Have you ever try to be yourself with people you just met?

da_illest101

I want to try this at least once, obviously i'm scared as hell of doing it, so did anyone did that and how did it go?

a small example if someone ask you what you did the last week end and you'll answer: i stayed in my room all day long and went to work then went back in my room ( my last week-end::(: ) instead of saying nothing

I am only the way I am now because I was teased so intensely for being myself when I was young. I've never been game enough to try again, even though I want to, and know that I should!...But the circumstances are different for you, because you are an adult.

philly2bits

I don't show my "true" self to people I am uncomfortable with. I'd like to be able to, but whenever I try nothing comes out.

sullyS1985

I am only the way I am now because I was teased so intensely for being myself when I was young. I've never been game enough to try again, even though I want to, and know that I should!...But the circumstances are different for you, because you are an adult.

i have a very familiar experience Manyd (im guessing that is your name if not im sorry). Were you teased intensely by a group of people or one person in general. For me it was my brother and his friends, ive always wondered if anyone else experienced this as a kid also

Nack

Banned
totally, they couldn't stand my low soft voice and the sense of humor. Its all about sarcasim... :C

Flowers-Of-Bloom

I'm pretty sure it's mentally impossible for me to "be myself" around anyone unfamiliar - even fairly familiar. I just don't have the frame of mind to relax and say whatever I want.

Why

last year when i dormed, i often tried to pretend to be someone else, a cool guy and that didnt work well. Didnt really make alot of cool friends by being someone else.

this year, im tryin to be myself more
for exmaple
"all i did this weekend is do hw and sit at my house"
"my life consists of school and sleeping"

the sorta ppl i hang out with dont rlly mind since they arent the most exciting ppl neways.. atleast i can be myself instead of wearing a mask

Lorraine Manca

interesting thread, as a kid whenever i had to go somewhere important, my mother would take me and say, please, dont "be yourself" during this. which is hilarious looking back on it! "being yourself" is really too much to do to a person you just met. for me it normally results in inappropriate humor that makes everyone uncomfortable.
i think the old saying 'just be yourself' is complete b.s. just say it to your room mate the next time they go on a date. the phrase will immediately make them clench up and look like you just told them they have to go feel up large marge.

shore_of_glass

I think that a person has many sides, so its kinda impossible to be "yourself". For example, I have a side of me that I only show to close friends, another side I show to family, another one to casual friends...

that's why I find it very weird and awkward when family and friends mix up.

To people I've just met I have a very dry and shy (obviously) side. If I'd show another side it would be the close friends side or family side etc, which would be rather weird lol.

It's like, if u have the guts, you make a nice pleasant joke to someone you've just met, something you are somewhat sure they will understand and find funny. Obviously you make another kind of joke to every other kind of people you know, according to the "group" they are inserted in.

And, in the end, you have the side you don't show to anyone or, at least, to one or two people you trust very much.

that's the way I think because I never feel the same, I never know who I am

Silvox Black

Well, I have done such things before, but I have created such a personality that I can easily deflect any remarks they may have of such things. I would not recommend doing this to anyone you meet however, attempt this with close friends and companions. As for the other people of the masses, why should they know the truth? Do they need to know?

hippiechild

Ya, like totallies! It doesn't really matter because I'm almost never with people and when I am it's completely uneventful. However, I will not hold back if some poor soul decides to talk with me. Their peril is taken along with their talking... can no longer tell what I should or shouldn't say.. mumble mumble... bizarre sentences, broken down trains of thought...more boring mumbling. That's the gist of me and.... I can't remember how to be afraid of myself escaping.

you have to be yourself, no matter how dark, lonely, scared, angry, etc it might be around SOME people. and the people that accept you for you, will be your good friends, or maybe just one. but one is a hell of a lot better than none.

Like others on here, I have also at times become someone else in order to fit in, or become someone that I think others will like more.

What I have learned is that some of my best friends have become friends because I was being "myself" when I initially met them. I now realize that when i'm my true self things can go well.

My problem is that on most days i feel like I am trapped in a dream and only get to experience brief moments in time that i feel like expressing my true personality. I have not figured out why i can't completely break out of the dream...i have good days and bad days with this.

dark_horse

Did you have any success making friends by petending to be someone else? If not be yourself. At least then you are honest with yourself... We make out a pretty small percentage of the population. Most people would welcome something diffirent...

Emily_G

I try really hard to be myself....stutter and all. But it's natural for me to become covert..so that's what I usually do, I hate it so much.