Extreme difficulty talking to men, what do Guys like hearing women talk about?

CrazyGirl

As most of you know, I'm extremely shy, have little interests and hobbies and prefer staying home than going out.
I'd love to have a good friendship with a man, if not a relationship. What it is that guys like hearing women talk about?
Besides my dad and bro whom I'm not close to, I only have 1 guy who I consider a very good friend. Usually, I tell him jokes or funny videos I find on the Internet and about my day. Do men like hearing what goes on in a woman's day?

DeadmanWalking

The first thing to remember about talking to a guy is to stop thinking of him as a guy. It takes the stress off:). Just see him as a person because, really, that's all he is. You see him as a guy when you want a romantic relationship with him;).

As for subjects, you could ask about his day or talk about yours. Talk about hobbies or dreams. Just be yourself and you'll attract the greatest friends you've ever had:).

Srijita52

The first thing to remember about talking to a guy is to stop thinking of him as a guy. It takes the stress off:). Just see him as a person because, really, that's all he is. You see him as a guy when you want a romantic relationship with him;).

As for subjects, you could ask about his day or talk about yours. Talk about hobbies or dreams. Just be yourself and you'll attract the greatest friends you've ever had:).

I agree with it, guys are people too. I'm not the greatest person to say anything about it but I think with the few guy friends I have, I just talk to them as talk to any other person. And same goes for guys talking to girls too.

bcsr

Just seriously talk about whatever. Talk about your day, his day, video games, internet, music, movies, tv, art, books, etc... :)

Kiwong

Talk about him, or more important listen. I think both men and women like that. When someone is genuinely interested and listens. Listening is probably as important as what you have to say.

Srijita52

Exactly. It goes for both sexes.

Just chat to him about what he likes, and ask follow-up questions. He will enjoy that.
I hope he does but I've found sometimes when I ask people about what they like and try to listen they feel like that they're the ones who's doing most of the talking while I'm not contributing enough to the conversations.

Kiwong

I hope he does but I've found sometimes when I ask people about what they like and try to listen they feel like that they're the ones who's doing most of the talking while I'm not contributing enough to the conversations.

I would've thought that if you have them talking away you are doing great. It's the ones that only give a one word response to my questions that I find hard to deal with.

I guess it takes practise to join in the conversation with your own agrreement, disagreement, observations, anectdotes on a subject.

Ive always wanted to have a (girl)friend, just fir friends to tell things.. I think the best things I like to hear a woman say is things she wouldn't just say to anyone, personal things, ice breakers are great, I am very uncomfortable when I have to always feel like im saying something out of the way to a girl, guys I think we are just as nervous.. honesty to me is priceless, I would have a friend for life if a girl would just be herself without any little games or running back to her friends and telling everything I told her in confidence. Walk up to a guy like you've known him all ur life and just start talking like you really wanna talk and unless hes just a complete pervert, you'll find a friend. I find it easy to talk to girls that's always laughing and happy, ill sit near them and just non creepily ease into a conversation, a few girls at work have began saving me a seat just because I showed interest and told them that their laughing attracted me like a magnet because I hadn't done it in te years. Lol. Be urself and put a big smile across ur face and you'll have to make appointments for all the new friends

Srijita52

I would've thought that if you have them talking away you are doing great. It's the ones that only give a one word response to my questions that I find hard to deal with.

I guess it takes practise to join in the conversation with your own agrreement, disagreement, observations, anectdotes on a subject.
I agree.
Oh, I dislike this, too. I feel like I'm boring and uninteresting when this happens.
I know how it feels, although I'm probably guilty of doing it too at times but not because the other person is boring or uninteresting but simply cos I don't know what to say, or can't come up with right words.

MikeyC

I know how it feels, although I'm probably guilty of doing it too at times but not because the other person is boring or uninteresting but simply cos I don't know what to say, or can't come up with right words.
I need to try and remember this. Sometimes it's not me but it can be my insecurities getting in the way.

KiaKaha

Banned
Look I cant speak for every other guy - but yes taking an interest in them is of course always going to help.
I think what is important is to respond to his reactions appropriately, if you do something he likes - explore it and do more of it. Watch his body language and listen to the way he speaks and listen to the tone of voice. Figure out what he likes - and adapt to his personality.

If he likes you - you will know. Trust me, and he will care more about what YOU think of him instead. He will be just as nervous too if this is the case. He will want to make a good impression. He will probably be quite nice to you and make sure that you are feeling comfortable. He will be considerate.

Try not to judge him if he falters or gets a bit nervous, or for what he has (or doesnt have) - try to see what kind of person he is on the inside. Hopefully he will do the same for you and give you the same courtesy.

Dont put up with crap either. Trust your gut but try to remain objective about it also.

At least....thats what it would be like if it was me....

Last edited:

dyingtolive

those one word responses... i hate them too.... but there were a couple of times when i think i did them... but because the other person was so far out there with what they were saying... and i could totally either not understand or not relate... (actually men was the last i remembered) and im male also

i think though if ur trying too hard, it becomes unnatural and could lead to weirdness...

i guess lookin back at my experiences, i should be more prepared for it (not enough chemistry) and accept it and move on smoothly

WeirdyMcGee

I think an easier question to answer would be: "What do guys NOT want to hear about?" since generally, guys are human beings who will listen and talk about most topics.

So... what to not talk about?
- boys
- hair/makeup products
- fashion
- all of the details of your dream wedding
- female health issues
- the Kardashians

haha

psych

My best friend tells me he loves that his female friends feel comfortable telling him anything... I believe him, because he still picks up that phone damn near every time I call.
We talk about everything, I also listen, he talks about sports on tv... I'll admit, I have to make myself tune back in at times.. & I've caught him doing the same... But, we're very at ease with each other.
I'm known to have all the subtlety of a sledgehammer, so I'm told... I'm extremely blunt & honest.
My male friends tell me they really enjoy that part of my character... Which is ironic to me, because it seems to scare the living sh*t out of everyone else.
I don't know what I'd do without the guys.
I'm rambling now...

Anyways, I wish you lots of luck in your conversational endeavors. :cool: