Going Places by Yourself

Does anyone here feel lame going places on his or her own? I want to book a holiday down to London for a few days. The only thing that stops me is the fact that I have no one to go with. True, it would be nice to have someone there to watch my back; I can get very confused when out in public. It would just seem sad going into a restaurant by yourself.

Ashiene

There are some nightclubs that don't allow people to enter alone. Society is very biased against loners or singles, it's a sad thing.

recluse

Yes i do. I can imagine people saying o'r thinking things like ''Look at him on his own, the weirdo!''

I wonder if we give vibes to people to keep clear of us when we are alone, You know i wonder if people think we are creepy o'r undesireable because of the way we are?

Tiercel

Lots of people go into restaurants by themselves. Food critics, undercover agents, businessmen, tourists, And single men. :)

You could always ask for a seat in a corner somewhere out of the way. Just add a cloak and a pipe, and you could be one of those Rangers! People thought Strider was strange, but he's the only one who bagged an elf chick. At least in his time.

And if you decide ahead of time who you're going to be, there could be a number of reasons why you show up alone. Maybe your date stood you up. Maybe you've been under a lot of stress at work and need some alone time. Or if you really, really feel the need, you could be the creepy guy sitting by himself who makes everyone uncomfortable just by his mere presence.

Come to think of it, you look a bit similar to one of my cousins. Last summer he went hiking and camping all alone along part of the Appalachian Trail. All alone except for many black bears and the occasional American! Sure, you might bump into an American in a London restaurant. But a black bear? I think not.

If you really want to go to London, then go for it. And after you return you can share some pics with us.

But if you see any black bears, run home! ;)

I only feel alright about going out on my own when I'm travelling somewhere routine, like to and from college, but I can't even go into a cafe alone to order something to eat! I detest walking around the part of London where I live, but there are loads of nice places (usually touristy places!) which are pretty easy to find. I always see dozens of people eating and travelling about on their own, so if you're worried about the restaurant thing, well you shouldn't be because nobody will take any notice of you or think it strange. I don't know if that's a good or bad thing to be honest- being in London can feel a bit lonely sometimes. You should go for it though because it would be a really good exposure experience

I have been to London a couple of times with my brother and grandmother. I know how to get on a train and travel there. I know my way around. London being the busy place that it is, I really felt at home there, I felt like a different person. I want to feel that again. My brother cannot stand the way I am, so we do not talk. Shame, I was really getting somewhere. The thought of someone with me gave me a confidence boost.

I'm actually the same. If I don't have a particular 'reason' to go anywhere (i.e it's optional) then I tend to chicken out. There's a retail park about a mile away and i've had to walk there on a few occasions just to get a card, but something as simple as going for a walk around the neighbourhood I find difficult with having no particular place to go. I become paranoid that people might be watching me walk back and forth and think i'm a burglar. :confused: As for ordering food.. god. Don't get me started.

I want to visit the local retail world just to have a look. The loneliness makes it the hardest. I know thousands of people go shopping by themselves every day. However, when you have shopped alone for most of your life, it can feel repetitive. I tend to walk fast, breathe hard, and try not to bump into the oncoming crowd. I just feel weird on my own. Like they should hate me, fear me. It all wraps together, so in the end I just stay home.

And if you decide ahead of time who you're going to be, there could be a number of reasons why you show up alone. Maybe your date stood you up. Maybe you've been under a lot of stress at work and need some alone time. Or if you really, really feel the need, you could be the creepy guy sitting by himself who makes everyone uncomfortable just by his mere presence.

Haha. Yeah, maybe it would help if you adopted some role - like imagine you're a spy traveling around, or a writer doing research. I mean, the main problem with doing this alone is that you imagine what other people are thinking, that you're some weird person to be on your own. But if you replace that with imagining them thinking, "hmm, who's that mysterious person all alone, he seems like an interesting person, maybe he's a writer" or something, it would help. Or just ignore them completely, and be in your own world, oblivious to them.

Although, I think what I would probably do is eat out at the less crowded hours, when you wouldn't have to deal with so many people, and/or order something to go and bring it back to my motel room to enjoy it in peace.

I hope you get to go, and have a good time - if you keep your eyes open, you might even see other people on vacations alone also. :)

Moonie

I guess it depends on what I want to do and where it is. I am comfortable with doing things alone - shopping, going to a bookstore, a school concert or poetry reading. I’d go to the movies alone (even though I never had.) I think the darkness will work in my advantage.

I wouldn’t want to eat alone - outside of a fast food joint that is. Like a place where you are being served by a waiter or waitress. I guess eating alone would just bother me the most in general. It brings me back into HS when I tried to find a place to eat in the cafeteria, with many failed attempts. I don’t ever need a reminder of that.

I’d go on vacation alone, if I had the means to do so. I once traveled to another state alone to meet up with my BF that was visiting family. But, now that I am single, I’d be afraid to set up stupid arrangements like getting a hotel or using transportation. But, once I was settled in, I wouldn’t mind doing various activities alone - in a place where no one knew me. It’s not like they will see me again.

DaaaBulls

I go every where alone, it used to bother me but it doesn't anymore. I guess I realized I am an individual and I don't need a "possy" to go places with. Girls don't want a follower or a member of a group, they want someone who stands out and is on his own. I hope...

But really you shouldn't worry about going places alone. When I am out I am not scoping out the scene at restaurants trying to find those who are alone, no one cares. It is all in our own minds. But I know how it can get, I wish I could be content with what ever I am doing.