Do you judge women based on how they're dressed?

NathanielWingatePeaslee

Iä! Iä! Cthulhu fhtagn!
Staff member
You may have seen this photo before around the interwebs:

tumblr_mg6lkmN0Iz1r7qnjjo1_500.jpg

It's from a girl's tumblr about judgements. rosea posey

I'd thought about posting this earlier to get input from the spw peeps, but decided against it. Until a friend of mine posted this:

644259_10151399653555155_945471723_n.jpg

And she commented on how sad it was. I wasn't so sure. The women in the bottom picture are receiving some sort of higher education, and the calculators imply it's in math or science. I've seen worse examples of oppression.

A lot of Islamic women cover themselves because they see it as being a good Muslim, not because they're oppressed. One could argue that the religion is oppressive of women to begin and/or brainwashing, but that's beside the point here. I personally believe in the right to religious freedom, however much I disagree with it.

Of course at the opposite end of the...leg, there's the 'whore' label. Do you think a girl in a short skirt is the sort to sleep around? Is she looking for action?

Do you make assumptions about a girl's morals or intentions based on how much she's showing? Even a little bit?

:thinking:

WishingICould

Well, if i'm honest, i have looked at girls before and thought they looked a bit easy by what they wore. I'm not a prude but some girls wear hardly any clothes and i think it makes them look cheap. I'm not saying girls who wear short skirts sleep around but i'd be lying if i said i hadn't judged someone based on what they wore.

dmsteyn

I think some clothes are more appropriate to certain situations, but I really try not to judge based on appearances. If I'm honest, I probably have in the past, but I hate the idea that, for instance, a woman's clothing can lead to rape, etc.

ImNotMyIllness

I won't even go into the mind control that some religions use to dominate women. I know a certain sect (from your picture) loves to boast on how much they honor and respect women.

Let's make one thing CLEAR! If you respect women, if you honor women, then you honor her choices. You respect the barmaid, the prostitute, the dancer etc. It's not contingent on your masochistic views. Period! That's respect.

P.S The women in the bottom picture don't have a choice.

Freedom of religion, but more importantly, FREEDOM FROM RELIGION.

NathanielWingatePeaslee

Iä! Iä! Cthulhu fhtagn!
Staff member
I won't even go into the mind control that some religions use to dominate women. I know a certain sect (from your picture) loves to boast on how much they honor and respect women.

Let's make one thing CLEAR! If you respect women, if you honor women, then you honor her choices. You respect the barmaid, the prostitute, the dancer etc. It's not contingent on your masochistic views. Period! That's respect.

P.S The women in the bottom picture don't have a choice.

Freedom of religion, but more importantly, FREEDOM FROM RELIGION.
As I said, whether the religion itself is used to oppress women is beside the point here. It's true that some women are not given a choice of their religion--I don't honestly know if that's true in Somalia. Maybe they're not, given a lot of the dreadful things I've heard.

Not the issue I'm trying to address, though.

What do you mean by masochistic views, anyway?

FallenFeathers

I think some clothes are more appropriate to certain situations, but I really try not to judge based on appearances. If I'm honest, I probably have in the past, but I hate the idea that, for instance, a woman's clothing can lead to rape, etc.

This. I remember a young girl was raped after she walked home from clubbing one night. I was talking to this taxi driver about it, an he basically had this attitude that they not deserve it but ask for it by dressing In a certain way.

That just blew my mind, like how can you even make that leap of logic? Is it some sort of self defense these guys have... is it easier for them to deal with it by thinking that, or do they really think girls "ask" for it >.< I don't even.

this_portrait

I've seen that skirt picture before. I used to judge, but not anymore. I personally wear most of my skirts at the "cheeky" level, and one of them goes to the "provocative" level as well, I believe.

As for the women with head coverings, not all of them have educational opportunities, and if they do, it's not without a struggle. Case in point:

Malala-Yousafzai-Not-in-Danger-Now-News-Update.jpg

dmsteyn

I'm South African, and we have one of the highest rates of rape in the world. This excuse is really wearing thin...

coyote

i'll admit that on many occasions i have judged women based on how they're dressed

but i wasn't making a judgment about their sexual behavior or morality

i was making a judgment about their fashion sense

i feel absolutely awful about this

NathanielWingatePeaslee

Iä! Iä! Cthulhu fhtagn!
Staff member
As for the women with head coverings, not all of them have educational opportunities, and if they do, it's not without a struggle. Case in point:
Yep. That situation fills me with anger and revulsion. I don't see it changing anytime soon, but I'd like to think it will change eventually. Sure pissed a lot of people off, that incident.

FallenFeathers

I'm South African, and we have one of the highest rates of rape in the world. This excuse is really wearing thin...

:sad:

I remember all the controversy about some sort of rape protection device, did that ever take off?

Apologies for taking this thread slightly off topic btw.

jaim38

I try hard not to judge, but I admit I sometimes do, consciously or unconsciously. I've had people judge me for what I wear and it hurts.

It doesn't matter what a woman wears, it doesn't justify rape. Even if a woman wears nothing at all, it doesn't give a man the right to rape her.
Some animal activists go naked as a part of their campaign against eating meat.

coyote

I think anyone who says that they've never judged a woman/girl by how they're dressed are liars. :rolleyes:

well i can honestly say that i've never looked at a woman wearing a short skirt or revealing top and thought, "oh, she must like to fornicate if she dresses like that."

i've also never looked at woman buttoned up in a long skirt and baggy cardigan and assumed, "she must be a virgin if she wears such things."

but i will admit that i've often thought something along the lines of, "wow, what was she thinking? that outfit isn't flattering at all." or, "that blouse doesn't go with that skirt - who taught her how to dress?"

WishingICould

well i can honestly say that i've never looked at a woman wearing a short skirt or revealing top and thought, "oh, she must like to fornicate if she dresses like that."

i've also never looked at woman buttoned up in a long skirt and baggy cardigan and assumed, "she must be a virgin if she wears such things."

but i will admit that i've often thought something along the lines of, "wow, what was she thinking? that outfit isn't flattering at all." or, "that blouse doesn't go with that skirt - who taught her how to dress?"

Is that not judging?

NathanielWingatePeaslee

Iä! Iä! Cthulhu fhtagn!
Staff member
I can honestly say I've thought "boy, I sure hope that short skirt and revealing top mean she likes to fornicate!". Not quite the same thing though.

:question:

I'm of the opinion that general clothing that could be considered 'sexy' is okay, but only when that sex appeal is required/desired.

I'm as annoyed by a too short skirts/too much skin/too much cleavage as I am by a guy whom wears a skin tight pair of pants that reveals just a bit more then one would consider appropriate.

I wouldn't make a judgement on the person as a person, but I would make a judgement on this person's judgement. The line between 'pretty' and 'sexy' has faded a bit too much I feel.