"get a life"

Gone

Yeah its an annoying statement.

"Get a life!"

What if i don't want a life?
What if i made the effort but life didn't want me?
Gee.

ljwwriter

My Mom told me this once. I thought to myself that I have a life but it's just not much worth living.

coriander1992

I too hate it...it's funny because most of the people who say it have pathetic lives themselves, they just think they're better than others. :roll:

scorpion

Well yesterday one of my friends did told me that I was "such a waste".
I sould get a life.

I know she meant well, she is a really good friend and only cares about me plus she doesnt know i have APD, but it brouth all the gosths out of the closet.

I felt like shit. Like I was a nobody. Like I was garbage.

So thats line really is bad.

In my experience I have found that people who tell other people to get a life rarely care or attempt to actually help the person they are telling this too.

'Get a life' was my favorite insult to people when I was 8 years old. I don't use it anymore because I don't have much of a life myself, and if I want to insult someone, I don't want to give them positive advice.

ThatOneShyKid

I do hate the statement. But I kind of agree with it when it applies to me. I want to have a "life" so badly, but I'm too afraid to even make a start. I always think if I hanged out with someone, I would just act like usual and not have fun. Like it's not even worth it.. :(

OceanMist

I just see it as a rude way to tell someone they need a social life. At times it's used to help people, at other times it's used to make the person saying it feel better because they are insecure with their own problems.

It's too bad so many people don't like to choose their words more carefully, there are nicer ways of breaking to someone who lacks a social life that they need a social life.

It's situational too. Some people are okay with a tiny circle of friends, or even just one friend. To tell people like that to get a life is being ignorant toward the person they are telling it to because they don't understand that not everybody needs a lot of friends to be happy.

I guess it's just a short phrase that can be complicated.

Iluv

Yes. It's childish and usually the person saying it is in fact the one it applies to.

twiggle

I only hate it because it reminds me of a really annoying song by Des'Ree called 'Get A Life' which was a B-Side to 'Life' and had equally bad lyrics.

"Dum de dum de dum. Dum de dum de dah. Dum de dum de dum youuu can get a lifeeee" :mad:

Some ppl told me this in the past. I hate it when they say get a life, cuz I really don't have a life. It makes me feel more ****ed up, but it's not that I hate them for what they say, cuz they're right.

water4

Yes its annoying, dont care about that. Because everyone has there one perception of the meaning of "life". Everyone have different thoughts about whats valuable in life. Create your own beliefs about what you think is important in life and after a time you will stop care about that statement.