Escape's Journal.

Deus_Ex_Lemur

Good! Easy with weather and nothing to do but sit in all day to get depressed and doubtful.

And yes - take it slowww. Gonna hurt. Build up. You'll ease into a routine as figure what's best for you - ie: jog in morning, afternoon, when to go to gym, etc.

Also there's a few nice calorie and food apps on the iphone and android and other phones that really help keep track of food/nutrients/etc. OR old way of pen and paper works too =)

And I am a proponent of health and mind. Body and mind are one. And believe more or less based the gluten thing. However that's not a one all reason - diet/health is a huge part - but so is other areas as behavior and thinking. Ie: your self-talk, perceptions, how handle stress, Which will also - in turn - keep your body healthy and mind it's an interconnected cycle.

Last edited:

DespairSoul

Escape A.,

:) Congratulations going to a gym. wow u are very good to doing all that with anxiety, u are right proud of yourself!
I will be soon addicted on your journal. Lovely read your posts.

EscapeArtist

Deus: I agree :) It is not all health. I suppose it largely depends on whether you're the kind of person that improves starting with physical, and moving to mental, or starting with mental and getting to physical. Whichever one comes more naturally.. For me it's very physical>mental. If I am feeling physically optimum I am a positive, social, talkative person who has confidence. It's quite odd, but it's why I put so much pressure on it. Realizing physical needs were more important to me as an individual completely changed my life last year and gave me hope for life... And then there are the people that need to start mentally and usually that eventually brings wanted physical changes as well! So yes hah that turned into a long reply :)

Despair aw, I'm glad to have you as a reader of my journal!! Thanks :D

Ok so first of all, I feel AMAZING right now.... I think it's day 2 raw. I was actually dancing in front of my computer screen to fleetwood mac a few seconds ago. I think if I wasn't typing this I would still be dancing. I feel like I'm tingling with euphoria :) Hahahah... I guess that's my body saying I must be doing something right!

I didn't exercise today but frankly I don't mind. I didn't feel like exercising today, eventually I trust that I will.

Uhhhmm what else. Well, I had a pretty bad day today. I considered today a low point, because I had an interesting counseling session that still has me doubting myself and pretty much everything I have built up over the last year. I don't think that was her point- to cause me to doubt myself... Especially because she once said "Don't doubt yourself". But, I walked out of there in complete doubt of everything. She asked me to sum up how I was feeling and I didn't know at the time, it was DOUBT.... nonetheless.

The session began with me bringing up my self-sabotaging behavior. When I am on a winning streak I self-sabotage because I fear uncontrollable loss IE. what is considered 'fear of failure'. Somehow, I barely remember what happened after that. I think after she began to talk, I began to block her out as a defense against the doubt. She said things like that I wasn't the same person as when I first came in 2 months ago. (2 months ago was after my big health break through, when I thought my anxiety was cured and I was planning on going to an eco-village). She said that if I wait to start up on my health thing and don't pursue anything else, I will self sabotage again. I whole heartedly agree with this. I know that after a few weeks of putting the focus on health I have to dive in socially, through getting a job, volunteer position, anything. I tried to tell her that I'm a person that sabotages self when I feel too much pressure, and that I need at least a few weeks to create a semi-safe and calm space inside of myself before I can truly transfer my focus. To me, she was acting like I wasn't doing anything to help myself. I told her that I am handing out resumes today... I have been attending appointments with this youth-service-job guy to work on resumes, I have applied for a program that helps you attain a job (that unfortunately gets way more applications than spots available, slim chance), and I am exercising regularily and only now working on eating right to get out of my depression so that I can take the next step and do things that I enjoy (hobbies, volunteering..)

Well, to me that's a LOT in ONE week! Maybe I didn't translate this right to her... I probably didn't, because I shut down in the beginning to defend my thoughts... If I kept listening to her I would end up pouncing on myself and telling myself that I didn't do well enough. Right now, I need to build up that part of myself that says "You know you are going in the right direction! You believe in yourself! Even if you veer off course now, I know you'll get back to it... You trust you"

At the same time I know where she is coming from. I walked into her office as this person who wanted exposures PRONTO, I was ready! And then I quickly back-stepped to a very unsure and depressed girl. What she doesn't know is that, all of my life I have been the unsure and depressed girl, that moment of self love and worldly trust was rare and the first time I had felt it. So who is she to assume that if I try again at it i'm going to fail because "It's a pattern?". It's not even a pattern, from what I know a pattern is repeatative... What this is me seeing an exit out of this misery finally, through focusing on taking care of and trusting ME for once, and veering off course does not mean I will 'collapse' my progress the next time I try... Well, I am almost angry now. I guess I just don't understand where she's coming from. I don't get it either, because we AGREED... So why did she treat me like I'm not doing anything to help myself? Maybe it was just my secretly bottled feeling of betrayal that came off as the 'sadness' that she sensed.. Maybe that's what did it in.

And I just realized I have job applications to fill out before tomorrow morning. Woopsie, bye

los77

it's seems like your doing to me, i really don't see why she would feel your not trying hard enough... as long you feel you're doing what you have to do, you should be ok.

EscapeArtist

Thanks los, you're right.. That's reassuring.

I thought it was time for an update, not that anybody really reads this.
I feel like i'm definitely reverting into my old paranoid and negative self, and it sucks. For instance, I can barely post a post on here without being paranoid that I'm being _______ or that somebody is hating on me for every little thing I do. I know I say this too much *eyeroll* but I know this is diet related because lately I have been sucking in that department, and it has reverted me back into my old self, really.... Walk around like a dazed zombie with no thoughts.

I went out and hung out with a new friend today and I was very self critical the entire time, which led me to doubting every thing I did and beating myself up for it... It was a lovely time, though. We went walking around a nice park, talked for a bit, sat on the beach. It was lovely. I do wish I wasn't soo... self critical. I was literally criticizing myself in my head the ENTIRE time, non-stop. But if anything it has motivated me to go raw again lol... Because at least it stops when I'm doing that... And now I know that backtracking isn't some new magical escape, all it does is revert me to my old self, before self-transformation.

So there are a few things I'm adding to my 'plan of action':
(wow this computer is killing my eyes...wow)
1. Have an out-"event" every day. This can be as simple as going to the gym in the day time, going to the market, going for a long walk... Even just going to go sit on a million busses and see where I end up (I have been yearning to do this for so long). The only rules are that I need to step out the door between the time I wake up and 4PM. *Mind blank... What am I talking about? God I'm out of it...* uhm... Oh yeah. I want to be out for more than 2 hours at least, 3-6 hours favorable. Every single day. I am currently looking for both volunteer work and a job. The volunteer work should come soon. I am also hoping to join a group I found for volunteer work. It's a scary thing because it's a social-group unofficial volunteer group, it includes a post-walk and picnic, which means more socializing less focus. More intimidation less distraction. I am going to see if somebody will come with me...
2. I'm going back to raw. I don't give a **** if it's giving me extreme money anxiety because it's costing so much and I only have so much money with me. It's truly the only thing that makes me feel like I want to wake up each day. Man. ALSO. It's the only thing that allows me to fall asleep early, when I'm off of it I get extreme insomnia... BUT! I am not ONLY going to do raw, and just put all of my focus on diet. Because unless I channel my energy in more than one area, I will self sabotage. Putting all of my hopes on one thing leads me to fretting constantly over that one thing and then sabotaging it so that I don't have to worry that I will fail. Also I need to DROP the idea of losing weight, and just accept that IT'S OKAY TO BE UGLY, OR FAT. This is just another means of becoming a better person, growing, learning to love self despite flaws...

3. Include other hobbies in the day.
This is me trying to pry myself off of the computer/television a little bit. I don't want to ban myself from it because strict restrictions don't work for me. So I'm going to begin by including guitar playing, music listening, walks, books... Writing... I want to get into gardening.... Want to get into knitting.... or wood carving.... unusual-object-sculpting (like carving things out of watermelons, sand, pumpkins, or that rug drawing I posted on here that once... ETC, it's fun) plant identification... biking (bike dead again, currently though). Things on the rise. Obviously I am going to have to establish some hobbies....

I am currently taking a bit of a break from exercising, my ankle has been sore for like 2 weeks now from too much incline treadmill running... It heals, and then I walk on it for a bit, and then bam it's sore again and needs to heal for 3 days. I don't know what to do about that because exercise is extremely important for mood regulation.

4. Family relationship repair.
This one is the most difficult, and I think I'm going to have to do some heavy work on myself before I can get to this one... The thing is, nobody in my family listens to what I say. I mainly want to rekindle the relationship with my younger sister and my mother. With my younger sister, I have so much bottled up that I want to tell her simply because I don't get to talk about myself at all, that it makes it hard to listen to her talk about her life... I don't know, that might sound cruel. I do listen to her, but I am so tired/worn out/depressed all the time lately that it is simply hard to hear somebody out when, I feel like that, I guess. I am normally there for her to talk her heart out to. But I haven't been lately. I love being there for her, but it is hard to feel invisible...
With my mother, she is highly critical. She has improved a lot from what she used to be, but she is still highly critical... When I am around her I find that my highly critical side comes out. I just realized this today, actually, and I now am beginning to think that is spiking my negativity lately. Without her, I also feel detached, alone. She is usually the only one that attempts to listen to me... It may not be a successful attempt but she tries and that's what matters. I also feel like I am depriving her of her child by trying to avoid her presence. Quite honestly she hates me right now, I know that, she has said it. I bought her grapes a few days ago but warned her that they were going fast, and she replied with "I can't be around you anymore, you are just too negative, please..." I stupidly replied with "... Pointing out negativiIty during a kind act is seeing negativity and thus being negative, as well". I realized immediately after that me pointing out her negativity is exactly the same thing. Obviously it is something we both have to work on the rekindle any kind of relationship. I do acknowledge that I am negative lately and am working on that...

Lastly, I have an interview for a program that trains you to get a job while paying you. I'm not too nervous about it right now because I'm waiting for right before the interview to realize what I have to do, and then act on instinct and be as natural and honest as possible. My anxiety is the reason I am using for the 'barrier' that one needs from the work-force to get into the program. Because I have to be open and honest about my anxiety to get in, it makes it more honest, more comfortable... I'm not even sure if I want to get in, apparently it is very high-stress and intense, 5 days a week 6 hours a day and 1.5 months long, followed by a 4 month internship. I think it could be very helpful but I am afraid of the intensity of it... Maybe that is what I need, though.

So that's what's going on for ... those that read this hoping to get something out of it. I'm not too sure what you get out of it... :/

Last edited:

Deus_Ex_Lemur

A new GUY friend? *nudges EA*

I read your journal. This is the cycle of this disorder and everything. It's inevitable there will be slips and falls back to the negative thinking, depression, bad habits, over-thinking, etc. It's not possible this early to be happy go lucky positive motivated 110% 24/7. Nor do I think you thought it would be. But... the key is getting back on it right away, ADAPTING - to get a consistency.

It's not a linear progression. There's gonna be ups and downs. It's those small steps forward. All the time, trying.

- Getting out of the house is KEY. That was my big fault this weekend. I stayed cooped up all day Friday - and got overwhelmed by all I have to do by the end of this coming week. BUT - I'm determined to not let it crush me like usual or JUST SLIDE BY like usual.

So - FIND what MOTIVATES YOU - a picture - a memory - write it out every day. Whatever.

Exercise - you are sore because you over did it. And that's just a physical reaction to doing something your body is not used to doing. Take it slow - build up - your muscles will adapt, energy increase and soreness dissipate.

Don't put your hopes in one thing gosh I do this too. Self-sabotage - subconscious sabotage I say.

excepting you are "ugly" is negative. No. You WILL lose weight - eventually - it will take TIME and ya are not ugly - and dont need to accept something so dastardly as that. Accept it's okay to be who you are right now - if you view that as fat, or any self-image issues - I'm not gonna patronize and say never think that its not true. I have my own self image issues. Those thoughts and beliefs, false as much may be, will be there. BUT DONT let that stop you NOW ...

We all have flaws. Love thyself despite them yes. But - don't go overboard with expounding your "flaws"... =)

Family - takes time and understanding.

Anyways... hobbies are good! AND you ONCE you get out and volunteer - whether get a paid job or not that's gonna be huge. Trust me. Yes, scary at first and all that... but esp volunteer, helping others...

Self-critiquing ones self - yeah - thats one of the hardest things to change thought patterns. I'm uber self critical esp in similar situations like you mentioned. Physical relaxation before and even during I've found helps. And I guess this raw diet does for you interesting lol perhaps it's a placebo too? lol. But whatever works! =D

Anyways start of a new week - go get 'em sport.

Last edited:

EscapeArtist

A new GUY friend? *nudges EA*

I read your journal. This is the cycle of this disorder and everything. It's inevitable there will be slips and falls back to the negative thinking, depression, bad habits, over-thinking, etc. It's not possible this early to be happy go lucky positive motivated 110% 24/7. Nor do I think you thought it would be. But... the key is getting back on it right away, ADAPTING - to get a consistency.

It's not a linear progression. There's gonna be ups and downs. It's those small steps forward. All the time, trying.
You are right! This is something I must learn and am excited to...

- Getting out of the house is KEY. That was my big fault this weekend. I stayed cooped up all day Friday - and got overwhelmed by all I have to do by the end of this coming week. BUT - I'm determined to not let it crush me like usual or JUST SLIDE BY like usual.
:D You can do eet! And yes, getting out of the house in the day is nearly the most important thing you can do for SA

So - FIND what MOTIVATES YOU - a picture - a memory - write it out every day. Whatever.

Exercise - you are sore because you over did it. And that's just a physical reaction to doing something your body is not used to doing. Take it slow - build up - your muscles will adapt, energy increase and soreness dissipate.
I will definitely be doing that next time.. I can't believe my ankle is still out :/ But not being able to exercise is going to happen. Forces me to find a few other coping mechanisms/things to focus on..
Don't put your hopes in one thing gosh I do this too. Self-sabotage - subconscious sabotage I say.

excepting you are "ugly" is negative. No. You WILL lose weight - eventually - it will take TIME and ya are not ugly - and dont need to accept something so dastardly as that. Accept it's okay to be who you are right now - if you view that as fat, or any self-image issues - I'm not gonna patronize and say never think that its not true. I have my own self image issues. Those thoughts and beliefs, false as much may be, will be there. BUT DONT let that stop you NOW ...
I will try not to... You're right. I haven't given up, on improving myself physically, but I can't let it be my main focus either. Self acceptance is difficult....
We all have flaws. Love thyself despite them yes. But - don't go overboard with expounding your "flaws"... =)

Family - takes time and understanding.

Anyways... hobbies are good! AND you ONCE you get out and volunteer - whether get a paid job or not that's gonna be huge. Trust me. Yes, scary at first and all that... but esp volunteer, helping others...
You have excited me for this

Self-critiquing ones self - yeah - thats one of the hardest things to change thought patterns. I'm uber self critical esp in similar situations like you mentioned. Physical relaxation before and even during I've found helps. And I guess this raw diet does for you interesting lol perhaps it's a placebo too? lol. But whatever works! =D
Whatever works indeed. I am god-damn lucky to have found a way for me and to know which way to head to get out of this tunnel.

Anyways start of a new week - go get 'em sport.

If this is how you talk to yourself, man, you are a solid motivator, I tells ya. Thankyou for this post :) And the length and effort you put in it. ::p:

asdfasdfasdfasdf

EscapeArtist

I had that interview today for the program I'm attempting to get in. I think I did pretty well. I didn't look like a nervous wreck, but I did have trouble finding words. I did stumble over my words a bit, I think I smiled way too much and came off as phoney, and I don't think I answered in enough length and detail... Because the interview ended up being 20 mins. Is that short? Well, that was a solid negative evaluation on myself. On the other hand, I think I made decent eye contact-amount, I didn't bore into their eyes the whole time, I didn't say anything I would have regretted, I didn't tell them too much about certain things that are certainly problems with me and the program, I laughed when they laughed, smiled when they smiled, near the end I made an effort to smile less at least, and I made a special note to say at least a sentence with most things, and I'm pretty sure at the end the lady said "This looks hopeful" or something to me, I don't remember clearly because I was talking over her nervously saying "Thanks...Yes..Yes" lol.

Then I went and wrote my cover letter for the program with my youth worker. My guess is that I have a 50-60% chance of getting in. Apparently they get a lot of applicants, but we did a lot to get in! For one, we met the co-ordinator of the program a few weeks ago just to familiarize me with her and ask her about the program. Then my youth worker sent her a thank-you email that described my situation a little bit more, and apparently the co-ordinator said that I seemed very calm and she would have never suspected that I had SA! Sweet. I wonder why people always say that. Anyways, then I went to get a referral into the program (necessary) which required a thorough-er evaluation and interview from this guy named Ryan, made a resume with him... Handed it in early during the interview for the program. And I don't think there are many applicants that have both a youth worker and then another youth-helper-service guy. And then of course, I wrote the cover letter and will email it to the coordinater tomorrow afternoon (1 day after receiving it, so I seem on the ball but not like I didn't take any time on it). And then I wait.

My youth worker is leaving to go on a trip to Africa/Asia soon... I have one last visit with her and then I get a new person :( I'm actually quite sad about this. I've had her for 3 months, seeing her weekly... Had some really good talks and some really nice laughs with her... I kind of began to view her as an older sister. I mean, without her I could not have done any of this and she made it seem so EASY and was so supportive and understanding in every situation.. Ah I'm going to miss her. I think I'm going to make her a thank-you card and buy her a nice bright spring-resembling flower to put in it. Maybe a tulip or something pretty lovely...

I'm also meeting a new youth workery person next week, I am told that we are going to 'click' pretty well so I'm looking forward to that as well... I guess it's good to not get too attached anyway hey? That seems to be my trend though. I leave people too early, purposely before I get attached . Before anything can become 'dull' or reliant. But hey, this time it's not my doing, so that's good....

Have a good.. Wednesday.

Last edited:

DespairSoul

Hello,

EA i'm sorry u are gonna lose it your youth worker. U started feel comfortable around her and now she go, is really sad coz was hard to start trust her and come closer for u.
I hope this new one u will like at least half as u did first one:) And u are very brave for all what u are doing. Excellent! Thumbs up:)

EscapeArtist

Thanks Despair :) <3

Today was my last time with the social worker, I also met the new social worker. I guess it's too easy to be critical when you're attached to somebody. I was kind of resentful towards the new social worker (I tried not to show it) simply because I guess I was angry the first one was leaving. I feel like me and her have this connection, kind of a similar way of thinking, similar style of comedy, actually we think a lot of the same things at the same time and usually it's scary. Saw the world through a similar lens. We're just on the same page, and she listened to me when nobody else would. She was also so positive and I so needed that... I could go out and do something with her anytime and come back in a good mood, just because in comparison to family, she was so non judgmental! And she actually ASKED about me... like every time we did anything. Which was crazy. And I mean, I was beginning to JOKE AROUND with her!! Crazy! Anybody will tell you that I have never done that with.. not more than a few people of the past. I kind of forgot humor even existed. Not to mention, same sense of humor = she actually laughed = made me feel like, hey, maybe I do have that humorous side of me that I am so self conscious about not having.

Maybe I'm being over-dramatic. It's not like we knew eachother that well, we just seemed to fit together well, she was really genuine. A real role model. Anyways. She said that she'd get together with me when she got back even if she wasn't my social worker :) which is really nice of her. I bought her a pretty bouquet of these big orange flowers of some sort and she seemed really touched about it. I think she might have actually been sad to leave as well, I just got that kind of vibe behind her joking-sobs and such that she really meant it.

I think this loss really struck home because I desperately need a 'guidance' figure... A parent, or an older sister, which I both have but both don't want to be around me... My parents make me seem like something that gets in the way of their lives. Something that they will finally be rid of one day. A nuisance who does everything wrong. I heard from a friend of mine who read a book, that if one does not have a decent connection with the mother, or is neglected by the mother, they are not satisfied with any relationship until they re-create a mother-daughter relationship with another person. I think this is the case

I tend to have a hard time with ANYBODY leaving. Very sensitive. Let alone somebody I came to trust and who was soo so accepting. She even began to ask me for advice on some things. But I see this all as something that was really lovely to have rather than lost, which is a real improvement for me. Especially seeing that it came naturally to appreciate the new challenge of a new person.

I have to be honest, though. I got really nervous/afraid of this day, I am meeting a new person who is going to ask about personal issues of mine AND I'm losing somebody I trust. So I did take some kratom before I went, and I feel almost like I... faked the last day I even had to appreciate a positive person. I feel fake. Ah, well.... I learned.

So... my judgmentalness, simply is because there is some loss attached, and a kind of "you won't replace that person" feeling. But the new social worker seems like she's just not into it as much... She's from the town that I used to live in. I used to hate that town becuase everybody had the EXACT same "distant" and slightly "I'm worth more than your time" kind of feel... She doesn't have that as much as most of the people in that town but she had a hint of that to me :/ . She seemed less understanding and less enthusiastic... No offense... I mean, I hope once I get to know her more, or maybe on a more talkative day for her? then we'll get along better... But we seem different in attitude you know? I feel like she may be putting her own walls up. Although, she had kind eyes, she did ask some questions, but she seemed, as I said, to be distant. I kind of hated the whole idea of having somebody that takes you out to do things, but I stuck with the concept because the girl I got was so kind. So now I'm back to "meh". But, I ended up seeing this as the 'next level', a challenge. The old social worker became a comfort zone very quickly, this new one makes me feel very uncomfortable.. Especially because she doesn't seem to understand social anxiety (I have a group you could join, you could carpool out there... etc :/). So I will see it more as a challenge that I do need and am ready for.

On another note, I had another counseling session, and I can't even remember what we talked about... Maybe because I didn't talk. It was just my mom and my counselor talking about me in front of me, basically. Honestly, I don't trust my counselor. She tries to push me. I respect that, but she doesn't know me, my walls go up. Don't go there. Simple, because I shut off if you do. But she never got to know me, so how would she know. I feel like people who try to push me don't appreciate what I am doing. I could be doing a lot worse than I am. The small things are important, and I'm making progress. I don't want to be a perfectionist in overcoming perfectionism. The goal here is to be happy with gradual change, and not to stress/worry so much. I feel like she does not see what she is reinforcing. But, I also see that she wants me to develop something consistent, like going on a walk, which I really would like to do and agree with. Again, it's the way she puts things.... I told her I'm looking for volunteer work, and so she starts pushing it and her attitude switches to this kind of "I don't believe that you will" type of thing and then she starts demanding more from me when I haven't volunteered yet.

Longpost. Always feel bad about that. Keep posting long to face the fear. Never truly works lol.

Last edited:

hoddesdon

Important not to be a perfectionist in trying to overcome perfectionism. So is it a symptom or a cause (?). In your case criticism by family, a situation which can not be escaped, making the criticism inescapable: perfection is the only escape.

EscapeArtist

Hmmm seems more a symptom.. Clearly put, thanks hod. Work more on the cause, I see now..

Time to uncomfortably put thoughts out in the open today because I don't know where to put them.
Guess I'm feeling lost. I think it's the result of not having anybody to talk to / rely on now. Or, feeling like I don't, that is. Guess I'm still in the same rut but things become more real sometimes. I used to feel hopeful no matter what kind of rut I was in, but now I can't even remember the seemingly mystical place that I was drawing my motivation from. Guess I feel too alone now.
I had some picture of the life I wanted and the person I wanted to be, and I think I have lost even the mental image of that person. I feel like I have lost all of my positivity and motivation but I don't know how to regain it without a lot of support. Not only is that support not there, but I am too afraid to be emotionally open when it shows itself. So hence.... ....

Last edited:
All will be ok and come back into balance eventually, just allow time to pass without berating yourself too much, or at all. When lost in the bush it is best to sit and wait and allow the landscape to reveal the best path out.

Deus_Ex_Lemur

All will be ok and come back into balance eventually, just allow time to pass without berating yourself too much, or at all. When lost in the bush it is best to sit and wait and allow the landscape to reveal the best path out.

Yes, but you can tend to sit there a while I have for 3 years. It's easy to make camp while you wait.

Sometimes, a passer by to lend a hand is best thing that can ever happen. Sadly, when SAD at worst, depressed, etc. tend to hide ourselves well into that bush.

You're not alone Sab; RL may lack some support. You can get it there. Life goes forward even if we don't go with it. You'll find your way. Some folks here can help. I am on a similar path, all my bushes have been bush whacked =D No more hiding and waiting.

