Do you really want to overcome SA?

sullyS25

Why are YOU on this site? What do you hope to get out of it? Do you want to change and be comfortable in your skin while in social situations?

I know when I joined this forum that I would have said that without a doubt I wanted to change and overcome my anxiety but looking back on my situation then, that really wasn't true.

Before I went to a psychologist/psychiatrist, I was so desperate to feel a part of something and I was so desperate to find an identity for myself because I felt like I was floating out into an abyss of nothing and could identify with nobody. When I went to the psychologist and they confirmed what I had already convinced myself of, I was honestly pretty happy to hear it because I could blame all my problems on Social Anxiety or Avoidant Personality Disorder. I found an identity, finally! The fact that I was also diagnosed as having clinical depression added to that identity.

So while I wouldn't admit it to most people and would even get mad when they would suggest it, I was attracted to feeling inferior and less than and I was attracted to the identity of being fearful around people because that is who I decided I was and if anyone suggested otherwise I would get angry because they were attacking my sense of self.

Today I realize that the sense of self I had developed for myself was false. It was my ego, plain and simple. I had always thought that people with big egos were always cocky, arrogant and full of themselves. What I have realized though is that it goes the other way too. People with big egos can either think very highly of themselves or very negatively about themselves, it is two sides of the same coin which is the ego, in my opinion. I believe it comes down to always trying to separate oneself from the majority. In the case of cocky and arrogant people, they maintain there sense of separation by claiming they are so much better than every one else. For people like me it was by claiming I was so much worse than everyone else. "Oh well if you think that's pathetic, look at me and my life, Im so much worse off than you are!"

I bring that up because when I would talk to people that would try and show me a different perspective on life or a different way of viewing things I would get pissed and say things like positive thinking is a bunch of pink, fluffy, nonrealistic BS and I would get pissed and say they just didn't understand me. The truth was that they were challenging my false sense of self and who I thought I was by showing me that there are other ways of viewing the world and myself. They were showing me ways to overcome my social anxiety and my inferiority complex but I refused to listen because I didnt want to change and I had so much invested in the identity I had mapped out for myself....."I am Sean S, I am a pathetic, shy loser and anyone that tells me otherwise doesn't understand me." I was so invested in my identity that when someone tried to help I would reject them because I truly didnt want to change.

Today I do want to change and I am open to hearing other peoples opinions and perspectives. Sometimes I still have an investment in that identity but I have changed a lot and I am motivated to continue changing.

SO my question for you is....do you really want to change or do you have a lot invested in your identity of suffering from SA?

Ithior

Why are YOU on this site? What do you hope to get out of it? Do you want to change and be comfortable in your skin while in social situations?

I'm here for two reasons: the first is a few years ago I developed the habit of posting in a forum, but then the forum got very inactive and inappropriate and it just wasn't a good place to be. So when a few months after I left it, I found this one.
Somewhere around that time I found out that I could possibly have avoidant personality disorder, though I only took online tests and read things about the disorder. All I want from this site is a place where I can talk about my problems and have people understand them. The other forum I mentioned couldn't understand what I was going through.

When I went to the psychologist and they confirmed what I had already convinced myself of, I was honestly pretty happy to hear it because I could blame all my problems on Social Anxiety or Avoidant Personality Disorder. I found an identity, finally!

I can somewhat relate to that, after finding out I probably had AvPD I started blaming AvPD for my attitude of letting life passing by in front of me and doing nothing about it ("ofc I can't talk to that girl, I have AvPD... It can't be helped").

SO my question for you is....do you really want to change or do you have a lot invested in your identity of suffering from SA?

I want to change, but I don't think I can do it by myself. That's a problem since no one knows I have this problem, so I have to be the one to reach out. But I always have that little voice in the back of my mind saying "You can't do it, you can't trust people... You have AvPD... Don't worry, someone will eventually reach out and help you. Don't make yourself go through this, just wait and it'll solve itself".

sullyS25

I want to change, but I don't think I can do it by myself. That's a problem since no one knows I have this problem, so I have to be the one to reach out. But I always have that little voice in the back of my mind saying "You can't do it, you can't trust people... You have AvPD... Don't worry, someone will eventually reach out and help you. Don't make yourself go through this, just wait and it'll solve itself".

That voice is the ego and it is full of it. Thats being attached to the identity. I do the same thing myself and it's difficult. One thing I have realized is that I am not my thoughts. With a little bit of work and practice, I can learn to detach myself from them by observing them and letting them pass. I can learn to not let my thoughts have as much power over me.

Ithior

That voice is the ego and it is full of it. Thats being attached to the identity. I do the same thing myself and it's difficult. One thing I have realized is that I am not my thoughts. With a little bit of work and practice, I can learn to detach myself from them by observing them and letting them pass. I can learn to not let my thoughts have as much power over me.

I had already realised my problem wasn't the personality disorder itself, but rather my attitude towards it. Still, my problem is that I don't know how I can get out of this, what steps I need to follow to improve. Advice like "be positive! be yourself!" and all that doesn't work for me because it's too vague.

sullyS25

I had already realised my problem wasn't the personality disorder itself, but rather my attitude towards it. Still, my problem is that I don't know how I can get out of this, what steps I need to follow to improve. Advice like "be positive! be yourself!" and all that doesn't work for me because it's too vague.

