Do you have severe phone anxiety?

If I have to answer phones at work I wouldn't mind, because I probably know exactly what to say, I've been there before. But for anything else I seem to have a problem with talking on the phone, I avoid it at all costs.

Entangled

I can answer phones and texts with no problem, but initiating a phone call or text..... that's scary stuff :sad:

lilmutegirl

I hate talking on the phone! I always have...
I like having caller ID so that I know who is calling so that I can prepare myself to answer or call back eventually...if I don't recognize the number, I Google it so I know who I am calling back (if I even do). Normally, I don't call back if it is not someone I know personally. I also hate calling for appointments and such. Currently, I need to call the dentist and doctor, but have been avoiding it...

Acegame

I used to have this but i kinda grew over it. But what i hated more was being overheard by people around me. I only picked up my phone when i knew no one heard me.

That was kind of a problem at my first job when i had to answer my phone and others phones when my coworkers were in the same room. But because i was forced to pick it up I got used to it and at some point i really didn't care anymore.

Also there was a girl at my work who had it severely in the beginning too. She had it very bad. She almost went mute and started hyperventilating. But everyone supported her and tried to encourage her to pick up the phone more often. And a couple weeks/months later she sounded like a natural on the phone. Like you couldn't tell she ever had a problem with it. Remarkable.

That kind of made me realise that its alright and many people have this fear. People can relate to it and they will not judge you on it. And to be honest, seeing that girl struggle made me like her more...

I think that if you had to call 1000 people in one day, with people sitting around you, at the end of the day your fear would be gone. If you get a couple nice conversations going it will make you more confident and little by little you'll get over it and see that its not a big deal. It's just when you avoid it, it becomes a big deal in your mind and makes it even harder. I sometimes have a few conversations on the phone that don't really go very smooth and feel a bit awkward, but that happens to everyone.

Graeme1988

Hie yer hence from me heath!
Am the same. Oh, Gawd! Awfy phone anxiety. Ah hate makin' phone calls because ah already know ah sound like an eejit

My initial thought: "Whit wuz ah gonnae say, again? :confused: Aw fu...!"
Then: "Eh, hullo..." (Thus begin a hopefully short, yet awkward phone conversation wi' me stutterin' like total eejit)

Even if it's somebuddy ah know ah'll rarely answer the call, jist wait fur them tae hing up & text me a message.

LittleGloves

I just got a call from the college which I applied and she asked me some questions. I totally blank out and I lied about some of the things she asked me. I don't know if I have said the correct things or not. Now I don't know if I will get accepted or not. My hands is literally shaking right now. :crying:

Lavinialuna

I just got a call from the college which I applied and she asked me some questions. I totally blank out and I lied about some of the things she asked me. I don't know if I have said the correct things or not. Now I don't know if I will get accepted or not. My hands is literally shaking right now. :crying:

How big were these lies?

Insanewoman389

I have the same problem, it's so bad my mom pretty makes all my doctor appointments and any other appointments for me cause I just get so nervous that I can't do it. I worry that I won't have all the information I need and the person will get irritated and angry and that just scares the crap out of me, I only make phone calls if I ABSOLUTELY have to and when I do I make sure I have everything I need like my Social and other information I might need and I also go over what the conversation will be like. I really really hate making phone and I also put a lot of time and thought in to what I'm going to say in a text.