Have you ever jumped into a hole in the ice?

Wow, I never knew this was allowed in schools? At least not school in America I don't think. We got in trouble once just because our gym teacher wanted to show us how to use fire arms..

Oh dear, why would you guys need to know how to use those things? especially when there are so many people in this world who use weapons for the wrong purposes.

Danfalc

Banned

Wow thats crazy..but I guess in a way,its like when you have fire demonstrations over here,and you have a tent filled with smoke and you have to escape..though thats real freezing ice and water..:eek:

I still think your bloody teacher should be doing it if its all about education,id bloody boot him in and say,teach by example :D

Being serious though isnt it dangrous,a friend of mine fell through ice when he was little,and he got trapped under the ice as he panicked once he had gone under I guess.Ive also nearly drowned a few times so I know how easy panic can kick in under water if you dont control it.Your a braver guy than i am!I wouldnt go near it.

klytus

It's not about that. Of course, everyone who wants to do that, can do it. But is it legal for a teacher to make his students do that? With his explanation, basically everything could be done, in the name of education and experience. That can't be legal. Does he not need your parents' consent? What if a student has a medical condition that may kill him during such a sudden temperature shock?

Pookah

Here (USA) that is considered way dangerous. Your body shouldn't be shocked like that. What if one of you had a heart or lung condition and it caused harm?

Silvox Black

Well I have heard of odd teaching methods but this is by far one of the strangest...if you must jump I suggest that before you do, inhale and exhale deeply. Clear your mind from fear and doubt. It will ease the shivering and make it more bearable.

Wow thats crazy..but I guess in a way,its like when you have fire demonstrations over here,and you have a tent filled with smoke and you have to escape..though thats real freezing ice and water..:eek:

I still think your bloody teacher should be doing it if its all about education,id bloody boot him in and say,teach by example :D

Being serious though isnt it dangrous,a friend of mine fell through ice when he was little,and he got trapped under the ice as he panicked once he had gone under I guess.Ive also nearly drowned a few times so I know how easy panic can kick in under water if you dont control it.Your a braver guy than i am!I wouldnt go near it.

A tent filled with real smoke i mean, toxic smoke? that's awful.
and yeah, my teacher is special but nice sometimes.
That's my biggest nightmare to be trapped under the ice or water. You and your friend are strong because you survived it and you live with it every day.

It's not about that. Of course, everyone who wants to do that, can do it. But is it legal for a teacher to make his students do that? With his explanation, basically everything could be done, in the name of education and experience. That can't be legal. Does he not need your parents' consent? What if a student has a medical condition that may kill him during such a sudden temperature shock?

We can go there and be prepared to jump down but if we decide not to, it can lower the grade. He can't force anyone but he thinks it's good for us to know how it feels, to understand what actually happens with our bodies in that temperature. I don't need my parents consent because i'm 18. Well my teacher is not that bad, ofcourse he wouldn't force someone with a medical condition. that would be a little harsh :p

Here (USA) that is considered way dangerous. Your body shouldn't be shocked like that. What if one of you had a heart or lung condition and it caused harm?

I've thought about that too and i should probably ask him about it. Hopefully there are paramedics on site.

Well I have heard of odd teaching methods but this is by far one of the strangest...if you must jump I suggest that before you do, inhale and exhale deeply. Clear your mind from fear and doubt. It will ease the shivering and make it more bearable.

hah, well thank you for the tips, i might need it! i don't know how i'm supposed to have the ability to speak while i'm in that water though.

philly2bits

I accidentally slipped through the ice once when I was a kid. The water was not deep and the water only went up to my waist but it's certainly not something I would want to do ever again. It's extremely painful.

Pookah

Most people when jumping into extremely cold water have involuntary hyperventilation. I suspect he is trying to show that you can't say the words calmly.

Danfalc

Banned
A tent filled with real smoke i mean, toxic smoke? that's awful.
and yeah, my teacher is special but nice sometimes.
That's my biggest nightmare to be trapped under the ice or water. You and your friend are strong because you survived it and you live with it every day.

No the smoke is harmless :) Just it reduces visibilty like a real fire/smoke would,so you have to crawl and your hands and feet below it to see where you were going.

I was never trapped under ice,was seperate incedents I just got swept out from a strong current in the sea..I dont feel stronger for surviving it just lucky,But thanks :)

Danfalc

Banned
Most people when jumping into extremely cold water have involuntary hyperventilation. I suspect he is trying to show that you can't say the words calmly.

This,yeah I think the whole point of the exercise will be to show after extreme shock,that your brain just wont function the same.

klytus

We can go there and be prepared to jump down but if we decide not to, it can lower the grade.
This would be enough for me to report the teacher, or switch schools. The fact that students are influenced towards doing such a thing - that is, implicitly forced to do something of this kind, this way, is just wrong. Who would prevent that guy from showing his students what it's like to be sexually tortured, and how people lose their rationality when subjected to extreme pain and humiliation? I mean, nobody would have to do it - but if you don't, it can lower the grade.

Either you are lying, or this guy is sick and should be reported.

Iseesky

Goodness...That's an odd way for a teacher to get his message across!
If a teacher here in Canada even thought about doing something like that they'd be fired so fast! I don't blame you for not wanting to do it...But, I'm sure you could argue against it dropping your mark if you choose not to do it. That's rather unfair of him!

Either way, it's not going to teach you anymore than you know now. Everyone knows that icy water is icy. Everyone knows that the body starts to slow down in such a low temperature. What else do you need to know? Is your teacher going to light his students on fire so they know what it feels like to burn? Sounds silly to me! Hopefully you can get out of it somehow.

mrb

I accidentally slipped through the ice once when I was a kid. The water was not deep and the water only went up to my waist but it's certainly not something I would want to do ever again. It's extremely painful.

but your a knight philly ... your not telling me a brave fearsome defender of good against all bad things is afraid of a little cold water :eek: well thats not going to be anygood when the vikings attack again is it :rolleyes:

Um... I think 60º F weather is cold. Just thought I'd add that to this conversation. Yeah. Not sure how I'd handle ice water.

I saw this movie once where a boy fell through the ice and then drifted underneath the sheets. Then died.

Last edited: