Do you think general people are scared of you?

fadedteal

Back when I was still agoraphobic, I always get the feeling from people's expressions that they were scared of me. Some of them even froze from what they were doing and just stared at me. It was like that most of the time I went out during my agoraphobic stage. Maybe it was because of my uncut hair and black-framed glasses back then that made me look scary, I don't really know. The atmosphere was just weird every time I went out and it made me even more nervous. Just sharing my SA-related experiences here as things had gotten better for me recently. I am no more agoraphobic and the feeling that people were scared of me is no longer with me when I went out. It was a really weird(and unpleasant) experience to have though.::p:

chickenmaryjane

Back when I was still agoraphobic, I always get the feeling from people's expressions that they were scared of me. Some of them even froze from what they were doing and just stared at me. It was like that most of the time I went out during my agoraphobic stage. Maybe it was because of my uncut hair and black-framed glasses back then that made me look scary, I don't really know. The atmosphere was just weird every time I went out and it made me even more nervous. Just sharing my SA-related experiences here as things had gotten better for me recently. I am no more agoraphobic and the feeling that people were scared of me is no longer with me when I went out. It was a really weird(and unpleasant) experience to have though.::p:

Yeah, I get the frozen "stares" a lot. I guess because I act really panicky when ever I go out.

WeirdyMcGee

No.. I get stares constantly but I assume it's because I'm hideous and they've never seen such a disgusting creature in the daylight.

I'm terrified of people - but I don't think anyone is as scared of me as I am of them.

lilmutegirl

I sometimes wish people found me more intimidating. Instead, I think they see me as an easy target because of my SA.

twiggle

I doubt anyone is scared of me, I'm too easy to walk-over (except by possessive male-interests, but that's another thing entirely)

Kiwong

Yes my anxiety triggers a range of responses; fear and anger. I feel like a spectator watching all this happen.

razzle dazzle rose

No, I don't think so...though little kids do regard me curiously. I don't like looking at them for fear I might make them cry, haha...

MikeyC

No.. I get stares constantly but I assume it's because I'm hideous and they've never seen such a disgusting creature in the daylight.
You know this is not true.

I doubt anyone is scared of me, I'm too easy to walk-over (except by possessive male-interests, but that's another thing entirely)
Sounds like me, minus the male-interests. I need to stand up for myself a little more because nobody is scared of me and most people don't take me seriously.

Diend

I think when people see me, they tend to group me into the Asian Gamers stereotype. I wear glasses, not athletic-looking, and I don't follow the latest fashions.

recluse

I think at times i come across as being angry because i feel so anxious. I have taken a picture of myself somtimes with a neutral expression and i look bloody scary and unaproachable. If i try to force a smile i look creepy like a paedophile or something.

Sometimes i will actually deliberately put on an angry expression if i feel unsafe walking somewhere in the hope that i don't get attacked.

recluse

I sometimes wish people found me more intimidating. Instead, I think they see me as an easy target because of my SA.

And me. People can read other people like a book from their facial expression, posture, voice and general demeanour. I hate it when people know i am shy straight away, it feels as if i have made myself vunerable.

My facial expression when shy - Either smiling too much or not at all, eyes looking down not making much eye contact, trembling lips.

My posture - Shoulders slumped, head slumped, feel squashed together and small, arms stiff by my side, legs like jelly.

Voice - Mumble, hard to articulate words, sometimes stammer, mix up words, voice soemtimes higher pitched.

Demeanour - Generally awkward and stiff.

coyote

...People can read other people like a book from their facial expression, posture, voice and general demeanour...

not always though

i'm generally feeling completely different on the inside than my outward appearance suggests

i try to project an air of calm self-assuredness, when i'm really screaming in panic on the inside

some people may call this "pretending" or "being fake"

others may call it "poise" or "bearing"

i see it as a form of protection

i learned at an early age that if i didn't give the bullies the satisfaction of getting me to respond the way they wanted, they'd leave me alone

they still did the damage - they just didn't see it

no one did

SPAlex

In my case is not that i THINK people are scared of me. In fact, two persons have told me that:

-In one occasion there was i guy that i consider a friend that didnt dare to ask me to repair his computer. Instead of telling me, he always gave the message to my best friend. One day i was very drunk with my best friend and i told him that i didnt understand that the other guy doesnt ask me in person and he told me that the guy was scared of me ::(:
-In other occasion i went to a lunch with some classmates from a course. I sat next to the only woman in the course and we started to have a nice conversation. The woman was drinking like a sponge and when she got pretty drunk she told me that until that day she was completely scared of me :eek: The funny thing is that i think she started to flirt with me and then it was me the scared one.

Aside from that, sometimes i feel that people are uncomfortable with me,even if im feeling comfortable with them.

nafadda

Scared??? not sure..intimidated?? ,yes most defiantly ..and part of that is because they can ususally tell I just don't care what "they" think of me..and I do have a way of looking up at an annoying person that words are not needed..they get the message loud and clear and it simply is saying,'back off and leave me alone':eek:

it comes from being a feral I guess..hehehehehehe;)

YellowBird

i think there's something creepy about me,sometimes i don't even think i look like my own gender,the minute i go outside i feel like i transform into a monster,i think people are afraid of me,but i'm also afraid of them,apart from the typical symptoms,i have this feeling that if i get closer to them they will manipulate me.

YellowBird

I'm terrified of people - but I don't think anyone is as scared of me as I am of them.

i feel that way too..if anyone says something like that out loud i won't even be able to defend myself.

Phoenixx

not always though

i'm generally feeling completely different on the inside than my outward appearance suggests

i try to project an air of calm self-assuredness, when i'm really screaming in panic on the inside

some people may call this "pretending" or "being fake"

others may call it "poise" or "bearing"

i see it as a form of protection
^ Same for me too. Most of the time, I come off as either looking bored, not really caring, and/or laid-back, whereas on the inside I'm so incredibly nervous and panicky.

Very rarely do I get stares from other people. If anything, hardly anyone notices me. I'm pretty sure no one out there is afraid of a 5 foot tall girl who looks like she's about 12. ::p: