Have you had any therapy?

Have you had any therapy?

• Yes

Votes: 111 58.7%
  • No

Votes: 78 41.3%

• Total voters

corvax

I've been to therapy on-and-off since 9 (I'm 20 now), with the longest consecutive stretch of time being 5 years.

I don't think it helped that much. Up until I was 16, I was honestly so depressed that I couldn't really see anything ever changing for the better. I was too dispirited and pessimistic to try anything they suggested because I was so certain it wouldn't work. It's hard to help somebody like that. A few of the therapists I saw along the way were terrible, which didn't really help my situation.

I don't go anymore. I think sometimes I should, but eh.

Last edited:

awkwardamanda

I voted no, but I guess that's not 100% true. It wasn't therapy for mental illness, anyway. I've been diabetic since I was 11. I went to a special diabetes clinic where I saw an endocrinologist, a nurse, a dietician and a social worker. I absolutely hated that place. I butted heads with every one of them. We did not get along. They had no idea how to handle me. I stormed out of that place crying so many times. Fortunately I was transferred to an adult doctor once I turned 18. Sometimes I spoke with the social worker alone. Sometimes my mom came in too. The main point was that she was there to help people cope with living with diabetes, but often we talked about other things too. I didn't like her. She was just way too happy and optimistic for me. I'm bitter and pessimistic. I clash with people like that. She didn't get me at all. I don't want to be happy and optimistic. I don't like when people try to force their help on me. I honestly don't remember a lot of what we talked about, but I'm pretty sure I kept most of what was bothering me to myself. It wasn't obvious to her that I was depressed. I didn't realize it at the time either but I definitely was. I certainly had issues socializing but I'm not sure how much we talked about that. Probably a little. Her experience was mainly dealing with diabetic kids. That doesn't really make her an expert in mental illness. I forget the stats but I've read that diabetics have a greater chance of developing anxiety and depression than the general population, which doesn't surprise me at all. If the point was to try and prevent that from happening, it didn't work. I'm well aware that being diabetic is one of the reasons for all of my issues. But I guess it wasn't clear what was going on because I wasn't comfortable enough to actually open up and talk about everything that was wrong in my life. Definitely not a good experience.

I've thought about going to therapy sometime but I'm really not sure about it. It's not happening any time soon. I don't want my family or friends to know about my problems and there's no way I'd be able to go and still keep it a secret right now. Also, I'd have to find the right sort of person and that could be difficult. I wouldn't know where to start. I don't want to see a psychiatrist. Not unless I need some sort of medication (and I'm not taking any right now) that's beyond what my family doctor can give me. I'm confused about who can do what. There are counsellors, clinical psychologists, counselling psychologists, psychotherapists, whatever. I dunno, "therapist" is kind of a generic term that can mean a lot of things and I've tried to learn what the difference is but it still isn't clear. If I go I want someone who's capable of making a diagnosis. Knowing what's actually wrong might give me a little peace of mind. And I would need someone with experience in a lot of areas - someone who can deal with depression, social anxiety, personality disorders, OCD, sexual abuse. It could be tough to find someone with the right expertise. It could also be tough finding someone I'm willing to open up to. If I don't feel comfortable at the beginning I'm not likely to stick around. I'm not sure what I would even want out of therapy. CBT does not interest me. I'm not that eager to do whatever they say to get better. I'm not about to change myself and try to be normal. I think I'd just like to talk. It might be nice to just to have someone to vent to and who can help me learn to be more functional. But then I'm the type of person who's stubborn and doesn't like people helping me with anything.

Even if I decide I should give it a try, I'd likely just put it off and put it off. I'm a terrible procrastinator. Also, my biggest hurdle is making phone calls. Absolute worst anxiety-invoking situation I know of. It's terrible. I avoid making phone calls at all costs. Just calling a therapist for information and to make an appointment would be hell. So, I just might put it off to the point of never bothering. Or, if it didn't work out I would dread having to call to find someone else and would likely just put that off to. The reasons I need therapy are gonna prevent me from ever getting it. I dunno if it's for me. May never find out.

Last edited:

Nanita

CBT doesn´t work for me. I understand that it´s helping some people, but not me.

I have been in a CBT group for the past 6 months, it has been frustrating to me because it seems that it isn´t on a very deep level.
Trying to change my behaviour or though patterns as the CBT suggests, is not working for me.
I think what I need is to look at some traumas from the past, to understand them and somehow get relief from them. This kind of work can be done. I have read about it a lot.

Whenever I´m in the CBT group and I bring up traumas from my childhood, none of the terapists respond to it.......Other than "I´m sorry you had to go through that".

I would really really like to try something like psychodynamic therapy, which deals with the reasons or traumas that caused a person to have heavy mental and emotional problems.

Problem: CBT is what is offered in the psychiatric hospitals in my country. And it´s free for people with a psychiatric diagnosis.
Any therapy on a deeper level , as I like to call it, is not free, and I can´t afford it at all.

I feel lost.
They offer me help and treatment, but it´s NOT working.

Last edited:

irish_bob

since 1998 , have had less than a dozen sessions with several different professionals , i dont really believe in it to be honest , it might give you a warm feeling for a day or so but the effect wears off , im old fashioned , the way i look at it , thier were no shrinks a thousand years ago

PhantomPod

Nope. I've thought about going to talk to a therapist before, and I've looked online to try and find some in my area, but I've never gone. I do think I would benefit from it, so maybe I'll get around to setting up an appointment sometime soon.

Entangled

I am currently in therapy and I really think it helps me. It has taught me how to help stop my negative thinking patterns.