Have you ever jumped into a hole in the ice?

I'm going to jump down in one soon and yes, I am a bit scared. I know i can't disappear under the ice but the cold is indescribable. I will probably end up in shock and die because of it. Before i can come up from the dark cold water, i have to say ''My name is *first and last name* and this is how it feels to live in a freezer''. It takes about 20 seconds and i have to say it calmly and slowly like I'm not affected by the icy water at all.

I'm pretty mad at my teacher atm. Not because I have to jump down a hole, but that people will stand and stare and i have to talk infront of them. It's already difficult as it is, so how am i supposed to talk in schock? ..

I have to wear a stupid helmet too and look like a mixture of an cork and a mollusc. I don't look forward to this at all.

So, have you ever jumped into a hole in the ice? how was it like?

Lea

Banned
Uh, why do you have to jump there, I don't understand. Is it what you do at school?

lyricalliaisons

I've never even heard of something like that, especially not of a teacher telling their teacher to do something like it. It seems illegal. Or at least it should be.

Krista

Um, I'm confused on this? It seems like it's not actually legal to do? What kind of school are you attending where you're forced or made to do this?

And not that I am bashing what you say but I don't think any of us have done that o_O

Danfalc

Banned
I have no idea either,but could maybe be a controlled situation with protective clothes on and a life jacket (I hope so!)To show the effects of how quick heat depreivation can set in and confuse you (maybe why you have to say your name when you get out?)

Still if this is all a learning experience,why cant the bloody teacher do it? 0_o

mrb

yea well teacher or no teacher you wouldnt get me doing it ... id say no way buster , you want to jump in there you carry on but im not doing it :mad:

davidburke

I have no idea either,but could maybe be a controlled situation with protective clothes on and a life jacket (I hope so!)To show the effects of how quick heat depreivation can set in and confuse you (maybe why you have to say your name when you get out?)

Still if this is all a learning experience,why cant the bloody teacher do it? 0_o
ive heard of people in finland and sweden jumping into icy water while having
a sauna that might be safer i didn't think they do it in schools though lol

After a sauna it's normal to jump in cold water or roll over on the snow. It doesn't feel very bad. But to jump in cold water without a reason and say the name, never tried. What's the reason of doing that? People sometimes do these crazy things in cold countries. Now it's -18 C outside I wouldn't want to do that... It's enough for me to go for a walk with a dog for half an hour...

ive heard of people in finland and sweden jumping into icy water while having
a sauna that might be safer i didn't think they do it in schools though lol

Yep, they do - they were even doing it in Hyde Park a few weeks ago. It’s supposed to be good for your health. :rolleyes:

shock treatment, either with electricity or cold water is barbaric

But I heard these things are good. Shock treatment with cold water helps depressed people. Electricity... Don't know, I seen in a movie that it helps too:D I mean "Beautiful mind".

My teacher wants us to know how it feels to be in a situation like that because it could happen in the winter when you're fishing or something. Maybe i have to save someone from a hole in the ice some day .. lol.

Anyho, it's not illegal and we don't use saunas, that's what finish people do. Guess it happens here too but it's unusual.

And my teacher .. he's great but sometimes he comes up with this crazy ideas. Like last year when we were forced to rescue eachother in a lake with leaves up to our waists. It was very strong current and the water was .. + 10 . I couldn't breathe, it was really tough. I doubt that i survive next time when the temperature is -10 up to -20.
And he's always taking pictures, that's the scariest part. I almost died and he's standing there with his camera to get a good shot of it.

Krista

My teacher wants us to know how it feels to be in a situation like that because it could happen in the winter when you're fishing or something. Maybe i have to save someone from a hole in the ice some day .. lol.

Anyho, it's not illegal and we don't use saunas, that's what finish people do. Guess it happens here too but it's unusual.

And my teacher .. he's great but sometimes he comes up with this crazy ideas. Like last year when we were forced to rescue eachother in a lake with leaves up to our waists. It was very strong current and the water was .. + 10 . I couldn't breathe, it was really tough. I doubt that i survive next time when the temperature is -10 up to -20.
And he's always taking pictures, that's the scariest part. I almost died and he's standing there with his camera to get a good shot of it.

Wow, I never knew this was allowed in schools? At least not school in America I don't think. We got in trouble once just because our gym teacher wanted to show us how to use fire arms..

I never did these kind of things in school... It's pretty extreme. Once I had to go running in cold weather without warm clothes. The snow was around and it was a bit slippery. But that was my fault because I missed a lot of classes...
I think I could understand these kind of things, because they happen sometimes. I remember when a car drowned in the lake because the ice wasn't thick enough... And they were just having fun on ice.

Danfalc

Banned
But I heard these things are good. Shock treatment with cold water helps depressed people. Electricity... Don't know, I seen in a movie that it helps too:D I mean "Beautiful mind".

Electricity..no..not from what I know anyway.My dad had ECT,which they basicaly induce seizures by electrical currents.All it did too my Dad was ruin his memory.Maybe my Dad was just unlucky but I wouldnt want to risk it.

Electroconvulsive therapy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

klytus

Sorry, but I don't believe that, unintended. Show me where those activities are listed in Sweden's standard curriculum. Any such deviation from that plan would be illegal - at least in basically all other European countries.