Ego

Overload

I've finally come to realize that I have a MASSIVE ego, and I'm an *******. I have a hard time genuinely caring about anyone other than myself. This is where my anxiety stems from. All I have to do is stop thinking about myself so much. Easier said than done, but I'm working on it.

Mokkat

I know what you mean. I've come to the conclusion recently that growing up with anxiety and popularity centered lower school with only untrustworthy friends to be found, has left me with a strongly cemented "me".
This "me" is more or less built on egoism, jealousy and grudges, and self-criticism and comparison with others (instead of acknowledgement from people) for self-development.
Between the "me", growing up with healthy principles of threating others well, and always having tried to fit in (occasionally trying out being an *******, to appear loud and outgoing, etc), Im now a pretty sad character.

In the recent years I have tried to stop using facades, to just be "me", whenever Im with people - but that plan has backfired since the real "me" is not a person you would want to hang out with. Maybe its not as bad, but between the real "me" not being very good at meeting new people, my own bad perception of "me" and my avoidance, I dont feel good or confident about it.

coyote

the more we let go of our own thoughts

of self, of place, of time, of others

and just live in the perfection of each moment,

the less we have to fear

da_illest101

I've finally come to realize that I have a MASSIVE ego, and I'm an *******. I have a hard time genuinely caring about anyone other than myself. This is where my anxiety stems from. All I have to do is stop thinking about myself so much. Easier said than done, but I'm working on it.

I know what you mean, i have the same problem. I'm self centered and live in my own little world, but i'm no *******. I do care about myself more then anything else but I still help others in need when I have no panic attack

madmike

I know what you mean. I've come to the conclusion recently that growing up with anxiety and popularity centered lower school with only untrustworthy friends to be found, has left me with a strongly cemented "me".
This "me" is more or less built on egoism, jealousy and grudges, and self-criticism and comparison with others (instead of acknowledgement from people) for self-development.
Between the "me", growing up with healthy principles of threating others well, and always having tried to fit in (occasionally trying out being an *******, to appear loud and outgoing, etc), Im now a pretty sad character.

In the recent years I have tried to stop using facades, to just be "me", whenever Im with people - but that plan has backfired since the real "me" is not a person you would want to hang out with. Maybe its not as bad, but between the real "me" not being very good at meeting new people, my own bad perception of "me" and my avoidance, I dont feel good or confident about it.

Being self-critical, jealous and having grudges, they seem to me to stem more from insecurities about yourself than from ego. Isn't ego pretty much on the opposite end of the scale?

I'd say both of you may have your faults, but you don't sound like *******s! I doubt egotistical people would ever admit to this fault because they're not capable of critisizing their precious self.

Minty

Most people do. The ego expresses itself in many ways. Arrogance, greed, selfishness, anxiety, etc. Everyone has their own personal demon and usually that demon stems from the ego. Don't think you're alone in this. And you've made the first step towards a more peaceful place by acknowledging this has to do with your ego. Most people don't get there in one life time.

emerald_star733

You are wise to recognize this... most get stuck in their ego(myself included)... i try to get into the observer perspective when i find myself stuck within the traps of it.. From the observer i can watch my ego in amusement and not get sucked into it.. just a tool i sometimes remember to use(and more often forget to lol);)

JamesSmith

Eh, most people are like this though, except for ******* part. Most people have a huge ego and mostly care about themselves. In most cases, people talk to other people just because it feels good to be connected to other people. If people didn't have such huge egos, we wouldn't have this high-tech, mass media, skyscraper world we live in now.

It's incredible how much of social-life is fake. Let's face it, when a guy is hitting on a girl, he really doesn't give two hoots about how her friend is a good swimmer. He is talking to the girl to get in her pants eventually, so he can feel good. I'm not saying all people are fake, but a lot of them are. It's just that most people are mainly out for themselves. I mean if you want to have the life that you want, and the only way to get that is to satisfy your needs. So it's not such a bad thing to have an ego. As Springsteen sang, "Everybody's gotta hungry heart." And then Bill Cosby said, "I don't know the key to success, but I know the key to failure is trying please everybody." You said you should think about other people, that's not a bad thing, but it sure doesn't hurt to think about yourself often.