Haircuts

Overload

Getting a haircut sucks. I just sit there silently the whole time, and give minimal response if she asks me anything. I feel extremely awkward and worry I'm making them feel the same way. Things get even worse when I feel a yawn or sneeze coming. I focus all my energy on stifling it, and my eyes sometimes get kind of red from it. This makes me worry that I look like I'm about to cry because I don't like my haircut or something, haha.

I don't get my hair cut very often. I kind of like it long, so that helps.

What's your haircut experience like?

Ignace

Well, last time I was in a barber was .. about 5 years ago. Lately my dad cuts my hair. :)

vj288

not actually Fiona Apple
Well I go once a year and get it all cut off, and all I say is "1'' crue cut please" and then he does it. He'll throw in the occasional comment but it's mostly an awkward silence. Not my favorite thing to do for sure.

mrb

funny you should say that i dont like all that small talk at the hair dressers , but i got my hair cut by this polish bloke last sat , he didnt say a word to me , it was great , he made a good job of it as well , hes new there , the bloke who runs the hair dressers when i paid said thanks for your custom mate , hes new here and he doesnt talk much to the customers , but hes good at cutting hair , i said yea well heres your money , i dont like all that chit chat anyways mate :rolleyes: he said really ? i said yes , i like the fellow , then i went to the polish bloke and gave him a really good tip ... he was pleased as punch , he even tapped my arm and said thank you in a freindly way ... no worries mate i said and punched him very lightly in the chest :D we both laughed and then i left , under the watchfull eye of the owner ::p:

Emily_G

I'm pretty quiet too. I've been going to the same lady for 11 years now. (wow 11 yrs?!!? didn't realize it's been that long...) since I was 13. So she knows my personality, she knows that I am quiet. It also makes me more comfortable talking with her, since I know her well. She knows what is going on in my life so conversations are easier to think up. I wouldn't like it if I had a different lady each time. Plus she knows my hair really well....she's older and I think that affects how she cuts hair, but I don't mind as my hair is pretty long so all I get is a trim. I'd love to get highlights one of these days, but she uses the cap....which I hate, maybe I'll ask for foil.

I've definitely opened up more over the last couple years.

Last edited:

sanitariumcalls

Been going to the same woman at the same salon for 2 years, I spend too much money on it but its my damn hair and I don't let just any airhead touch it...

fitftw

I only tell her what I want and then I just sit there and enjoy it and hope she doesn't ask me anything but part of me hopes she does because the silence is excruciating but I don't ever say anything.

I remember my local Barbour the first time I got my hair cut, he asked me loads of questions etc, I just started to talk about video games, he shut up then :D

Bones

Not keen on the barbers either, just an awkward silence for me. Plus I have an eye problem meaning that sometimes they go red, sting and water, that usually happens when I'm in the barbers... they've never said anything though.

Minty

It is awkward. But, it's one of the few situations where I don't feel bad that I'm not talking very much because the hairstylists I've had are fake. It's like...twenty questions, REALLY personal questions, and I think it's rude because I know to them it's just a part of their job and they don't really care about me. I don't want to talk to you about my lack of a job or a boyfriend. I don't even talk about it with my mom these days.

D:

I know it's probably bitchy of me, but it's how I feel. Plus, the lady who cuts my hair is racist XD

coyote

I usually sit quietly, avoiding the small talk

But I like it when she leans in close, breathes in my ear, and brushes her body against me

You have to pick the right stylist

IamThisOne

I hate haircuts. I don't get them often.

The last time I go a hair cut was like six months ago. I got my head shaved. I had hair that was well below my shoulders. People down here really gave me sh!t over my long hair so I shaved my head.

I was waiting in the barber shop and there were all these old men in there. They kept talking about how "long hair looks good on a woman and a horse, but not on no man". Then I come up and get mine cut. They all looked at me and were talking to me. Some of them just sat there shaking their heads.

I guess they didn't give me any crap because I came in with long hair and came out with a shaved head.

I wish I still had my long hair though.

fitftw

^ that was a good story. I remember going to bootcamp with my hair grown out for a year or two and getting it shaved off within 30 seconds...that was crazy...

Jake123

Banned
My sister trims my hair, I never actually cut it. I like to keep it in the same style, all long and pretty. If I ever lost my hair I'd probably kill myself lol

tweetebird

Oh boy, I am way overdue for a haircut. My hair is currently halfway down my back. I get comments about how long it is all the time lately, but the truth is, I just haven't bothered to get it cut yet, and the ends are getting so dead I just wear it back in a bun now. I really hate the environment of most salons, and the awkward silence is made even more awkward when every other person is chattering away effortlessly, and I am the creepy quiet one. The last time I had a haircut, my hairdresser seemed so annoyed with my lack of conversation, I was so glad to get out of there. I dread it...

Dust

I hate talking to the hairdresser partly because I hate to see me talking in the mirror and I always look like a corpse next to that good-looking, buoyant hairdresser. And I hate having my hair cut because I always look way older than I am when she´s done with me but don´t have the guts to say: I don´t like how you made me look, do it again please.

EscapeArtist

Wow that sounds horrible. The last time I went to a hairdresser was about 2 years ago, the hairdresser was very chatty because he knew my family. I went in there with bad directions, assuming he was trained to cut according to my face shape. The cut was horrible, I didn't even want to go outside to go home, and he kept calling me 'the quiet one'. Now I don't cut my hair, ljust et nature take it's path.

Hal

Last time i went for a hair cut i was a kid. I just let it grow now. Maybe you could let yours grow unless you already have long hair.