I agree that it's too vague and unrealistic. I recommend reading a book called "the power of now" by Eckhart Tolle. It helped me. It's all about taking action and being proactive ya know?

Ithior

I agree that it's too vague and unrealistic. I recommend reading a book called "the power of now" by Eckhart Tolle. It helped me. It's all about taking action and being proactive ya know?

Does it give you concrete actions to take?

sullyS25

I believe it does. You might not. I know sitting back and being skeptical of everything is NOT a concrete action to take in order to improve

IntheLabyrinth

That book and some Kabat-Zinn books have been sitting on my bookshelf for way too long. I should probably read them too. Being mindful is so much work, and I am so used to being a mindless zombie that I find it very hard to try to live in the moment.

Flanscho

Sure I want to overcome it. It gets better with every year. In my early 20s, I was barely able to talk to people I didn't know. And now, in my early 30s, I go to festivals, birthday parties and whatnot.

sullyS25

That book and some Kabat-Zinn books have been sitting on my bookshelf for way too long. I should probably read them too. Being mindful is so much work, and I am so used to being a mindless zombie that I find it very hard to try to live in the moment.

It is difficult sometimes but that book in particular helped me so much that I wanted to give a copy of it to everyone. BUT obviously it isnt for everyone I guess. It just really helped me and I couldn't put it down when I first read it.

Lemons

I don't think I will ever overcome SA, it's pretty much ingrained in who I am. I just want to be able to be content with myself somehow.

hexagon_sun

Can I want something that I do not think is possible?

You, and perhaps many of us, may never COMPLETELY overcome SA or whatever real or imagined malidy we have, but if you can learn how to, say, use a computer to communicate with people on a chat forum, than you more than likely have the learning capacity to acquire skills to manage the disorder, and thereby living a relatively happier and more productive life.

It's not a question of if you can improve your life, it's a matter of tuning out the negative influences that surrounding us telling us we suck all the time! Change happens slowly.... Because of that, people sometimes do not perceive anything is happening. Especially if your not int the habit of charting your progress along the way. If you're not aware that change has occurred in the first place, naturely, you will get discouraged.

Life is not a race... Just because you think you're not as quick witted or as quick a study as the guy next to you, doesn't mean you need to throw in the towel! Often, that is merely your perception based on a few bad experiences anyway!

I like to use the pyramid vs. skyscraper analogy. A skyscraper is a good physical representation of achievement on the fast track. It takes less time and resource to achieve the heights these structures reach compared to pyramids, but they are guaranteed not to last as long. Why is that? Because of their foundation or base. It is narrow, and the center of gravity is too high. They lack substance.

A pyramid in contrast, takes a long time to build; the majority of the labor at it's base; but as you progress higher, it becomes quicker and easier to construct until you reach the top. Though, it initially took longer to build, it got easier as you progressed, and you can be assured that it will be a structure that will stand the test of time.

Just because the rest of the world is dysfunctional, doesn't mean you have to be. listening to that voice inside your head telling you when something isn't right does not make you less of a man or women, a dweeb, geek, spaz, weirdo, scitzo, flake, a conspiracy nut, Alex Jones or David Icke!

People who tell you your gut cannot be trusted, you want to stay as far away from as possible! You don't need to stand for this bull**** anymore!

SilentBird

Thanks hexagon sun for the very thoughtful reply. Your point that one can learn to use a computer and communicate via a forum was especially pertinent. Yes, I am able to communicate, if I give myself the chance. I forget to believe in myself.

Lamb

I do want to change, and I think for once I'm taking the appropriate steps to do so. It's a slow process albeit I've noticed a difference in my thought patterns because I'm more aware of their existence. Slowly reading through the Power of Now to make sure I fully absorb the content.

Sully, have you taken medication at any point for anxiety, or a lack of focus and did you find it to be beneficial in addition to therapy?

Last edited:

pinksuede

Yes, I really want to overcome my SA, but...and there always seems to be one, I think it is my identity also. It's hard to say how things would have turned out for me if I hadn't developed OCD when I was 24 in addition to the SA. Maybe I would have had a better chance of recovering. Now I have many excuses as to why I can't do certain things. However, I know that the only way to change is to be willing to leave your comfort zone. I pray to God that I have the strength to do that freely one day.

sullyS25

I do want to change, and I think for once I'm taking the appropriate steps to do so. It's a slow process albeit I've noticed a difference in my thought patterns because I'm more aware of their existence. Slowly reading through the Power of Now to make sure I fully absorb the content.

Sully, have you taken medication at any point for anxiety, or a lack of focus and did you find it to be beneficial in addition to therapy?

Well, I used to take SSRI's and I didn't notice any benefits but at the time I was a daily alcohol drinker and alcohol nulls the effects of anti-depressants. I also took benzos for anxiety and they made me feel completely normal BUT and i want to emphasize the BUT....they are very addictive and can have some very adverse effects.

I personally think modern medicine can offer people benefits, especially if they are paralyzed by their fear but I personally am trying to take the all natural, face it without any help route....which is difficult as hell but I think it will be more permanent in the end...and I wont be a slave to a pill.