hate hearing my own voice

recluse

so im working in a supermarket and sometimes i have to wear a headset in order to communicate with colleagues. When you speak into the headset you hear your own voice, and im super self conscious when i hear mine. It actually makes me reluctant to use the headset to contact colleagues. How can i get over the phobia of hearing my own voice?

ImNotMyIllness

Learn to accept it?....As a kid, I had a speech impediment. People would always say, "where is he from." I use to HATE my voice. I was so ashamed.
Now, I accept it. In fact, a lot of women think my voice is very sexy on the phone. And, a lot of females seem to like it in general. But, I still sound like I have an accent. I hate when people ask me where I'm from (I know what they mean) but now I like my voice. I'm okay with it. It's unique.

dancingintherain

Sometimes, cos I have an unusual accent. People told me I sound american, french, polish and german .. and not english. haha

recluse

ive had problems with speech all my life, with problems articulating some letters. I was mocked because of this in school. I am welsh but people say i dont sound typically welsh, some have said i sound slightly irish. I know this sounds absurb but although i am proud to be welsh i hate the accent, and this is why i have an unusual accent from disguiseing it. When i hear my own voice on recordings etc i just hear a weird voice.

jaim38

I'm female, and my voice can sound very dry, cracked, and hoarse, especially when I'm thirsty. Many times, I wish I have a more feminine voice, you know, a voice that is smoother and less hoarse. I used to have an answering machine, and one time, I recorded my own voice on the answering machine. My mom's friend called and heard my voice on the answering machine before she left a message. Later on, she told my mom that she didn't like the voice on the answering machine because it sounded so deep and lackadaisical. She thought the voice belonged to a guy.

coyote

i used to hate hearing my own voice - would literally cringe when it came on during a recording or something

a couple of years ago, i was tasked with recording all the greeting and directory messages on our company's phone system - so now i have to hear myself answer the phone every time i have to call anyone at work

the good news is that this has allowed me to get so used to listening to my voice that it no longer bothers me to hear it!

Last edited:

miserablecow

I think a lot of people feel the same way as you. I hate my own voice too, but I just have to get used to it and get on. Maybe if you listened to yourself more and try to get used to it? I don't know really.

Ignace

i used to hate hearing my own voice - would literally cringe when it came on during a recording or something

a couple of years ago, i was tasked with recording all the greeting and directory messages on our company's phone system - so now i have to hear myself answer the phone every time i have to call anyone at work

the good news is that this has allowed me to get so used to listening to my voice that it no longer bothers me to hear it!

Lol ! :D Nice Coyote, what an honor that they chose you . :D

ClovizKarts

i agree with, Miserablecow. listening to our own voice is weird for everyone. that might me some scientific explanatiom on why that is!

i am from Brasil, i speak portuguese, some times i speak to low and simetimes i mix the words together to fast...

but the worst is speaking other language, i lived in Canada for 18 months, so i know the language, my my speaking is the worst...

this december i was in New York on vacation but my english skills were very frustrating to me. was very disapointing

1BlackSheep

One of the things that was hardest for me when I first started my job at the clinic was overhead paging people on the phone system. EVERYONE hears it and it's very embarrassing if you stumble on your words! Over time, I've gotten used to it though and it doesn't really bother me anymore. I still don't like hearing my recorded voice though! :eek:

aNOTfox

Everyone hates hearing their voice for real when their not used to it. Usually you sound completely different to what you think you do and so it can be a shock to hear yourself. After a while you'll get used to hearing your own voice. You'll sound completely normal to everyone else, it's just that your not used to hearing yourself.

Feel the same dude. When I'm insecure I have a really soft voice. So people ask me, What? then I feel awkward to raise my voice.

I just don't feel confident at all. Not only about my voice. I could list a ton of stuff.

I really should work on that... it is terrible.