Have you always had SA?

NathanielWingatePeaslee

Iä! Iä! Cthulhu fhtagn!
Staff member
I've only recently begun really looking into understanding this stuff, and I've seen a few cases where apparently people didn't always have the problem, but somehow grow into it.

I can remember as far back as pre-k viewing other humans as loud, incomprehensible creatures that were best avoided.

Barra79

i think i always had it, was always shyer than most people even as a kid, i read somewhere that its genetic

Emily_G

It varied for me. Not sure about elementary school. Jr high I was really shy, most of high school I was very loud, annoying, etc...a typical teen. Then I went to college and that's when signs of SA started, and it got really bad when I became more overt about my stuttering.

reslo

I can remember as far back as pre-k viewing other humans as loud, incomprehensible creatures that were best avoided.

lol i like your description:D
i've always been shy and awkward.

i remember being in kindergarted and feeling stupid and on the outside- not feeling like a part of various groups my mom signed me up for at the time. never been popular throughout school, always wanted to be.

shyness awkwardness low self-esteem- those i've had all my life. i think it wasn't until college i realized how bad my shyness was. im 23 now, and its only been in the past year that ive realized that i need to eventually get outside help to get over this.

206Raider

I was talkative and very popular in school but I feel I started getting SA in middle school but maybe I always had it? I had lots of friends but when I look back I think I got shyer and shyer every year to the point where 2009 I didn't have a whole lot of fun becuase of it. This year is going to be different though, I'm going to talk to my therapist tommorow and I'm going back to school and I just feel much more confident and I'm talking to old friends I used to hang out with and they want to hang out again (which makes me nervous but I'll go through with it) and hopefully I can make 2010 a new beggining.

megalon

In the memories I have from when I was in elementary school it seems like I was a talkative, normal kid with friends. The strange thing is that now I don't feel like I ever changed. I feel like I've had SA forever and there is no point in my life when I can look back and say "this point is when the SA started."

narwhals

Nope. I'm pretty sure I started getting it when I moved during my first year of middle school. Since then, I haven't really changed awkward-wise.

Krista

I know I've had it for awhile, a long time actually. It's been manageable in the past but this last year, I feel, it's really blown up. I look back on situations in school and other things where it would rear it's head but funny how it gets more severe being out.

johnny 85

nope i did not have it all my life. in my teens i was a bit low in confidence but i really enjoyed goin out and was quiet a chatterbox. i only started to experience SA symtoms when i was 20 . i know now that half the cause of my social anxiety was self inflicted

ahazaq2

No, not at all. I'm a senior in high school this year, it only started freshman year. I always used to be shy, but never like this.

Lorraine Manca

i've always had it. its gotten worse over time. thats part of why its so hard for me to believe it can be overcome, i cant imagine life with out it.