How did u meet ur gf/wife?

X-Rated

I hope i won't offend someone by posting this but having SA how did u manage to maintain a relationship with someone? I`m just askin this because atm I just can't see myself having a gf, being romantic and all that. So my question to you is: How did u meet ur gf/wive? How did she react when she found out about ur condition or loneliness? Was it hard to maintain the relationship?

coyote

i met my first wife in high school - although our relationship did not begin until much later

i met my second wife in an online forum

i met one girlfriend in a bar

i met another girlfriend in an online forum

ive never been married, but i've met my girlfriends the following ways

1st: online chat room

2nd: myspace (yea, i know)

3rd: mutual friend

4th: wedding

Mr.Prez

hmmm... good question

1) school (grad)

2) Volunteering

3) Friends

4) Work

5) eharmony

interesting to note that I've been speed dating three times now and have struck out each time

razzle dazzle rose

I was browsing through my bf's Men's Health magazines recently and found this interesting chart about a Match.com study about where people met their significant others and it goes something like this:

Work or school 36%
Through friends or family 26%
Online dating site 17%
Bar, club, social event 11%
Place of worship 4%
Other 7%

The point of the article was to point out that nearly one in six newlyweds met through an online dating service. I think the numbers may have changed since then and the number is higher as this magazine was from last year and I do believe they did a new study. I met my current bf online but not in a dating site. Others I have met at school, through friends, and once while walking to the bus stop after work. I have heard of a couple meeting their husbands and wives through myspace and FB. Perhaps that is the 7% ::p:

My social anxiety has affected most all my relationships. Many guys I have met and dated but nothing developed because I was just too anxious. It is very difficult, though not impossible, to maintain a relationship while having severe social anxiety. It is just much harder for us than for "normal" people, and relationships are already hard as they are...

bsammy

^^lol try being a guy with ssocial anxiety, depression and avoidance problems..it is 5 times as hard at creating and maintaining a relationship..in fact it seems almost impossible unless you find the perfect woman.

ive met girlfriends through friends, at school but they never lasted over a month or so.its wayy too stressful and exhausting trying to 'keep up' with social requirements of a relationship so im now single and yeah, thats it

Section_31

I met my wife while dating her best friend =X

Not what it sounds like!. Me and that girl broke up, and she hthought me and her best friend wuold be perfect for eachother, which we were.

We both have S/A, and we lean on eachother to get through the days.

1BlackSheep

Most of the guys I've dated I met at work, which is really not a good thing! Only one boyfriend I met at a bar, back in my younger days. I tried Match.com but the men I met seemed to be still hung-up on their ex's! :eek: I do know someone who met and married her hubby on Match though.

A gal I work with reconnected with one of her brother's friends on FB and they're now engaged!

SilverSky

Boyfriends I either met through other friends or on myspace. It's a lot easier to talk to them over the internet than in person..I tend to be so quiet and awkward until I've been around them a while. But I found that people that fell for me just through the phone or email ended up really liking me in person, versus someone I meet and can barely talk to in person for the first time because they don't get a chance to know me.

I met my husband in the military, we were stationed together. I was in a confident phase of my life where I wasn't afraid to go after him and put myself out there of course drinking helped (not a drinker anymore). I found that I'm way better in 1 on 1 situations than in a group. Add in a few people and I clam up and feel uncomfortable. He's very outgoing and talkative, we are very different that way. But he prefers to stay at home playing games or on the computer so there isn't much argument there.

I find it difficult though to be in a relationship, I don't like meeting his friends, usually out at a loud party or going to meet his family and having them bombard me with questions. I try to be likeable but I can't find anything to say and I feel overwhelmed and he doesn't understand this. Our first fight was because I didn't feel comfortable going to a party to meet about 20 people he worked with for the first time, I felt like I was being forced into it and he yelled at me til I gave in. So I'd say, that if the person you are with doesn't understand at all how you feel, that it can be a challenge. I know it must be frustrating to be with someone like me. I always feel like the problem in any relationship.

Also I need my privacy and he's one to say "What are you doing? What are you reading online?" etc and it drives me nuts. He'll be in my space and follow me in the house 0_o to him it's just being loving, to me it's too much and makes me grouchy.

Last edited:

megalon

I've never been in a relationship but my brother actually met his soon-to-be wife on craigslist believe it or not. It was recommended to him by a friend who also met his wife on craigslist. He said a guy can post a short profile in the personals section and the women would actually message them, instead of the other way around, and sure enough that's how it worked in both cases.

Kinetik

I met my first wife at a college frat party in '04 (stay classy, Kinetik). Met my current fiancee online in '07 - we were platonic at first as I was still married, but when that went downhill, there was no reason to hold back anymore.

winterx6

i have never had a boyfriend, it dont bother me, but i suppose i would prefer someone who also had a Social Anxiety problem. i think for everyone it can be different. ive had it since i was a child, it left alot of dark memories.

Silatuyok

1st boyfriend/husband: met at summer job when I was in highschool.
2nd boyfriend: met in taekwondo class.
3rd quasi boyfriend: my sister's boyfriend's brother, which was awkward.
4th through current boyfriends: Match.com. <<definitely the best results from this method.

Last GirlFriend: She knock at my door! First time I saw her...

(no, she didn't came to install internet : P )

Felgen

Met both girlfriends on the internet; met casual flings at parties and online sites.

I met my significant other on an extasy high in a crazy after party, at the end of the night we crashed next to eachother... after that night i started growing out of the whole "drug phase" and realized that drugs/alcohol were just crutches to my SA. As i grew older i stopped drinking, hard drugs (cocaine/extsy) and party type scenerios.
This made my SA a lot more apparent. Being also, a type 1 bipolar and having mild OCD, it definetly takes a lot of understanding and communication. It may even be harder to endure for your gf/bf, than for yourself, but i can seriously tell you, if there is love you can live an extraordinary and happy life next to a partner (with/without SA) like i have for 7 years (ups and downs included),,,

PS> Only i have SA, and he is the complete opposite and befriends everyone who comes along....