Do you have a positive attitude

KiaKaha

Banned
I have noticed a lot of users on here who suffer from Social anxiety come across as quite happy go lucky and fun.

Unfortunately I am not one of those, I am actually quite irritable and unhappy, which I try to control or hide, but dont seem to do the job very well...which I realize is quite off putting to a lot of people.

ANYWAY..

Just wondering, if most people who suffer from shyness/social anxiety have a fairly positive attitude towards life in general and other people? If so...how do you do it? I have a hard time not resenting people as I always feel like people cant stand me due my social ineptness and awkward demeanor.... (I could never articulate something like this in real life btw..)

Lorraine Manca

that positive attitude idea has always driven me up the wall. it makes no sense!!!!!!!

did you hear fred had a heart attack last week?

yes i heard that, but hes got a great golf swing

it doesnt make sense! there are both positive and negative occurences in the world, therefore the sane reaction is to be sad about sad stuff and happy about happy stuff. im sorry for the rant, but the positive attitude theory drives me nuts. so many people suggest it and yet it defys common sense. there's no bright side to hitler. dont worry about it kiwi, just be true to what you think is right, unless it really helps you to put a positive spin on things

Ritta

I wouldn't consider myself a positive person, but I guess I'm not 100% negative. I used to be though. A few years ago, nothing matter, the world was against me, life was hell etc etc. Like someone said already. Be true to your feelings. It's best to let it all out than keeping it all in. It gets worse if you do. Not sure if this will work for anyone here, but after a few hours or days or weeks of dealing with whatever you're dealing, there comes a time when you want to find a solution (if there's one) or at least hear the opinion of other people on the subject. I'm sure you just hate it when someone says "I know how you feel". Which is really untrue. Nobody knows how you feel except you. But one thing we do is we understand. And we're here to listen :) So vent all you want, be something really upsetting, sad, or depressing. That's what support is all about. Hope this helps. ::eek::

that positive attitude idea has always driven me up the wall. it makes no sense!!!!!!!

did you hear fred had a heart attack last week?

yes i heard that, but hes got a great golf swing

it doesnt make sense! there are both positive and negative occurences in the world, therefore the sane reaction is to be sad about sad stuff and happy about happy stuff. im sorry for the rant, but the positive attitude theory drives me nuts. so many people suggest it and yet it defys common sense. there's no bright side to hitler.

I wholeheartedly agree. Positivity is never able to stand on its own two feet. My negative outlook is congruent with this world on fire!

lonely_drummer

I try to keep positive as much as I can but when things go wrong far too many times, its pretty hard not to avoid negativity. I always figure, if you're in a position where you have absolute no control over, no point on worrying about it, its gonna happen with or without action. Just let it slide on by, but thats always easier said than done.

bigrob

Actually my attitude is typically neutral. One of the perks of being a schizoid! Things aren't good or bad, they just are.

But my attitude has changed since getting married. My wife is quite negative, thus it makes it hard on me. Being that I am basically reclusive atm and she is just about the only person I communicate with regularly, her constant complaining wore on me. It put me into similar negative thought patterns.

I have come to realize this and I'm taking steps to change that thinking, so I can return to my neutrality and logic as opposed to her programmed emotionally charged rantings.

I wish I could even her out...I tried once...it lasted a week.

Emotions confuse me. :confused:

U

userremoved

Well I'm certainly no optimist. I tend to put on a mask when dealing with people I don't know well though. Mainly because I know how turned off people are to my natural attitude.

Tiercel

I don't know that I'm necessarily happy-go-lucky and fun. I figure my life sucks, and mankind is destroying the world, but at least I can laugh about it.

I tried the whole gloom and doom thing for a few years, and all it did was make me feel like crap. So I changed my attitude, and I still feel crappy a lot of the time. But at least I laugh more than I used to. My attempts at humor don't even get me into as much trouble as they used to, either. Maybe I've just learned to control myself, though.

My life still sucks, and mankind is still destroying our world. But at least I'll die with a smile on my face, I guess.

:D

Lea

Banned
I don't know if I come across as negative. Depressive and worn out maybe, but otherwise I don't think I am negative in the sense I was mean. I think I am rather nice and understanding to people, same goes for others of you who say you're negative.

jhanniffy

I am a pretty positive person. I have my bad days like us all, I feel crap most of the time but I am always happy go lucky and smiley on the outside, always!!! I try to see the good in the world and the bad angers me!

mrb

im positive now but a lot of my life has been spent feeling negative , guess iv just mellowed now im older , im happier with life now , i enjoy life , but i wasnt always like that ..

Masychefx2

Banned
i pretened to be positive laughing at peoples jokes when i dont find it funny or trying to relate to people even though i dont like what they do ill pretend to... like i was talking to this guy about cod4 2 and he said yeh man we should play and then he said u got it on XBOX i was like sht man u cant play cod on xbox its pc A:HLF?NL>FHALFHLHFA

Danedo

it is very easy for me to fall into a trap of being 'realistic' and just thinking negatively.

Amusingly, the reality is having a 'realistic' mindset simply makes life miserable, both for yourself and others.

I once thought to myself, "I'd rather know the truth than be happy and ignorant".

Turns out part of the truth is realizing you are dead, realizing your existence is somewhat small, and having it free you, instead of shackling you.

Unfortunately, it is very, very hard, impossible even, to 'think' yourself out of negative emotions.

In short, I personally feel freer not because I thought about life and came up with what I said above, but because I am taking medication.

Ahh well, as someone said, better to die with a smile on my face then a frown.

lyricalliaisons

I am pretty pessimistic, I guess. I used to be very optimistic. Especially when I first started receiving help (almost three years ago) & it seemed like things would go well. But I've gotten worse, if anything. I certainly haven't made any great progress. The only progress I've made in a year & a half is that now I'm able to go to the movie theater. & go to it alone. Both of those things were too hard before. But it's still nothing compared to what I should be doing & I feel like a complete failure at life.

When it comes to others, I'm not resentful. I'm very rarely jealous or angry at them. The only time I get angry is when they start preaching to me about what I need to do with my life & tell me to just "put myself out there," as if it's that simple.

I come across as aloof & withdrawn (because I am). & when people talk to me, I sometimes seem rude because I ignore them because I'm too afraid & don't know what to say back.