Have you had any therapy?

Have you had any therapy?

• Yes

Votes: 111 58.7%
  • No

Votes: 78 41.3%

• Total voters
I've had a lot of therapy, but it never did much for me personally as far as mentality and thought process goes. It has opened some doors for me, though. They gave me help parents would otherwise give. I have no relationship with my dad, and the one I have with my mom is also distant, so it was strange- but welcome help.

When it comes down to hardcore mental change, I'm my own therapist. It's a trail and error process in concept, experimentation and result. While it's very difficult to do, it also comes with dozens and dozens of experience.

Zach

No I haven't, I just don't have the money for that. My job doesn't have health coverage either. My parents and sister suggested that I try and go see a counselor, and said they would be willing to pay for it. I told them no, because I hate borrowing money from people.::(:

Hottie

No I haven't, I just don't have the money for that. My job doesn't have health coverage either. My parents and sister suggested that I try and go see a counselor, and said they would be willing to pay for it. I told them no, because I hate borrowing money from people.::(:

Im sure you could find low/reduced cost counselling? Also some places where i lives the cost is what ever you can afford. My frined only pays a 10 as thats all she can afford. Do some research on it...

But in my opinion, you are best off finding that support

sullyS25

I had therapy and it helped me take small steps. That was the traditional psychological approach therapy though. Then when I was in drug and alcohol abuse treatment I had a counselor that didnt take the traditional approach and made more progress with me in 28 days than had been made in years of counseling. I think it is all about finding the right therapist for you

IamThisOne

I go to therapy about every week to talk with my counselor.

I go to the psychiatrist about every month and he deals with my medication.

It's actually pretty fun to talk with my counselor because she is not that older than me and she is ultra nice.

Porcupine

I think the thing that helped me the most so far was a diagnosis, and being given some literature.

I did see a therapist for a couple of years. Well, two really. The first one was terribly cute and I quickly found that I was falling in love with her. I think she sensed that because she dumped me. Her replacement wasn't so cute and I found that I couldn't motivate myself to do my homework or even make it in to the sessions on time for her. Maybe the only reason I was doing the work and showing up in the first place was to impress the cute therapist.

Anyway, that was supposed to be CBT, and was supposed to last only a short time. I don't remember how long. 12 sessions? It got dragged out a lot longer because I was lazy. It really stopped being CBT after I got dumped.

Surrogate

No.. my arrogance and self diginity prevents me from seeking such help from these professionals. I prefer to solve these types of problems on my own, and that's probably why I'm still stuck as I am in the first place, haha!

NGP

started recently cbt therapy. I have seen major improvements since then, though it is just two months. I know its not gonna last like this, if i want a permanent change i have to practice and practice and practice... and practice.

darkrider

Yes when I was young (like about 6 or 7) I remembering seeing 2 psychiatrists. None of which were successful. IMO they're just scams.

Duraldo

Yes...many times since i was 13. The first time it was simply because i was a kid who talked backed to my parents, so that apparently made me a "problem child", wasnt even smoking yet or anything. Then again a few times later by my choice, it has yet to help. the last guy i went to tried to push antidepressents on me, after i told him i feel very unconfortable taking antidepressents (they dont always work right), he got offensive, and started tearing me apart telling me how awful I am. Thats when i ended that. So yeah, they never ever helped.

On the side note, i've had much more sucess with strippers lol. Not that i go and pay for a dance (i think i have done that maybe once), some reason they always seem to sit and want to chat with me, so i sell myself as the most awful personality in the world :p (what do i care what a stripper thinks), I almost ALWAYS feel better (never spending more then like 10 bucks on drinks, i'm frugal when i go lol)

Hottie

No.. my arrogance and self diginity prevents me from seeking such help from these professionals. I prefer to solve these types of problems on my own, and that's probably why I'm still stuck as I am in the first place, haha!

Hey,

You should give it a go...who knows???????

:)

bitingthepea

been on anxiety pills n they were crap so got put in for counselling next week ! very scared as i no im gona cry infront of the guy n ill look alika wolly

Hottie

been on anxiety pills n they were crap so got put in for counselling next week ! very scared as i no im gona cry infront of the guy n ill look alika wolly

ah dont worry about looking like a wolly :)

Hard not to worry about it just remember that you are doing this for the better. Hope it goes well for you :)

xMonkeyx

i saw a psychologist then went on antidepressants then nothing for a while and then antidepressants again but i hate them so i stopped and now im seeing a phychologist again!

avo!dant

I've been to therapy for things not regarding SA. I didn't like it. I don't think it helped at all and I felt cheated out of my $$$. So I've refused to go for SA.

idk123

I'm 17 and I don't have the money for therapy. If I talk to my parents about it the wouldn't understand. My mom would probably get mad at me and tell me everyone feels the way I do sometimes.

Over about 10 years i saw several therapists - psycho-therapists, family therapists, councellors. None of them worked a bit. I'm beyond therapy, even back then. It was just "all talk". But then i didn't really put much of their advice into action, and that i suspect is the key - them giving you useful/practical ideas on WHAT TO DO ... and YOU DOING THEM.
But i recall reading somewhere recently that that the majority of therapy simply doesn't work for people (implies even if they do what suggested?), and i'd have to agree, as i think the mental health industry is still fairly much in its "infancy" - LONG way to go before it reaches an adequately-successful level.

cloudbound

Over about 10 years i saw several therapists - psycho-therapists, family therapists, councellors. None of them worked a bit. I'm beyond therapy, even back then. It was just "all talk". But then i didn't really put much of their advice into action, and that i suspect is the key - them giving you useful/practical ideas on WHAT TO DO ... and YOU DOING THEM.
But i recall reading somewhere recently that that the majority of therapy simply doesn't work for people (implies even if they do what suggested?), and i'd have to agree, as i think the mental health industry is still fairly much in its "infancy" - LONG way to go before it reaches an adequately-successful level.

I agree with you to some extent, I have had a lot of therapists over the years and they never helped in the slightest. I'm in therapy right now and I am much more willing to help myself than I was before, and now I can do small stuff that I would usually find difficult. I don't hold high expectations for it though. I know as soon as I get to the big stuff I'm gonna freak and run. Which brings me back to my original point - if you can stick it out and do exactly what they are telling you I believe theres a good chance of recovery, especially with cbt since it's so intense. But thats also what makes it so hard, for me anyway.

Sorry if that makes no sense.