Do You Wish You Lived Somewhere Else?

EscapeArtist

Yes, although I don't like saying it. I feel unappreciative.
Vancouver is very open minded and diverse. At the same time, there is a huge contrast to this apparently open/friendly/down to earth vibe that the city and the types of people give off.. The people are cold unless you know them closely, and they don't let you in close. Strangers are something to only pay attention to if you have to. People have walls up. Especially compared to the USA, where strangers seem to wear their heart on their sleeve a lot more. I used to live in Portland and this contrast contributed to my social anxiety greatly. I would do anything to live in the US, but Vancouver is the best of Canada, so it's not horrendous..

vj288

not actually Fiona Apple
Yes, although I don't like saying it. I feel unappreciative.
Vancouver is very open minded and diverse. At the same time, there is a huge contrast to this apparently open/friendly/down to earth vibe that the city and the types of people give off.. The people are cold unless you know them closely, and they don't let you in close. Strangers are something to only pay attention to if you have to. People have walls up. Especially compared to the USA, where strangers seem to wear their heart on their sleeve a lot more. I used to live in Portland and this contrast contributed to my social anxiety greatly. I would do anything to live in the US, but Vancouver is the best of Canada, so it's not horrendous..

My grandperents recently visited Vancouver, and they descibed it as "full of Asians, thin people who don't drive cars, and half the people there are millionaires." .
:eek:mg:

EscapeArtist

My grandperents recently visited Vancouver, and they descibed it as "full of Asians, thin people who don't drive cars, and half the people there are millionaires." .
:eek:mg:

Lol!!
It's true too.
There is a huge asian area, and a huge east indian area. The people don't really move outside their culture much, unless it's the younger ones, and they all live in the asian or east indian areas, seperated for the most part. And then in ACTUAL Vancouver, you have to be rich to live well basically, It's like the 2nd most expensive city in the world!! So I'm not surprised haha

vj288

not actually Fiona Apple
Lol!!
It's true too.
There is a huge asian area, and a huge east indian area. The people don't really move outside their culture much, unless it's the younger ones, and they all live in the asian or east indian areas, seperated for the most part. And then in ACTUAL Vancouver, you have to be rich to live well basically, It's like the 2nd most expensive city in the world!! So I'm not surprised haha

Oh, so they actually knew what they were talking about, who knew :idontknow:::p:

MikeyC

And then in ACTUAL Vancouver, you have to be rich to live well basically, It's like the 2nd most expensive city in the world!! So I'm not surprised haha
Is that true? I guess that's just like any city, though. If you want to live in the very heart of Sydney, it becomes very, very expensive.

EscapeArtist

Is that true? I guess that's just like any city, though. If you want to live in the very heart of Sydney, it becomes very, very expensive.

Well I mean, by live "well" I meant by the general standard of suburbs in the US. To have a house in Van, yes you have to be pretty wealthy.. But you can get a 1 bedroom apartment for 1000/month at least. If yo'ure really on top of the deals.

MikeyC

Well I mean, by live "well" I meant by the general standard of suburbs in the US. To have a house in Van, yes you have to be pretty wealthy.. But you can get a 1 bedroom apartment for 1000/month at least. If yo'ure really on top of the deals.
Ah, fair enough. $1000 a month doesn't sound too bad for Vancouver. It's only a 1-bedroom thing, though, so to get something better, you'd better have a good job! Sounds eerily like Sydney!

EscapeArtist

Ah, fair enough. $1000 a month doesn't sound too bad for Vancouver. It's only a 1-bedroom thing, though, so to get something better, you'd better have a good job! Sounds eerily like Sydney!

I hear Australian prices are horrible!! Especially on produce. But the housing does sound a lot like van, not tooooo bad but still difficult

MikeyC

I hear Australian prices are horrible!! Especially on produce. But the housing does sound a lot like van, not tooooo bad but still difficult
Yep, Australian produce is one of the most expensive in the world. It's how it is, and we survive somehow. :)

It's difficult to live in Sydney. It's difficult to live anywhere. :sad:

Zav

Right now I live in a flat midwestern state, but I've always wanted to live in a mountainous area, like a smaller, walkable town nestled in the mountains, rather than a flat, sprawling suburb. Several years ago I vacationed in the Rockies/Colorado and I fell in love with that place. I'd mountain-hike everyday if I could. The environment there alone raises my spirits. Colorado, Washington state, Oregion, hell, even Alaska is a dream. Those places would be for me, I think. When I finish school I'm considering seeking jobs around those areas.

Labyrinthine

Sometimes I wish I could move somewhere else, anywhere else, where no one knows me. A clean slate sounds lovely. Especially with knowledge of the mistakes I've made in the past, and knowing what to do differently.
Realistically I'd just fall back into old patterns though.

Zav

Sometimes I wish I could move somewhere else, anywhere else, where no one knows me. A clean slate sounds lovely. Especially with knowledge of the mistakes I've made in the past, and knowing what to do differently.
Realistically I'd just fall back into old patterns though.

I have the same sort of motivations for moving as well. Although I'd enjoy the clean slate, I also know that meeting people in a new place would be really hard for me, not only from SA but also with no mutual friends to make connections in those places. It's hard enough to meet people now, in an area I've grown up in. The few friends I have here took a while to make and get to know, and part of me doesn't want to leave them behind.

Roman Legion

If you have the money for a van, you can make that habitable and just be a van dweller, I'm currently exploring this option, just need to get a little over $2k for a VW Vanagon Westfalia and I'm free to go where I want and live where I want. I'm trying to adopt the philosphy that life is a vacation, but finances are impeding that from taking effect.

Section_31

in a perfect world, theres a beautiful acreage 15 minutes out of town id love to love on. Close enough for high speed net access but far out enough to have the peace and quiet of the countryside.

I wouldnt need anything extravegent. Give me a 2 or 3 bedroom house and id be happy. Id have bird feeders set up to attract the chickadies in front of the windows so my cats have entertainment.

id like some land to be mine, with lots of trees. Id walk out of my back door, just lay down in the grove and listen to the sounds of nature and forget about life for a while.

Thinking about it i can smell the grass already.

dreams :)

truffleshuffle

I wish I owned my own homeand with a nice big fenced in yard with a fence my dogs would not clime over and not living in my appartment where I can;t have my dogs since there to big.

Last edited:

laure15

^Yes, I wished my house was facing the side of another house so that I have no neighbors from across the street. I also wish my house is located near an intersection so that i only have neighbors on one side but not the other.

If I was born somewhere else or went to different schools maybe life would have been better. But I'm glad that right now I have the chance to go somewhere else.

Dreamscape

I am living somewhere else right now. and it's not pleasent. Living alone with AvPD and SP isn't the great thing to deal with.. what I would like however born somewhere else that would give me wings and raise like a free spirit. But I still want to live somewhere else other than my home country... And yes I am THAT confused..