Getting into the holiday spirit

1BlackSheep

After a lazy Saturday of couch-surfing and Chinese take-out, I managed to get myself out to meet a couple of old co-workers today for our annual holiday dinner. We had a nice meal and then went out to see some holiday lights, so I was feeling more in the spirit of things. But, that was just the beginning! On my way home I stopped at the grocery store, and as I was putting my bags in the car, I noticed a man sitting along the wall drawing. I love art, so went over to take a peek! The man told me he was an out-of-work former union construction worker who had also lost his wife to illness. He was hoping to sell some of his drawings to get by until he found work again. His art work was just spectacular - colorful pencil art on some sort of burlap fabric. Many people have shown interest in his work, so he's going to try to make prints to sell. He was such a friendly guy who just seemed to have fallen on hard times - wasn't looking for a handout. I asked if he needed anything, and he said that people have brought him bags of groceries and blankets, for which he was so grateful. All he wanted was some rubber bands and masking tape to hold down his canvases that he draws on (and a home-cooked meal)! So, I went back in the store, got the rubber bands and tape, and added a little cash just in case. Will be going back to get one of his prints for a Christmas present for my sister as well. Now I'm feeling the true spirit of the holiday!

Kiwong

Well. Two weeks spirited holiday is good anytime of the year. If it is in honour of a religious festival then bring it on. I get a half day holiday each year for the local horse race, I never got to the race but I enjoy the afternoon off. Same as Christmas I don't get involved in it, but I enjoy the time off work.

1BlackSheep

Well. Two weeks spirited holiday is good anytime of the year. If it is in honour of a religious festival then bring it on. I get a half day holiday each year for the local horse race, I never got to the race but I enjoy the afternoon off. Same as Christmas I don't get involved in it, but I enjoy the time off work.
Wow - two weeks off for the holidays and a half day to go to the horse races? You must not live in the US - lol!

razzle dazzle rose

Last year I was in a really bad situation during the holidays...so, this year, I am making the best out of it. Yeah, it is a materialistic holiday and I am not religious, but I am embracing it because the alternative makes me more sad than happy right now. I bought gifts for my loved ones, and I decorated the Christmas tree (took me four hours!! It was so worth it though 'cause my niece's eyes brighten up each time she sees it...ah, to be a child!) Sadly, there are not many opportunities to socialize for me. As anxious and awkward as I am, I would accept any invites to holiday parties and gatherings. I just want a reason to dress up!

1BlackSheep

Last year I was in a really bad situation during the holidays...so, this year, I am making the best out of it. Yeah, it is a materialistic holiday and I am not religious, but I am embracing it because the alternative makes me more sad than happy right now. I bought gifts for my loved ones, and I decorated the Christmas tree (took me four hours!! It was so worth it though 'cause my niece's eyes brighten up each time she sees it...ah, to be a child!) Sadly, there are not many opportunities to socialize for me. As anxious and awkward as I am, I would accept any invites to holiday parties and gatherings. I just want a reason to dress up!
Kudos to you for try to keep a positive attitude, even when it's tough to keep up appearances! Maybe you and your boyfriend can get all gussied up and go somewhere festive? Or join an "Ugly Christmas Sweater" gathering - lol! ::p:

Feathers

join an "Ugly Christmas Sweater" gathering - lol! ::p:
lol What are these? (Had to google them up - a website is actually selling the 'ugly Christmas sweaters' lol??
Is this like in Bridget Jones Diary?? (with moose or such??)

I *wish* we had parties or such here... Instead, I'm expected to clean the house, then set up the tree (which I usually stay away from), then we sing (carols - usually the best part of it, though some family members are out of tune or snore off) then some go to 'midnight mass' yikes... (or get flamed for not going...)
Dad expected me to go to confession today yikes, just because 'he had a dream' (which I interpreted totally differently!!)

to sum up: difficult to be with more religious family if you're not so super-religious!! (and gluten-intolerant yikes!! baking cookies previous years went across well, don't know any gluten-free recipes though!! don't really believe in 'gluten-free' wheat flour..)
I ate some gluten yesterday, 'just to be polite' (still feeling 'blah' though...) mental note: stay away from it, relatives will understand!! (but I was hungry, and that cookie looked... good!! yikes!! evil!!)

So blah holiday spirit!! Yikes!!

I'm not *against* Christmas, other people can have it if they want it, just don't force it upon me!!! (I have baby phobia, marriage phobia, death-phobia - wonder why I hate 'biggest Catholic holidays'?? yikes!! babies on all Christmas cards and everywhere!!)
It's tiring...

I want to do other things and don't want to think about Christmas at all... but keep getting reminded!! yikes!

I did like my cousin's house decorations, and got into the spirit a bit yesterday, though many out there are just tacky or non-eco etc.

