FAMILY!?..with?, or against you??...

Feathers

Yeah, I hate such comments too.. It can be really frustrating!!

Dad would eg get home and said how people at his work told comments about students/people milking the state... (Mind you, not just people on the dole, also students 'milk the state'!! )*
/Not to mention politicians, parliament etc - don't they all 'milk the state'?? I'd sometimes go into a rant how they 'milk the state' much more than any regular person not working can!!)
(Also, Adolf Hitler 'had a job', and what good did he do?? Some jobs are much more destructive than any regular person non-working.. Of course, there can be a problem if too many people are not working, then the pension system etc can collapse.. What the big capitalism companies have done by moving production off-shore etc of course has nothing to do with systems collapsing, eh??)

*That's also one of the reasons why I don't want to be 'on the dole' anymore, unfortunately some of my savings are getting smaller.. (Though some people keep telling me to sign up cause then it's easier to get a job in some places, the state contributes for people 1+ yr officially not working..)

Have you checked what options exist locally for people with mental health problems? (I posted some links to Scottish a while ago, have you seen them?) If you at least show a bit of an effort (like explore options, write CVs/send job applications/go interview), maybe sis and step-dad would leave you alone?

Last edited:

arsenalwa

My family is "supportive," but completely oblivious. I really haven't told them anything (the irony...) and they seem to think everything is okay and have accepted me almost. Like my dad as jokes to people about how I never talk to people and that I'm anti-social "like the rest of the family" (Not the case). And a week ago my mom told me "you're not outgoing person and that's okay."

We all know our situations but I think we forget the point of view of our families, especially our parents/guardians. The idea that there is anything wrong with their child is something very difficult to swallow. Although it seems they don't understand ( which on a level they don't) they are also in denial. "There's nothing wrong with my son/daughter, he/she is perfect! He/she is just shy, and shouldn't have any trouble getting a job, having friends, leaving the house, ect." Complete denial.
Good point.

My family is "supportive," but completely oblivious. I really haven't told them anything (the irony...) and they seem to think everything is okay and have accepted me almost. Like my dad as jokes to people about how I never talk to people and that I'm anti-social "like the rest of the family" (Not the case). And a week ago my mom told me "you're not outgoing person and that's okay."

We all know our situations but I think we forget the point of view of our families, especially our parents/guardians. The idea that there is anything wrong with their child is something very difficult to swallow. Although it seems they don't understand ( which on a level they don't) they are also in denial. "There's nothing wrong with my son/daughter, he/she is perfect! He/she is just shy, and shouldn't have any trouble getting a job, having friends, leaving the house, ect." Complete denial.

completely agree :). rep points for that, boy! ;) (Ah I need to 'spread some around' o_O - oh well, still good post :))

Last edited:

Pacific_Loner

Pirate from the North Pole
My parents never really understood, they probably always thought I was having an endless teen crisis, but I left their house pretty early and I'm not asking anything from them so there's nothing they can complain about really. And we are in way better terms since then.

punklove

Well for me it's kinda complicated....
Most of my moms side doesn't even know that I have SAD and the ones that DO know are fairly supportive... sometimes my mom can be a b*tch about it.
Most of my dads side does know and there really mean about it, they think I'm lazy and using SAD as an excuse to not go to schoo. My dads side of my family are kinda judgemental. At least my dad is actually trying to understand.