Exercise Log

Thelema

Back near the end of February I decided it's been way too long since I did any regular exercise, so I started with something I figured I could handle: doing 10 push ups and 10 curls three times a week. And at the time that was about all I could handle. Nor did I want to start with a rigorous exercise program because of my habit of diving head first into things only to watch my interest wander and eventually cease.

These few weeks later I'm still on the M/W/F schedule with a few changes:

-I now aim for at least 50 pushups in 3 sets. Some days I do them as fast as I can, some days I do them slowly as painfully, just to keep things varied.
-Same 20 lb. dumbbells as before, but now I curl them for 3 sets of 15 reps. And the knowledge that brushing my teeth or washing my head in the shower afterwards will be a bitch only makes the pain that much sweeter.
-Arm raises (don't know the proper term) with a 15 lb. dumbbell for 3 sets of 6 reps. Fairly new addition, but also makes raising arms afterwards rather difficult.
-Wrist curls: 3x20 @ 20 lbs. I really need heavier weights.
-Horse stance for just over 1 minute. I've recently become interested in kung fu, so I've set a goal for myself. Before I think about taking any lessons I need to be able to hold a semi-decent horse stance for 5 minutes. For those who don't know, that's basically squatting down with your thighs parallel to the ground for 5 minutes, and it's not quite as easy as it sounds.

Of course I do various stretches to warm up and cool down, but I really need to expand this routine. Especially now that we're finally done redoing the living room. And although I haven't technically lost any weight, I have recently begun taking a tiny bit less of everything than I used to. So we'll see what happens....

You should get one of those pull up bars that install in doorways. Every time you go in to the kitchen, for instance, do 5 pull ups. You'll be like a monkey in no time

Last edited:

princess_haru

You should get one of those pull up bars that install in doorways. Every time you go in to the kitchen, for instance, do 5 pull ups. You'll be like a monkey in no time

Hahaha I just dangle uselessly off of those when I try to do a pull-up! I'm so puny ::eek::

Thelema

You gotta work your way up. If you can't do a pull up, get a chair to help you up and then slowly lower yourself on your own. Do that few times every time you go in the kitchen and in a couple weeks, you'll be doing pull ups without assistance.

Don't work hard enough to really strain yourself. The volume of work is more important than the intensity of it

Tiercel

Yes.... You sure are tempting me....

Or could it be all that attitude and black leather in that Judas Priest pic in your signature?

princess_haru

So do I, but only because I'm not puny enough!

Hehe, so you're saying your enormous muscles get in the way of doing pull-ups? *is confused*

You gotta work your way up. If you can't do a pull up, get a chair to help you up and then slowly lower yourself on your own. Do that few times every time you go in the kitchen and in a couple weeks, you'll be doing pull ups without assistance.

Don't work hard enough to really strain yourself. The volume of work is more important than the intensity of it

Well I don't have a pull-up bar at home so I can't really practise, unless I go down to the park and play on the monkeybars, lol! ;) I've got some small dumbells and I use those a bit.

Tiercel

Hehe, so you're saying your enormous muscles get in the way of doing pull-ups? *is confused*

Yes. My grotesquely massive 15 1/4" guns keep me from successfully pulling my 240 lb. body opposite to the force exerted by Earth's gravitational field.

And since I only struggled through Physics I in my senior year of high school, I'll put it into much simpler, less sarcastic terms: too weak, too fat, so not yet.

And Thelema, those "grease the groove" googlings were quite informative. Although with a phrase like that, I'm thinking more like Spinal Tap than Judas Priest....::eek::

mrb

after work witch is house removels lifting furniture all day , i work out on my multi gym , i break it up into 2 days , first day in the morning shoulders chest , next day back arms , lots of multigym work , some free weights , dont run or train legs , get enough of that leg work going up and downstairs all day with furniture , always found it a good way of getting rid of stress , but now im like 45 so slowing down , i love doing it but feel tired afterwards , thats age for you lol buy hey im still doing it for now

Thelema

after work witch is house removels lifting furniture all day , i work out on my multi gym , i break it up into 2 days , first day in the morning shoulders chest , next day back arms , lots of multigym work , some free weights , dont run or train legs , get enough of that leg work going up and downstairs all day with furniture , always found it a good way of getting rid of stress , but now im like 45 so slowing down , i love doing it but feel tired afterwards , thats age for you lol buy hey im still doing it for now

Ba! Legs are when the hard work begins. Anyone can huff and puff doing some curls, it's the badass doing the squats that gets the chicks!;)

Thelema

Yes. My grotesquely massive 15 1/4" guns keep me from successfully pulling my 240 lb. body opposite to the force exerted by Earth's gravitational field.

And since I only struggled through Physics I in my senior year of high school, I'll put it into much simpler, less sarcastic terms: too weak, too fat, so not yet.

