Have People Ever Made You Feel Unworthy?

FriendlyShadow

You know the ones I'm talking about. People who like to jokingly call you their "Slave" and push you to your limits. People who like to take more than they give. People who are never satisfied about anything you do for them. I don't feel like going into too much detail though. In my experiences, no matter what I do for other people (even the ones I love) they have a habit of taking me for granted. I mean, I work so hard (physically) for them, yet these people like to refer me as their "Maid" and overwork me until I drop. In fact, it seems like they see me more as a maid than a human being. I have a feeling it's never gonna stop. I shouldn't have to live like this all my life, especially not at 21. :sad:

Last edited:

lily

it's rude to call you a maid. it's odd. I've made a thread of how it was for me in junior high. i highlighted certain things. other than that i guess there r people in the world who would make you feel unworthy due to their own issues or feeling of superiority

FriendlyShadow

Are they like bullies? Or at least energy vampires?

More like emotional vampires. Here's the problem I've been having. A lot of people I've came across in my life have either treated or viewed me as some sort of female servant. I mean, it's not that I don't mind helping people out now and then, but there's certain ones who tend to overburden me. I think a lot of people literally assume I'm able to do so much more than I can handle. Like, for instance, before I quit working at the animal shelter, my boss would always assign me to either rake outside all day (yes, even in the rain and snow) or have me clean and feed 7 or 8 different cages filled with so many animals and other crap they shoved in those cages.

I was almost ALWAYS expected to do the most laborious tasks compared to the other people working there. I know it was just for 4 hours, but there were even times I couldn't even finish my tasks because there was just so much to do! Not only that, but I felt like my boss never appreciated all the hard work I put myself through. She rarely had anything positive to say other than pointing out things I did wrong and even go as far as to asking if I was disabled. And then every time someone would be at my house, they'd always make comments like "Oh I should have you come over and have you mow my lawn." or " Jamie's our little slave/maid." because they either see me cleaning or taking care of someone else.

Even my mother would persistently ask me to give her back rubs for at least 3 hours! I remember one time after I came home working from the animal shelter, she asked for a back rub, and I told her I couldn't right now because I felt kind of tired myself and she flat out told me to go away. So you know what I did, being the little b*tch that I am, I sucked it up and gave into her. I'm literally damned if I do and damned if I don't! :veryangry:

She even calls me as her personal maid because I do all these things for her, but it doesn't stop her from treating me like crap. I can never have a good day. I can never feel good about myself... and I don't even feel alive. I'm literally trapped inside my own body and who knows what might happen if I keep letting all this stress pile on me. I'll probably have a stroke or an aneurysm or something. I sometimes just have no choice but to cry it out. At the end of the day, I'm wiped out and emotionally drained.

DeadmanWalking

It sounds like you're in a very poisonous environment and need a way out. They're taking advantage of you because of the weakness they see in you. Based on your posts, it seems like you're the type that dislikes confrontation. And there's nothing wrong with that. It's an admirable quality to want to help other people and to seek peace. But, there are times when you will have to stand up for yourself, no matter what someone's saying or doing. If you set a boundary and firmly enforce it, people will back off. You might make some people angry or upset in doing so, but you shouldn't have to break your back in order to please the people in your life. Especially if they're going to treat you as some sort of slave labor, as if they're entitled to your goodwill.

It's going to be a process. I can't say how long. But, never, ever, bottle your emotions up. They will find a way out eventually. And maybe not in a way that's healthy or in a form you're comfortable with. You like to write, so use that as a way to vent your emotions when it becomes too much. I know I like to enter my imagination and vent my problems out through there. So, use your emotions as a muse to inspire different storylines in your mind and give yourself freedom from the strain of holding everything in.

theoutsider

You know the ones I'm talking about. People who like to jokingly call you their "Slave" and push you to your limits. People who like to take more than they give. People who are never satisfied about anything you do for them. I don't feel like going into too much detail though. In my experiences, no matter what I do for other people (even the ones I love) they have a habit of taking me for granted. I mean, I work so hard (physically) for them, yet these people like to refer me as their "Maid" and overwork me until I drop. In fact, it seems like they see me more as a maid than a human being. I have a feeling it's never gonna stop. I shouldn't have to live like this all my life, especially not at 21. :sad:

Yes but I had to learn what to do with them. No matter how much you may love them, those types of people will never appreciate you until you stop doing for them. What I did in most cases was to not only stop doing voluntary things for them, I also stopped doing things for them when they asked if I could. I started telling them I was too busy and had other things I had to take care of. Did some of them get angry? Sure, but most have come to realize I'm not someone to be taken for granted and used. Did I lose some of them due to my not being at their beck and call? Absolutely but I had to realize if the only way I could stay in their lives would be if I took a subservient role, then I didn't need them anyway. Those types are toxic and will only lead you further into depression. There's no reward in being helpful to them and working yourself to death for them.

lily

it's good to be helpful to others but you also have to have time for yourself too and calling you a Maid is rude but God always wants us to help others but i think if they're a disciple and calling you that and they don't admit they're wrong then you r to ignore them.

Last edited: