does anyone else get nervous walking down the street or even in a store?

kelskellian

Hi I'm kelly,I get nervous whether I'm alone or with someone.I get nervous walking downaa street,even with someone else.I get nervous walking in a mall,standing in a checkout line.getting on and off the bus...this anxiety is runing my life,anyone else have anxiety like this? I am so gr:)ateful I found this website

crazycatlady27

yay its not just me lol, i am awful with it for some reason. i cant go out much on my own and i am supposed to try and take my kid to school and walking there kills me, i panic everytime, the only thing i can do is walk my dogs and if there is someone on the steet just walking past i still have a nervous moment
it sort of ruled my life

MNM322

nope, i always have my dogs along and i can easily talk to people if they are with me and i feel safer. i dont walk alone

Uninvited

hi, It happens to me almost every day. When I go for a walk or to the local grocery store or when I am in the street I get the impression that all passers-by are staring at me and jugding me. These distorted thoughts make me really uncomfortable. The symptoms that you are describing aren't as rare as you think. I am very ashamed of my anxiety but I told my sister and my friend about my problem. In my case, confiding brought relief. They assured me that there is no reason to be nervous about as most people you pass are too busy to notice you. When it comes to your problem, why don't you observe yourself for a while because a lot of panic attacks and fears results from negative thoughts. These thoughts are really hard to notice in the beginning but it gets easier with time and practice. I'm currently working on it and I am aware that it takes a lot of effort and patience but you shouldn't get discouraged easily. Take care :)

truffleshuffle

I can get that way depending on how I am feeling that day.. I am more comfortable than I used to be and don;t freak out as much as I used to if I am alone. If I have someone with me I am fine most of the time.

That is one of my main problems, but I have to walk from school to the bus station everyday so I got used to but I still feel nervous everyday.

dottie

yes. you can grow in some ways, make small changes, but your anxiety will probably never be completely eradicated. some people in this world are more anxious than others, it is just a fact of life. there is a point where you just have to accept it as part of who you are.

i say this because initially most people view anxiety as something to be cured. in my experience and observations, this is just not so. you can throw a pill at it, but what happens? it comes back when the pill is gone. same with alcohol. you can become an alcoholic or pill popper, but when you stop taking these the anxiety is still going to be there. so, you just need to adapt in ways that are best for you and live with it.

i recommend CBT (cognitive behavioral therapy). if you can get counseling, talk to your counselor about that. if not, go to the library and check out books on the subject.

good luck!

kelskellian

Thanks guysfor ur input,I'm just recemtly being honest about my social phobia,I've been so embarrassed about to admitting to my little quirks,I usually just my nerves are bad,but that's not good enough. I need to talk about me walking down the street or riding the bus,the more I talk about it the better I feel.I most definately can't tell everyone about it,cuz not everyone understands and I want to be supported not made fun of,so I definately have to pick and choose who I confide in

ya i always feel this way. i feel like everyone is looking at me so then i end up walkin all funky n stuff. but i notice if i don't think bout them, then i walk all calm n normal. anyone else like dis?

Blablabla

ya i always feel this way. i feel like everyone is looking at me so then i end up walkin all funky n stuff. but i notice if i don't think bout them, then i walk all calm n normal. anyone else like dis?

Same as me. Only one way to cure it, be yourself. Unfortunately, it's not as easy as it sounds.

rocky_oreo

Yes I suffer from this quite bad. I can't leave the house on my own, I always have to have someone with me (there's a name for it, monophobia, I think). It all started when I got bullied at school and although I used to be able to leave the house on my own back then, school kids would come up and start shouting at me and making fun of me in public so everyone would look at me, so I suppose it all multiplyed from there.
If I have someone with me then I feel safe.
When I was younger I spent all my time looking at the ground but used to get told off for it and that I should hold my head up high and walk proud. So now I no longer look at the ground but when I see people I just try to avoid looking at them and pretend I'm looking at something else instead.
I have been told to pretend I'm confident on the outside so that if people see me in public, if I don't give away the fact that I'm scared then no one will notice if I act confident. I try that everytime but I still feel like everyone can see right through me

aNOTfox

Thats how I feel pretty much all the time. What you have to remember though is if you ever feel the need to avoid those situations, to stand your ground and face them, which is really tough I know. But if you start avoiding anxiety it will only turn up in your life in some other form. Stay strong :)

Quietguy11

I have an irrational fear that someone is randomly going to start talking to me and I'm going to come off as rude to them for not wanting to engage in much conversation. Sometimes I wonder if I just care too much what other people think but it really makes me anxious to think that I may have to use my voice in public with strangers. The only time I am comfortable talking is when I'm at a check out. I basically have my lines rehearsed. At home I hardly talk to anyone because I get anxious the moment I try to speak, and I sometimes get a little self-conscious when I'm in class. (Luckily no one takes the initiative to talk to me in class.) I normally just put my head to my studies during class hours so that I can block everyone around me out. <.< I don't do it to be mean, I just don't feel comfortable socializing, even small talking.

Kiwong

For a long time since high school, I was too scared to walk from one side of a room to another, or through a crowded shopping centre, if I thought someone was watching, my legs turned to jelly, and I was paralysed by a crippling sinking fear. Other kids used to follow me and tease me a call me monkey man.

Then I began to run, I ran to beat the bullies, and slowly my self-esteem returned through being able to run. Running for me is a life saver.

Quietguy11

For a long time since high school, I was too scared to walk from one side of a room to another, or through a crowded shopping centre, if I thought someone was watching, my legs turned to jelly, and I was paralysed by a crippling sinking fear. Other kids used to follow me and tease me a call me monkey man.

Then I began to run, I ran to beat the bullies, and slowly my self-esteem returned through being able to run. Running for me is a life saver.

That's really cool. :) Drawing really helped me build my self-esteem. I realized that life is not all about how many friends you have or how many clicks you have. It's really all about what you are meant to do in life, and what you can excel at with time, and practice. :D

Kiwong

It's great to find something in life that gives meaning, like drawing, Quiet Guy. There's a lot to be said for practice and hard work.

jaim38

I get nervous in public places partly because I don't know where to look. I don't want to come off as staring at people, being called gay, dumb, etc. People sense my anxiety and think I'm crazy.

That's really cool. :) Drawing really helped me build my self-esteem. I realized that life is not all about how many friends you have or how many clicks you have. It's really all about what you are meant to do in life, and what you can excel at with time, and practice. :D

Exactly! I don't want to just be happy, but also live a meaningful life doing what I am meant to do.

I am 44 now and live in France (come from England). When I was in England, I coped fairly well, and found that wearing dark glasses aided me very well; for some reason, as long as people could not see my eyes, I felt safe!

Here in France, is a whole different ball game! I cannot walk into a shop that I have never visited before because I am petrified that I will open the door the wrong way and make an *** of myself.

To be honest, I gave up the fight here in France, but about to do something that if I run away again from, I will always regret!