do limit myself and give myself just an hour or two and no more cause it can go into silly territory sometimes!

spearhunter

Yes me too, i when writing an email to someone else, i try to do it slowly and right.I would just think that it's all written wrong and then think that the receiver of the email thinks I am an an-alphabetic.

lilmutegirl

I used to think that texting an email were two of the greatest inventions for someone like me, who has trouble interacting in person, but I often find myself delaying writing (or at least sending) emails and texts. I worry about grammar and spelling, but am also very concerned about the other person's reaction to the message I am sending. Anything that would be difficult in person is still hard for me to convey via email, but a little less so.
Currently, I am avoiding writing an email to an instructor, because I am afraid of what his response will be. I plan on sending copies of essays that are overdue, but will likely have to turn in hard copies as well, and, even though he's nice (and actually, somewhat akward himself, so he may relate to me), I fear having to see him in person.

Last edited:

ImNotMyIllness

I use to be even worse than that. I couldn't even write a postcard. I would debate how to begin, what to say, how I would come off, would I look stupid etc........after staring at a blank piece of paper for hours, I would be too exhausted to write anything.

Now, I just go with the flow. I still sometimes over analyze what I write, but I don't worry about it as much anymore.

Isolated_Writer

Forever. I try to avoid responding to them in general but are usually guilt-ed into replying. I have ones from my pen-pal and grandmother in my inbox that have been sitting there for weeks but I can't bring myself to respond to

akala

I'm glad I'm not alone on this problem. I'm usually afraid it sounds rude or too demanding or too submissive ... worry worry worry...
It's nice to just not think about it... write it out and hit send.
I tried telling me therapist this... he gave me the strangest look like he'd never heard it before so I was left to think it was just a weird trait unique to me but I'm glad it's not.

Usually I have the same problem with posting on forums sometimes.
-edit-delete-edit-delete- I tried writing my Mother in law to be an email and it was one paragraph and I kept re-editing, until I was left with one line and an emoticon. :)

I think it has to do with my shyness; I always think that it "should" be easier to do things online since there's no pressure to speak but it just leads to too much second guessing.

maryram13

have you ever read, "let's pretend this never happened"? she talks about her struggles with anxiety, and has a whole section in her book about how long it takes her to write an email. it made me laugh, because i do the EXACT same thing. i suggest reading it, just to get the chance to laugh at yourself. i certainly laughed at my anxiety-ridden habits after reading it.

innersmile

Most of the anxiety is because we can't see other people's reactions. You know, when you communicate face to face, at least you can see when to throw in a joke or change the subject, but in case of e-mailing or texting ... wish I could put emoticons after every sentence, because the more formal you have to write, the more rude it sounds (in my head).

I have to deal with e-mails every day and all I can say is after awhile you tend to dismiss such small things and just write. Sometimes it just doesn't matter. And if you're the one who has to reply, try to read the emotions hidden in the first letter. If they're being cold, so should you. If they seem warm enough, you can also be more familiar.

But I agree on the personal letter thing - those are the toughest! :p You write, wait couple of days and then, if you're brave enough, send them. And then begin to worry. Again!

hap3nes

It takes me a long time too to write an email. I'll write it in word first with about five or six different variations all too jumbled up to make any sense. Then I'll sit on it for a day, come back make a final copy either then send it or sit on it for awhile before I actually send the thing out, it is very time consuming and takes a lot of my energy and stresses me out. That's the general synopsis of how it goes sometimes quicker sometimes shorter.

berlingot

it takes me longer getting the courage to open up my email in the first place! then i find that it's pretty quick & harmless to respond, except when something goes awry (like complaints about my online business), then i get a feeling in the pit of my stomach.

Ithior

Usually my emails are just files that I send people (for group projects and such).
When I have to write an email to a teacher I either look up other emails sent by other people in similar contexts or I ask someone else to write it for me (in the case of a group project).

ruhig

Well, I don't really use emails, but it would surely take ages.. Right now I'm trying to figure out what to say in a text, so.. -.-