Feathers

Hey hun ((hugs))

It's really great that you had the kind of support with your previous social worker - AND WHO KNOWS, maybe you can someday join her in Africa?? huh?? Or you could both go volunteer somehwere else?? Who knows?
It's great to think about how much you will have improved by the time she comes back, no?

This new social worker does sound like a bit of a challenge. I kinda know what you mean, because there's a town that I know that some people have kinda 'odd' attitude too.. (it's a chemically polluted town, so maybe that has something to do with it too - was your old town too? Might be worth to research a bit? Does it have chem industry or such?)
Maybe you can get another social worker if this one doesn't 'click' at all? Or you could find other supportive people? Or even volunteer with or go to meetups of any good organisations your previous soc.worker could recommend and meet more cool people like her?

Does your mum have her own therapist by now? Or is she on a waiting list or something?
Maybe the nagging could stop if you agreed on some 'to do's' - like that you'd enquire about a certain amount of volunteering/work opportunities weekly, or whatever else you'd be okay to do..
For some people the 'nagging' or 'I don't believe it' challenge works, for some, it doesn't.. I hate too much pressure too.. (Maybe you can even tell her it's not helpful and that too much pressure has the opposite effect-?) Or maybe she just wanted to 'look good' in front of your mum? (And maybe felt guilty a bit for not 'accomplishing better results' sooner?) Is this the same or a new therapist?

Is there any possibility for you to get free/cheaper housing like Saskia or a supported work/volunteer program like Puma?

I've been feeling odd and lost these days too, things still don't make much sense.. It's normal after a loss/grief.. I think.. (might wanna read up on the grief/loss cycle..) So I understand.. Try to be braver than me tho, I know you ARE BRAVER!! :) ((hugs))

EscapeArtist

Aws thanks guys.

Phocas I do hope so...

Deus it's good to know that I'm not alone, I wish somebody would freaking bush whack my hideaway

Feathers.. Thanks for the reply
I hope I do improve by the time she gets back.... I've gotten a lot worse since she left. I will seriously look into the chem lol that's brilliant! It could also be the chemical called MONEY! It's a rich area, that is hidden away in it's own world.

Mom doesn't have her own therapist.. Don't think she wants one, or she doesn't want to pay for one. I want to have some 'to-dos' but I just can't do it when things are listed out and 'supposed' to be checked off.. And this is a different therapist, from a few months ago, that is.

Actually my therapist just talked about a program like that! They pay 250 of your rent if you have a job. That is a serious option... I do want a job so badly

I will read up on the grief cycle, I think it could be really helpful thanks! (I see you as much braver than I!!)

EscapeArtist

Real post:

I'm so stressed. The new social worker asked me to RSVP through phone or email, well I was hoping for email except she sent the message to the wrong email address because I didn't get anything! I was too afraid to call at the time. This was last Wednesday... She never showed up. I still haven't called... I need to do it tomorrow. I will try to! I hope it's not too late or anything.

To another topic, my self esteem is back in the bucket.

It's hard to explain. I want to meet people but I don't see myself as worth it anymore. I've not been the best version of myself, let's just say, and have received a lot of criticism/alienation from family as a result, and even though in the end that was my fault I just have lost any sense of self worth that I built. I guess I never really did have family support in the first place, so I guess this is somehow tied into not having anybody to talk to who seems to care enough to want to be around me... I'm back to thinking I can't do anything right, back to thinking that people would be better off if I were dead (don't worry though It doesn't mean I want to be dead). I can't find it in me to be worth joining the 'happy' people.

I really want to get out there and volunteer, I might jump on it and throw myself into something before thinking about it over the next week. I honestly just want to be around people because I have forgotten what they are like (with the exception of TV.. reality shows). I don't expect to talk, and maybe that's okay. Maybe it's not SUCH a big deal to be "The shy one". What's the big deal with that anyways?!? There's USUALLY a "Shy one" in ANY group. Ill take that role, sure.

I wonder what would happen if I was completely open and honest to strangers about everything? I wonder if there would be a person who sympathizes or admires me, instead of seeing me as a negative freak?? I just wonder... Even if some stranger asked about me at a volunteer group and I admitted immediately that I have social anxiety and am trying to conquer it, what would happen? I don't know if that's really what I'm going to do because it's gutsy but I just wonder.

