How is shyness viewed in your country?

Jin

shyness in what way ntando...? because here in philippines...shyness is natural to us...especially when u simply meet new people.... we become shy towards them, we dont want them to think us a bad way, thats why it is a another way of showing respect for them.....

Kat

In Australia, It varies on a person by person basis some people like it others get the wrong impression as a country severe levels of sp itself is considered a disability shyness it’s self doesn’t necessarily fall under the disability category.

limetree

I think extraversion and confidence is generally preferred in Australia, like in job adverts they always want "team players, a people-person with good communication and leadership skills blahblahblah", although apparently back in the 70s more introverted, task-oriented people were preferred. This bias really frustrates me, it's not entirely our fault we're socially underdeveloped, some people just write you off bc you're shy and won't give you a chance...

Aussies also have a rep for being pretty friendly, laid back, not so serious people so you can feel a bit out of place being so anxious and reserved.

Kat

I think extraversion and confidence is generally preferred in Australia, like in job adverts they always want "team players, a people-person with good communication and leadership skills blahblahblah", although apparently back in the 70s more introverted, task-oriented people were preferred. This bias really frustrates me, it's not entirely our fault we're socially underdeveloped, some people just write you off bc you're shy and won't give you a chance...

Aussies also have a rep for being pretty friendly, laid back, not so serious people so you can feel a bit out of place being so anxious and reserved.

I would have to agree with you there, I haven’t met too many people that have looked too kindly on my sp but then again I haven’t met many people. I have a rare few people that eventually come around to me some people use to say I wouldn’t hurt a fly, so they notice I was nice but didn’t necessarily like it.

Remus

Staff member
In England shyness is not seen as too bad a thing, we are not keen on extroverts. Loud people are frowned upon.

We are almost brought up that way
"little children should be seen and not heard"

hoddesdon

I agree with the other Australians about what applies here. There is an expectation that, after a certain age, you should have an "acceptable" level of social facility.

Jin

i think its not a bad thing...we just need to be shy in a right place and in a right time....

anxiousguy83

I agree with unintended about Sweden, the same goes with Norway. It's very hard for shy people to make friends here. People are not comfortable with us.

mrb

uk shyness its ok people just respect thats the way you are ... well 99 per cent of people , the other 1 per cent see it as some kind of thing to poke fun at ... iv had it lots of times with girls , awwww look hes all shy ,look look is he going a tiny bit red awwww lol :rolleyes:

Emily_G

Hmmm good question. I'd say in the US shyness is considered something that should be overcome, that is usually grown out of, etc.

Shyness isn't a good thing for jobs. Shyness isn't a good way to find a mate. Shyness isn't good to find friends. I think 1/10 are introverted and 9/10 are extraverted, so shyness is the clear minority. Shyness is viewed as weak, boring and unappealing somewhat. Most people are very understanding of shy people though. Some people will pick at you, pity you and some just view you as the same as everybody else. The majority view is that everybody should be outgoing and talkative. - USA

ikbenrifi

In morocco, shyness is always related to women, it doesn't make sense for men to be shy, if a man is shy here, he's not considered a true man, unfortunately !

recluse

Well British people are generally viewed as reserved by most nations but i still have experiened a fair share of negativity. I had a pretty hard time when i visited Armenia a few years back as the people there are very warm and welcoming and mostly extroverted, the older women were kind of mothering me and lavishing me with food and i'm not used to that amount of attention. I felt conscious as i was probably the only British person around too lol.

In America, I think extraversion is viewed as better or more acceptable.
Here there's sayings like "watch out for the quiet ones" like were plotting something. It makes people uneasy, or they don't think your interested in others.

Benjamin555

In the U.S it's seen as a bad thing, if you're shy you're weak. People make fun of you, or avoid you because you don't talk. Outside of school your basically alone in the world, everyone just walks right by completely ignoring your existence.

AGR

Brazil-its not looked as a good thing most of the time,most of the people are really loud,sometimes I got that I didnt looked like I was brazilian at all.

uykucu

Old people always tell me that: well-behaved, gentleman, cute
but youngers are think bad: cool (but like a snake tısss! :)), stupid, lazy, too silent, HIYAR