And Thelema, those "grease the groove" googlings were quite informative. Although with a phrase like that, I'm thinking more like Spinal Tap than Judas Priest....::eek::

I started out like 150 pounds and couldn't do a single pull up. I started doing what I'm telling you to do and I got up to like 14 in a row over the summer.

princess_haru

Ah ok, I misunderstood, sorry ::p: Your avatar kinda looks like Pete Steel from Type O Negative, so I just pictured you as an uber-muscly type, lol! Sounds like we're both trying to put on some muscle and tone up so it comes down to the same thing in a way ;)

Tiercel

Your avatar kinda looks like Pete Steel from Type O Negative
Well you just went up in my book, because that's exactly who it is. And you're the first one to mention it, so congratulations. I had a ToN song in my head when I signed up here, and I kinda like that half-crazy look in this pic. Kind of a "don't you dare touch my roses" look.

Unfortunately I'm nowhere near the chick magnet that he is (or at least used to be). And I have the complete opposite blood type. But I often sing along to his songs. So I can understand how you might have been confused, and I'm sorry to disappoint you by being more of a cheesecake than a beefcake.

Sounds like we're both trying to put on some muscle and tone up so it comes down to the same thing in a way
Right here would be a great place for a cheesy "let's do it together sometime" line. But there's that Atlantic Ocean thing. And you're really not my type, so I'll keep my best one-liners to myself.

Thelema said:
I started out like 150 pounds and couldn't do a single pull up. I started doing what I'm telling you to do and I got up to like 14 in a row over the summer.
Congrats on the improvement. I think I'm gonna check out some of those doorway pull-up bars. But every doorway in this house is rather funky, so I can't make any promises. Not only that, but every time I raise or lower anything I run into trouble: I feel something pulling me down. It's forcing me between myself and the ground.

princess_haru

Well you just went up in my book, because that's exactly who it is. And you're the first one to mention it, so congratulations.
Do I win a prize? ;) Yeah I like Type O a lot, and not because of muscly Pete lol (wonderful voice but waaay too muscly and scary for me, haha!)

Right here would be a great place for a cheesy "let's do it together sometime" line. But there's that Atlantic Ocean thing. And you're really not my type, so I'll keep my best one-liners to myself.
Hey, nowt wrong with us puny girls, we can't all be curvy goddesses ;) But flirting is definitely not a requirement here at SPW so you're very welcome to chat without the use of one-liners ::p:

Tiercel

Do I win a prize?
Sure. You can have one of the two Jagermeister tour posters I pulled off the wall at their show last year. But for anxiety and safety reasons I will neither seek nor release an address. So you'll just have to find me and take it yourself. ::p:

Hey, nowt wrong with us puny girls, we can't all be curvy goddesses ;) But flirting is definitely not a requirement here at SPW so you're very welcome to chat without the use of one-liners
Actually you weren't my type the moment you replied to one of my posts. I'm usually drawn to the ones who completely ignore me. But I guess puny girls would be right behind that.;)

I think it would be fun if flirting was a requirement here. It might actually help some of us with our anxieties.

But to get back on topic, yes I did exercise today. ::eek::

princess_haru

Sure. You can have one of the two Jagermeister tour posters I pulled off the wall at their show last year. But for anxiety and safety reasons I will neither seek nor release an address. So you'll just have to find me and take it yourself. ::p:

Actually you weren't my type the moment you replied to one of my posts. I'm usually drawn to the ones who completely ignore me. But I guess puny girls would be right behind that.;)

I think it would be fun if flirting was a requirement here. It might actually help some of us with our anxieties.

But to get back on topic, yes I did exercise today. ::eek::

Yum, Jagermeister and TON? Sounds like a good night! Haha no I'm not into ignoring people (unless they've given me a good reason to do so!) as I hate being ignored myself ::p:

...and back on topic, nope I haven't exercised yet today - really need to get my stepper out and some music on!

2Crowded

Been riding my outdoor bike alot lately.... today I did 23.5 miles & finished up with free weights when i got back home.

Monday I did a massive bike ride, at least massive for me... I went further distance then I ever have.. did 44 miles with two 4 minute sitdown water breaks durring..took me approximately 3 hours & 50 minutes ride time...the trail consists of flat & slight inclines & a moderate hill...& is 5.5 miles out to the end of trail & of course 5.5 back..I did that 4 times...I burned a bit over 4000 calories with that.

2Crowded

24.7 miles today.... 2 hours & 7 minutes to complete.... 2maro I figure I will go a fair bit further again...see how I feel..unless it rains...if thats the case then I will ride indoor bike & do free weights & such.

dooby-duck

I ride my bike every day. I do around 90 miles a week, usually about 45 minutes or 12 miles a day. I do ride fast most of the time except for Sunday when I go on a longer, slower ride.