Last edited:

Deus_Ex_Lemur

Too much time to think about something is the worst. Heh I rejoined the Human race recently, with this class, which forces you to do group projects outside it. Did some - was up and down. This Wednsday/Thursday and Saturday is another long days. You'll get less shy - so what if you are at first? I WISH I COULD BE OPEN and tell ppl I have SAD... I suppose I could, easier with strangers then peeps gotten to know now... maybe excuse.

Either way... ppl would I think, in a volunteer group, which tends to be supportive, support you and thinking nothing less or anything. Never know till ya try =D You dont need to be the best version of yourself, just yourself, best as can be (different imo than "version"). Here's a poem I stumbled on last few weeks as I AM going through similar things you are...

If you can't be a pine on the top of the hill
Be a scrub in the valley -- but be
The best little scrub by the side of the hill;
Be a bush, if you can't be a tree

If you can't be a bush, be a bit of the grass,
And some highway happier make;
If you can't be a muskie, then just be a bass--
But the liveliest bass in the lake!

We can't all be captains, we've got to be crew,
There's something for all of us here.
There's big work to do and there's lesser to do
And the task we must do is the near.

If you can't be a highway, then just be a trail,
If you can't be the sun, be a star;
It isn't the size that you win or you fail--
Be the best of whatever you are!

---Douglass Malloch

If it's any consultation, I would totally hang out with you if I lived in your immediate area. I don't like any persons company in most cases, but you're definitely one of those rare people that are striking in personality.

I know it's quite difficult to get any sense of self worth when others are constantly criticizing, but the things is, they are also only human. Meaning; that they can be well mistaken in the observations they make. On top of that, some people tend to refer back to old stereotypes from the past rather then looking at your current character (my dad, for example, still think I'm lazy. Which I haven't been for over 10 years. Even though evidence has been right in his face.)

This is regular occurrence in families I've noticed. They think they know someone, but what they really know is a fictional character that is projected onto someone. But, you're not that character. And it's hard to realize that sometimes when people keep repeating your flaws all the time. You're not that stereotype, and you're not your flaws. You're just a person that tries to get by with the cards she's been dealt.

And it's not like you're not trying, either. In the obsession of progress we often forget to look back and see what a monumental change we've gone through. Be proud of what you've accomplished, little- or much as it may be.

Also, I like your honesty concept. It's always better to let people in on what you're going through. While they might see you as a normal person doing volunteer work, they don't quite grasp the difficulty behind it. If you were to tell that you have social anxiety (and don't want special treatment because of it), chances are that they'll admire you a lot for it. As they should, may I add.

EscapeArtist

I hope I can answer coherently in my sleep deprived state
Phil!
That means a lott to me. Thanks, for sharing. It's funny because you're actually one of those people I admire a ton. I do wish I could see how the heck i'm admirable but hey, it still means a lot to hear. You actually re-inspired the honesty part, with your theory on AvPD and witholding one's truth. I have thought that over and I think, (not including a fear of the intimacy of true emotions) this makes much sense. It is quite a clever theory

I will try that simple yet extremely difficult approach... It is very difficult for me to not run and hide when it's time to accept reality and thus I push myself into dark crevices. Perhaps using consistency is most important with the "act as if you are who you want to be" theory, or as you said, to be and do as if a happier you.

I am going to feed off of that encouraging and rather inspiring power of honesty that you have applied to real life and try it for myself! Why not. There is nothing better than sorting out those who will be there for you and those who will not, even right at the start. Heart-on-sleeve accepting-of-all-people, that's where it's at, there is no better way to find them... Turning away a thousand people for such a person is worth it

I bet you are able to be openly honest in these journal type posts! If you were to try. It's surprisingly difficult to post each and every time on this journal. I usually shut down my computer and hide from it after each post, and then I don't reply for a few days. It is actually getting more difficult each time, as I find myself telling myself that I am slowly earning the reputation of a blabber mouth ego freak. Lol. You could say it's good motivation to spend time away from the computer :p Maybe it's worth trying? It certainly gets one used to feeling like many people can see them

I feel like you might like this. Unsure why. Perhaps because Radiohead was often inspired by Four Tet. This is a lot more colourful than Radiohead, though.

YouTube - Four Tet-Hands

Last edited: