Had a weird thought

dannyboy65

I was just sitting here and I thought "I wonder where my life would be if that hadn't happened to me?" For instance if I didn't join Biology class in college I would have never met my girlfriend. If I didn't go through so much bullying I would probably be a worse person. If I didn't try to kill myself as many times as I did I wouldn't be a stronger person. Does anyone think of this?

And that trend continues even in small seemingly insignificant parts.

Every dull moment is crucial, and is in very real terms life changing. And even more interesting, a small thing in the past could not only change a singular thing, but put you on a completely different branch of events altogether. And not just your own either, every little thing everyone does, has an effect on everything.

Chaos theory is endlessly compelling that way.

Metal_isthe_Answer

I was just sitting here and I thought "I wonder where my life would be if that hadn't happened to me?" For instance if I didn't join Biology class in college I would have never met my girlfriend. If I didn't go through so much bullying I would probably be a worse person. If I didn't try to kill myself as many times as I did I wouldn't be a stronger person. Does anyone think of this?

I do, stuff like:
What if I had never been in a car wreck that nearly killed me What if I had told someone how I felt about them instead of saying nothing? What if my school had a sports team that people tried to make me join? What if I did join the team?

Pacific_Loner

Pirate from the North Pole
I think about it all the time, it reminds you how much your current actions can change your future, and how much your inaction can do just the opposite.

Kiwong

Yes I do Danny, the battles I had to fight out of necessity, made some dreams become reality. By fighting to survive, I was forced to live.

grammarsweet

I do think of this also and I think there's nothing wrong with it. You're just simply assessing events in your life that made you who you are today. Perfectly normal.

AlienGeranium

I tend to do this a lot with financial decisions. "How much would I have had I not bought this, got that speeding ticket then, didn't live there, lost that, broke that, go to college there." Hopefully someday I'll be so rich this is not something I think about ::p:

FountainandFairfax

in a VAN down by the RIVER
I try not to reflect on things too much.

There's plenty of "coulda woulda shoulda" moments in my life, but there's nothing I can do about any of it now.

theoutsider

I think like that all the time. For instance, I came very close to joining the military some years ago. I mean it came down to something going wrong with the paperwork and me deciding that since I was no longer obligated to join, I no longer wanted to. A few months after that I met one of the most amazing people in my life who totally changed my work ethic and gave me renewed faith in people. Had I joined the military I never would have met this person. However, I wonder what my life had been like if I were shipped off to who knows where if I had joined. Would I have met someone even more amazing? Would I have met my future wife? How long would I have stayed in? Would I have been sent off to war and killed in battle?

I try not to obsess over it, just deciding that fate has me exactly where I am supposed to be. Still, I wonder sometimes.

^ Yes. Thinking like this often crosses my mind.
I wonder if the road I got taken along as a consequence of my mother marrying again when I was 13 is better than the one I would have gone down if she had never married my step-father.
Then I would have finished growing up in a big city instead of a smaller town. I would not have met my evil ex which has put me off relationships for the rest of my life. I would have a better work history. So much would be different. :thinking: