Gamers thread

Phoenixx

New Pokemon Presents today. Good to see more gameplay and details on the two new upcoming games! I'm going to love jumping back into Gen 4 on the switch. I know people still gripe about the chibi style. I particularly like it and think it's adorable. I still think they resemble Fisher Price Little People, hehe.

I'm especially excited about Legends Arceus though. Man, it's really looking like a true RPG! I'm all for those evil Pokemon boss-like battles though! Or whatever it is. Possessed Pokemans? No idea, but it looks cool and I hope they're challenging. (Possessed Ursaring is freaking terrifying too and I love it!) I do wonder if they're going to kind of be similar to how there were certain rare occurrences of specific Pokemon in the Wild Area in Gigantamax Dens in Sw/Sh. Not that they'll be gigantamaxing, but I wonder if they're going to be overpowered Pokemon with special abilities that need to be caught for your research as part of the story that's also somehow linked to whatever role Arceus is playing. :unsure:

Definitely digging all the fast travel options and the different variations of Pokemon too. Gimme all the fluffy Growlithes! :love:

So far my only critiques from what I saw of this gameplay are really just the textures. I hope they polish up them up just a little bit more. Everything still looks a bit blurry to me. I know that part of it is the style, similar to BOTW art style, which I really don't mind. But there's just some things, like some of the grass/flower overlay or the textures underneath any of the people or Pokemon that just looks a bit flat and thrown together still. Also one dumb extremely minor thing that was bugging me is seeing some Pokemon on the snow, or seeing your character running through the snow, and there were no footprints or anything. No textures underneath. So it's like the figure is just floating on top.

Phoenixx

I started playing through the Monster Hunter Stories 2 demo yesterday. So far I'm having a lot of fun with it, but I also have a lot of gripes with it too. I love the battle animations and the whole battle system and UI. The rock-paper-scissors format is simple, yet with so many decision options -- using kinship points for special attacks between you and your monstie, switch out weapons for different effects, take a turn to set up or heal, etc. etc. -- it really makes you think what your next step should be like a good strategy game should. The animations are really great, and the different combat styles that occur is also just fantastic. Duels, Head-to-Head, Double Attacks, and Kinship Attacks, there's just so much going on with each battle and I love it. Of course I also love the open world exploration, the colors are great and the variety of monsters and all their little details are also good.

Now for the griping: 1) The story is so far lackluster for me. I just started and I'm already really not captured by it. So your grandfather died and Guardian Ratha left(?) and now there's weird stuff going on with the monsters and they're attacking out of the blue so you, now as a new rider, have to seek out what's going on while battling and collecting eggs along the way. Gee, I can't imagine it couldn't possibly be the fact that we are literally killing members of their species and stealing their eggs to raise as our own right? :unsure:😅 I don't know if the story gets better with the full version of the game, but I hope it does. 2) Navirou... Oh, Navirou. What is it with Nintendo-exclusive games having characters whose names start with N-a-v-i that are so annoying? I normally like the cat puns associated with the Felynes in the Monster Hunter Universe, but this little dude takes it way too far and won't even shut up. Again, I'm only playing the demo, but I can imagine he probably gets even more annoying as the game goes on. 3) The framerate. Oh boy does that framerate tank! With all the animations and movement that goes on with a game like this, I would think the game would perform a little bit better. But it is laggy in some areas and with some battles and it definitely shows. Apparently there is a recent patch for the full version that fixes this. I hope it does a pretty good job because the lag is what also screws up some of the button unresponsiveness I think. For example, often times when I'm just cruising along on my monstie and go to collect things as I pass, I will press A. Sometimes it takes, but oftentimes it doesn't and then I have to backtrack and literally stop in front of the item in order to pick it up. I'm not going to want to do this when I'm trying to cruise through an area as fast as possible to avoid battles because I don't feel like fighting, just wanting to explore. 4) Raising monsties could be a bit better. You spend all this time collecting eggs and discovering new species of monsters and raising all sorts of ones to figure out how they work and what works best for you, especially with their primary and secondary abilities and such. However, when you hatch an egg, a cute little baby version of that monster pops out, but then after that hatching animation it's automatically big at lvl 1 and you can ride it as a full grown adult? What? It makes no sense to me, although convenient in a way I suppose. I just wish you could work for it a little bit more. Like, if you raised a monstie with a specific ability you needed to access a certain area in a den or another part of the world, why not make players have to raise them to a certain level to gain access to that ability? Yep, kinda like Pokemon. Even have them stay baby monsties for a little while that were raised at the stables, then get a notification saying "[This monster] has grown a lot! It's ready to add to your party!" Or something like that.

Given all that, this is still a fun game, don't get me wrong. I'm enjoying it a lot. But it's not a game I'm going to find myself coming back to to replay the story all over again. I will probably end up buying the full version of this sometime, just not when it's still $50 - $60 because it definitely isn't worth that much to me.

Phoenixx

Also started playing Ni No Kuni today that I bought a while back. I thought I was going to really enjoy this game, being Studio Ghibli and such but so far 2ish hours in and I'm really not liking it. ☹️ I'm finding it to be such an unbalanced mess. The characters are slower than the enemies in most cases, bringing a challenge. Which is fine. But it's not a turn-based rpg like I'm used to, so when multiple enemies are attacking you literally left and right, you can only attack one at a time, while by yourself -- either you as Ollie fighting or as a familiar. Why does it have to be only Ollie or a familiar fighting? Why not have both in the field?? The difficulty spike on normal is absolutely insane for just starting out. Losing all my money right off the bat because I died in a fight? Get out of here with that. Having to grind right off the bat too in order to defeat bosses? If that's the case, why make main objectives the very first thing you HAVE to do? Why not make side quests along the way to give you the opportunity to gain exp and collect some items. Sure there's plenty of monsters galore in the open world, but many of those enemies are only dropping 3 exp or so and the occasional treat to feed to your familiar to make him stronger only by so little. That is extremely tedious to be grinding that much that early in the game with little to no other ways to gain items or weapons or even strategize.

The hand holding tutorials were also putting me to sleep being so dragged out. I actually think I did fall asleep at one point. 😑

Shame all this is making this game nearly unplayable for me. I really enjoyed the little animated movie cutscenes and story thus far. Also sucks I bought this as a digital copy off the eShop so I'm stuck with it. 👎

F0AM

Also started playing Ni No Kuni today that I bought a while back. I thought I was going to really enjoy this game, being Studio Ghibli and such but so far 2ish hours in and I'm really not liking it. ☹️ I'm finding it to be such an unbalanced mess. The characters are slower than the enemies in most cases, bringing a challenge. Which is fine. But it's not a turn-based rpg like I'm used to, so when multiple enemies are attacking you literally left and right, you can only attack one at a time, while by yourself -- either you as Ollie fighting or as a familiar. Why does it have to be only Ollie or a familiar fighting? Why not have both in the field?? The difficulty spike on normal is absolutely insane for just starting out. Losing all my money right off the bat because I died in a fight? Get out of here with that. Having to grind right off the bat too in order to defeat bosses? If that's the case, why make main objectives the very first thing you HAVE to do? Why not make side quests along the way to give you the opportunity to gain exp and collect some items. Sure there's plenty of monsters galore in the open world, but many of those enemies are only dropping 3 exp or so and the occasional treat to feed to your familiar to make him stronger only by so little. That is extremely tedious to be grinding that much that early in the game with little to no other ways to gain items or weapons or even strategize.

The hand holding tutorials were also putting me to sleep being so dragged out. I actually think I did fall asleep at one point. 😑

Shame all this is making this game nearly unplayable for me. I really enjoyed the little animated movie cutscenes and story thus far. Also sucks I bought this as a digital copy off the eShop so I'm stuck with it. 👎
This is sad, because the game is beautiful. It's a shame when a games is like "story/art vs gameplay", that happened to me during The Witcher 1, i hated the combat and even uninstalled it, but i was so curious about the story that i gave it a second chance and once i got used to it, i got it finished, no regrets :p

Btw i remember a friend gifted me Ni no kuni after my mother passed away and when i saw the story i was like: REALLY? there couldnt be any other reason for Ollie to traverse to the other world, right? :S

Phoenixx

This is sad, because the game is beautiful. It's a shame when a games is like "story/art vs gameplay", that happened to me during The Witcher 1, i hated the combat and even uninstalled it, but i was so curious about the story that i gave it a second chance and once i got used to it, i got it finished, no regrets :p

Btw i remember a friend gifted me Ni no kuni after my mother passed away and when i saw the story i was like: REALLY? there couldnt be any other reason for Ollie to traverse to the other world, right? :S
Agreed, I absolutely love the artwork of the game, so I had high hopes for this! Maybe I'll pick it back up another time and try to play through easy mode. Most of the time easy modes are way too easy which is why I always go with normal difficulties. But maybe in this case their "easy" is more "normal" and their "normal" is actually "difficult". Can't imagine what a "hard" or "proud" mode would be. 😳

Oh my gosh, your friend probably had no idea about that plot point. 😦 That's so sad. ☹️

F0AM

Agreed, I absolutely love the artwork of the game, so I had high hopes for this! Maybe I'll pick it back up another time and try to play through easy mode. Most of the time easy modes are way too easy which is why I always go with normal difficulties. But maybe in this case their "easy" is more "normal" and their "normal" is actually "difficult". Can't imagine what a "hard" or "proud" mode would be. 😳

Oh my gosh, your friend probably had no idea about that plot point. 😦 That's so sad. ☹️
Nooo ahah my friend was not to blame, in fact (as i expected) the game has a very good message in the end for those who have lost a beloved one 😊

Great game, you can always watch a scenes only video on youtube if gameplay becomes really unplayable. Some youtubers do a great job with that.

LoyalXenite

240856874_4362196313826593_5724365430470308878_n.jpg

F0AM

I'm a disgrace for the killers, in Dead by daylight we killers are supposed to well...kill the survivors. Sometimes when i down a survivor or i see that i's quite newbie, instead of hooking, i take that player to the exit so she/he can escape smh.

halloween-dance.gif
Just vibing after helping a survivor i've been toying with (a little suffering is good :p)

BUT if the survivor is a troll and a jerk...

funny-halloween.gif

Phoenixx

I started the Donkey Kong DLC for Mario + Rabbids yesterday. I'm really enjoying it so far. New characters, new team members, new enemies, new weapons, whole new world that gives off major DK Country vibes. I think I'm about halfway through it? Hard to tell as I feel the story has been a little disconnected, as there is less dialogue to go by and mostly funny rabbid cutscenes as you progress. Playing with DK is a major help with his abilities and hefty HP, although the levels are starting to get a little trickier now.

I originally wanted to pickup where I left off with Pikmin 3, but the day I'm on is a lot more of a time crunch than previous days and my brain wasn't feeling it. I'll get back into it once my brain isn't quite so mushy like it has been this month.

Added note, I actually managed to find Dragon Quest Builders 2 on sale through a retailer on Walmart's website for 50% off. I have never seen the Switch version of this game for less than $50 or $60, even though it's been out for quite a few years now. So of course I jumped on that and bought it. :love: I plan on getting into it as soon as I can once I'm done with the Donkey Kong DLC.