going to the gym

doubleM

i want to go to the gym at my college. but im afraid to walk in there. im afraid to exercise in front of other people. or i could walk in and everything could be occupied, and i would stand there waiting, looking stupid. people might stare at me becuz ive bever been there before. anybody else have this problem?

FinalSolution

If you have any friend go with him 1st time, will be easier. If u dont, then just force yourself to go. No one will stare at you, everyone will concetrate doing his workout and wont care about you. After a month or so it will become habbit and you wont care anymore about those "stupid" SA things. And if everything is occupied just go to 1 machine and ask him/her if he have much more to do etc and u will get machine soon.

Luna1740

When in doubt, just put in headphones, they work miracles! they won't look out of place at the gym, you can listen to music that you love/calms you down, no one will talk to you, and it'll take your mind of SA, go for it! just put in the buds and go to the gym, plus if you start working out on a constant basis it'll do wonders for your anxiety

Solo Dolo

i just moved into college a week ago and started hitting the gym here. i have been working out a long time though. luna has good suggestion of listening to iPod or something. everyone listens to music at the gym. also everyone started where u are now...no one was born already jacked or anything. waiting for something doesnt look stupid...nothing looks stupid at the gym. if anything, people give you props (in their mind) for being there to exercise in the first place rather than sitting on ur couch watching tv or something. it is also good to have a buddy to hit the gym with...i like having someone every time when i go, they can help not only to create a comfort zone but also to be a spotter, which is 100% common and normal at the gym. no worries bruddah....GOOD LUCK

chris11

Most of the time, people at the gym ignore everyone else who is there. Thus, you shouldn't have too much to worry about :)

Richey

i'm the same, the gym is just a very intimidating, terrifying idea to me personally, although i can play sports in front of big crowds i find the gym way too intimate and exposing to be showing off body parts etc, laughs ...so i have a dumbell set and i want to buy a bench press for my room and i have an exercise bike at home. i'll stick to home work outs for now

if you can find a small gym that may be more suited to start off with ...

but yeh maybe i'm just too sensitive or something, i don't know.

i don't like running in public either unless its on an oval which is closed off from roads and houses.

yet i don't mind playing soccer or basketball inffront of people, weird huh?

i've always thought working out to be a very private non-public thing that is different to playing a sport, but that's just my take on it.

Last edited:

Richey

i want to go to the gym at my college. but im afraid to walk in there. im afraid to exercise in front of other people. or i could walk in and everything could be occupied, and i would stand there waiting, looking stupid. people might stare at me becuz ive bever been there before. anybody else have this problem?

going to your uni gym would actually be the best way to start out. because the target demograph is ONLY for students and not just anybody walking in. it might be a great way too start the ball rolling.

xxaimsxx

I used to go to the gym. It was easy for me because you dont have to talk to anyone. everyone gets on with what they are doing and noone cares what you look like everyone just wants to work out :) i never had any problems there. Seriously you will be fine. All the guys used to be very polite to me which was nice.

IamThisOne

I went to the gym at my college a few times. However, I am not going to go back because I feel intimidated when I go in there. I'm surrounded by all these muscular and athletic people throwing weights around like it's nothing. I just wonder what people are thinking when they look around and there is this scrawny guy sweating his a$$ off and struggling with a 50lbs bar bell.

KiaKaha

Banned
Yeah, I like exercising, but I dont like gyms...some gyms are ok, but most of the ones I have been to there is a lot of silent pretentiousness. I cant be bothered with it. Everyone PRETENDS that they are not checking everyone else out, but really they are...

I just do all my work outs at home, I brought some dumbbells, resistant bands and a pull up bar. Along with push ups and calisthenic exercise, I can work out every part of my body.

Mr.Moon

I'd be to embarrassed to go to a gym.. I'm pretty skinny with not a lot of muscle so I'd feel so silly. I just exercise on my own, though I have no weight equipment.

doubleM

well im not small im tall and athletic, so i have no worry about that part. its just the paranoia. i never thought about the ipod thing. it might be worth a try.
i just dont want to walk in and there be a bunch of girls, or the whole football team be in there like yah! get out!
maybe i can talk someone into going with me.

rodinski

When in doubt, just put in headphones, they work miracles! they won't look out of place at the gym, you can listen to music that you love/calms you down, no one will talk to you, and it'll take your mind of SA, go for it! just put in the buds and go to the gym, plus if you start working out on a constant basis it'll do wonders for your anxiety

THIS.

music = win.

Plus think of it this way, you are going to get the ladies afterwards (or men, DON'T KNOW YER GENDAR). Once I lost a lot of weight, dude, chicks were tripping over me when I ran by them while jogging.

IamThisOne

i just dont want to walk in and there be a bunch of girls, or the whole football team be in there like yah! get out!
maybe i can talk someone into going with me.

That is exactly what I though when I went in there. The bad part about it is there was a bunch of girls in there and the only guys were huge football player types. They didn't say get out or anything, but I felt so small because most of them weren't much older than I am and they were all ripped.

IAMN

my opinion of gyms are pretty harsh. First the factor of weird people staring at me when I am tired and vulnerable... that's obvious. I'm also not a big fan of lifting free weights... all that useless muscle and most can't do 3 pullups or run 3 miles or beat up a little girl(no offense to little girls).

doubleM

my opinion of gyms are pretty harsh. First the factor of weird people staring at me when I am tired and vulnerable... that's obvious. I'm also not a big fan of lifting free weights... all that useless muscle and most can't do 3 pullups or run 3 miles or beat up a little girl(no offense to little girls).

haha. im not real big on free weights myself. i more prefer martial arts, kickboxing oriented type training. but it is nice to do some weight training and look good with your shirt off.

Why

do it!!!!!

Trust me when I started going to gyms i was intimidated too, i was unfamiliar with the equipment. Also I was working out in the free weight area (all buff guys no girls) and I was 5 6' 120 pounds MALE.............standing next to 6 4' 220 pound mosnters so you have nothing to worry about.
No1 there cares bout others presence really, none of the huge guys even pay attention to me and if they did, i dont give a shat.

i Suggest brging headphones and just blasting music, i never talk to ne1 at the gym (unless i know them from somewhere else)

trust me the benefits of exercise help alot

Devin

Keep in mind why you're going to the gym. You're going to improve yourself. Anyone that thinks badly of you for standing there isn't worth the salt in your tears. Go to that gym...be proud of yourself for doing something good for your body and keep your chin up. You're doing this for yourself and nobody else! You're worth it!

Feathers

Well, many girls don't like too buff guys anyway.. Maybe it's different over there, but here in Europe almost everyone I know dislikes the too 'bodybuilding hero' type of guys and prefers normal people...
A bit of muscle can be nice, just don't exaggerate..

You can also work out with water- or sand-filled plastic bottles at home, don't even need to buy equipment to start with...
And there are lots of exercises and tips online..