Lovely thing you did for that man, BlackSheep!
(rubber bands and masking tape are not so eco-friendly if I remember it well, but ah well, you made someone's day a little bit brighter!! :))

Feathers

Question: if you 'hate' christmas, how do you get yourself into 'holiday spirit'? :)

(My sis was abroad one year and said she really missed Christmas then, cuase they didn't celebrate it proper... Aside for that, any tips?)

(I'll try to google up some gluten-free cookies, yikes!! :))

1BlackSheep

lol What are these? (Had to google them up - a website is actually selling the 'ugly Christmas sweaters' lol??
Lol - hard to believe these:
santa-vintage-christmas-sweaters-image8.jpg
red80sglasses-1-1.jpg

were the height of fashion circa 1980s. Now they're worn for lols! Wish I'd kept my stash of 'em!

lInstead, I'm expected to clean the house, then set up the tree (which I usually stay away from), then we sing (carols - usually the best part of it, though some family members are out of tune or snore off) then some go to 'midnight mass' yikes... (or get flamed for not going...)
Dad expected me to go to confession today yikes, just because 'he had a dream' (which I interpreted totally differently!!)

to sum up: difficult to be with more religious family if you're not so super-religious!!

Yes, that does sound worthy of a "blah"!

(and gluten-intolerant yikes!! baking cookies previous years went across well, don't know any gluten-free recipes though!!
Gluten-free is really popular here where I live. Guess people are conscious about the side effects! ::p:

Silatuyok

I *wish* we had parties or such here... Instead, I'm expected to clean the house, then set up the tree (which I usually stay away from), then we sing (carols - usually the best part of it, though some family members are out of tune or snore off) then some go to 'midnight mass' yikes... (or get flamed for not going...)

to sum up: difficult to be with more religious family if you're not so super-religious!! (and gluten-intolerant yikes!! baking cookies previous years went across well, don't know any gluten-free recipes though!! don't really believe in 'gluten-free' wheat flour..)
I ate some gluten yesterday, 'just to be polite' (still feeling 'blah' though...) mental note: stay away from it, relatives will understand!! (but I was hungry, and that cookie looked... good!! yikes!! evil!!)

I'm not *against* Christmas, other people can have it if they want it, just don't force it upon me!!! (I have baby phobia, marriage phobia, death-phobia - wonder why I hate 'biggest Catholic holidays'?? yikes!! babies on all Christmas cards and everywhere!!)
It's tiring...

I want to do other things and don't want to think about Christmas at all... but keep getting reminded!! yikes!

I did like my cousin's house decorations, and got into the spirit a bit yesterday, though many out there are just tacky or non-eco etc.

Lovely thing you did for that man, BlackSheep!
(rubber bands and masking tape are not so eco-friendly if I remember it well, but ah well, you made someone's day a little bit brighter!! :))

lol. This made me laugh.

I don't really feel obligated at all, especially this year. I'll be on vacation during Christmas, anyway, so there really isn't going to be any get-togethers for me.

Ahh I envy you :D I wanna go on vacation as well!!!! ::p:

Today they asked me, hey are you gonna skiiing? because I wear a snowboard jacket, I said ''I WISH'' :mad:

Graeme1988

Hie yer hence from me heath!
I don't think I'm going to bother about Christmas next year. Once you realized it all overrated, media hyped, conformist, consumerist, capitalist bulls*%t nowadays (Personal opinion, no offense meant). You started to question why you bother making an so much of an effort just for one day each year, or I do, anyway. And on top of everything else, it's stressful.

Spending money you don't have on stuff you don't really need. Or want for that matter.

1BlackSheep

For all of those not into Christmas!

Meh.jpg

And those who want to be in the spirit, but just don't have the energy!

DittoChristmasLights.jpg

Feathers

LOL! :)

Marie, glad I entertain at least someone-?? /Gah!!/

I did get into holiday spirit, a bit - after a dinner party with the literary club, and visiting one of the sweet old ladies... (I miss my Granny tho!!)

...And then Dad nagged me again about cleaning etc, yikes!! I don't remember anything about cleaning in the Christmas guide??
My dad could write a guide to 'How to drive away your kids to really hate Christmas'??

Gah!!!

Last edited:

Feathers

Okay, I now saw that the following things help me get into 'Christmas spirit':
- holiday cards (I mostly don't write'em, just seeing others write'em)
- googling for Christmas-related (slightly uncoventional) pics or videos
- not too syrupy films/shows with related topics
- unconventional Christmas news (like the silly sweater parties and craziness lol!!)
- good food yikes :)
- being with other people than just my family lol (even if relatives visit etc)
volunteer visits included (I need to be cheerful for that first though)
- minimizing nagging potential
I totally need to plan for next Xmas to be better!! :)

Having a very minimal xmas/new-years this year
- spent xmas day watching tv (xmas programs)
- zero presents
- zero cards (as usual)
- 2 family gatherings (as usual)
- might watch a bit of tv on new years eve
--> 3/so days, & THAT'S IT, ALL OVER, DONE (very short'n'sweet i guess) ... then back to the usual ho-hum drudgery