Does anyone Obsess about death/dying/dead bodies/coffins/nothingness once we die?

Dear noelliesmommy,

As a fellow OCD sufferer, I understand where you are coming from. Originally I thought I was going crazy thinking about insane things that "normal" people don't really think about. Some examples would be death, thinking about hurting myself or others (even though I know I would never do it), and the afterlife. After doing some research about OCD, I found that these thoughts are common occurrences in sufferers of OCD. Now, I am not a religious guy by any means, so sometimes it is hard for me to cope with death. I sometimes think about what will happen when I die, whether I go to a new place or whatnot. I can even scare the crap out of myself if I think about it for too long (or even ruin my mood for the day). My only advice for you is to just think about life and what is in front of you. We can't contend with death, no matter how much we think about it. Nothing will come of worrying over it. Obviously saying this is much easier than actually doing it, but I hope my words can help. I just want you to know you are not alone out there. Good luck and if you ever need to talk, please respond!

I do. I usually wonder every day how I will die, when, and how it will feel when it happens. ...we would feel much better if we could live in the moment more huh.

fitftw

I think about death and the afterlife almost all day, every day. I'm surprised I'm not dead yet, actually. I dream of dying in my sleep every night.

waking.png

bardock

I'm not scared of death, not scared of leaving this world coz I have nothing to lookforward to in this world.

Kevin T

I don't fear death or nothingness at all. I look forward to it since there is nothing for me to live for, but I do have a fear of being buried alive.

da_illest101

you are not the only one. I have been doing that for the past 8 years and it keep on getting worse and worse. I don't belief in the afterlife nor do i believe that life has any meaning. I simply think that people like to sugar coat everything to lower their fears.

OceanMist

I used to be terrified of death. I am trying to come more to terms with death. It is unavoidable.

I can say that I used to be so scared of death that I wouldn't want to go to sleep. I was afraid that I'd die in my sleep.

she1slander

I used to obsess over it when I first dealt with depression and severe anxiety. I remember contemplating when it would come... will I be prepared for when it's time for me to pass on from this life without knowing if I've fulfilled my purpose in being here??? Then again, at that time, I was so down with myself, I didn't even care about what I had to do or if it even mattered in the long run. I was only worried about what my family or the people around me would feel when I was gone. Somehow the thought of death wasn't really a scary thing. I yearned for it even more whenever I felt overwhelmed by the pain I was experiencing as a trouble teenager. That feeling where you are a prisoner in your own body and despised everything about yourself to the point that you'd look for death as an escape.

But right now, I'm passed that point where my views on death is an alternate route to escape my problems for I know that my memories here on Earth will carry with me for the rest of my life. So death would never just be an option as I know that someday it'll come and it is inevitable. I accept the fact that it is part of our mortal existence the same as being born and as Shakespeare would say: "They have their exits and entrances..."

Now I understand that while there is a beginning, there is an end. And after there's an end, there is another beginning 'cause where it all ends, it's the beginning of something much more important. Especially for those suffering from a fatal disease... Maybe that's why I looked at death as a peaceful beginning to a tragic end. I still remember that time when my aunt suffered from cancer and didn't survive. ::(: At least now I know she's in a better place.

I've tried to rationalize it to make myself feel better. Especially lately, as I have been seriously considering suicide and I'm trying to bring myself to accept the fact that I will no longer exist anymore. I don't really want to die, and yet I do, because I feel that there is no chance for me to be happy any more - I can't change the cause of my despair and acceptance just leaves me feeling worthless and ugly. Basically, it's how I feel now. I feel that I have accepted my fate and I can't live with it, so I would rather die.

I've "practiced" dying... sort of. I've imagined, just before I fall asleep, that this is it, I will never wake up, never feel anything ever again. It scares me every time I do it, the finality of it. There's no going back. I don't want it but I see no other way. The problem is how to go about it, as I guess I am a coward. Even though I want to die I am still deathly afraid (pun totally intended) of pain and violence and heights and all that. Doesn't mean I don't want it, though, but my fear would stop me every time, guaranteed. This doesn't make me less suicidal and I hate when people claim so. Whatever.

Anyway, yes, I fear death but I try to comfort myself with the fact that I didn't exist for trillions of years and beyond and so I'm just going back to what I came from: nothingness. That, and the fact that billions of humans have died before me and they were just fine... as far as we know. haha

I can say that I used to be so scared of death that I wouldn't want to go to sleep. I was afraid that I'd die in my sleep.

I wish I WOULD die in my sleep - I hope I do every night. It would make it soooo much easier.

That or a terminal illness or an instantly fatal car crash or something. Anything that takes it out of my hands and involves minimal pain (well, terminal illness involves a lot of pain but... yeah).

dyingtolive

I am scared too... but i believe in rebirth / sorta... and i don't think that out of the zillions of years of existence, that you only have one life.. memories can be forgotten but i think we are reborn. so to dream of death.. could be also to wish for a better chance.. another chance. i dont mind going out with a bang. i cant imagine aging if i know that theres no more hope to fix things. but i can still turn things around / this life isnt too late yet

MikeyC

I wish I WOULD die in my sleep - I hope I do every night. It would make it soooo much easier.

That or a terminal illness or an instantly fatal car crash or something. Anything that takes it out of my hands and involves minimal pain (well, terminal illness involves a lot of pain but... yeah).
::(: Equally as sad.

Last edited:

Dusan

I used to have panic attacks and fear that I'll die when I was 12-13 years old. I think it has something to do with OCD, maybe that was some type of OCD...who knows

Graeme1988

Hie yer hence from me heath!
When I'm in the grips of a pretty severe depression I tend to have suicial thought. So, I do think about death and dying.

Though, I think I'm more obsessed with the idea that - whilst still alive - I'll amount to, and do nothing with my life - as my dad said, after I told him that I dropped out of high school. ::(: I'm actually scared s**tless at the possibility that one day I might give into the impluse and actually committ suicide.