do you have a medication horror story?

Does anyone else have one? Mine: I used to take klonapin, 4 mg a day. But I would take like 2 a day and save the rest in a little bottle hidden away...and then when I had something like a date or job interview I would take 11. I did it for five years but one day told my psychiatrist about it and how to go to the hospital to detox. It was the worst/hardest thing I've ever done! Omg. It's hard to describe. Someone told me that getting off of benzos is harder than getting off of heroin! At one point, my entire body got that feeling your arm gets when it starts to fall asleep then is waking up. It felt awful to do anything: lie down, walk, get dressed, eat. Has that ever happened to anyone else? Other things were I felt like I was on a really bad acid trip, vision so blurred I couldn't see straight, the worse anxiety I've ever felt in my life, killer head aches, depression. The worst lasted for about 10 days but over all it lasted about 7 or 8 weeks. Who else went through this? Doesn't it suck?

zlench

Like five years ago took to much of something it's the after effects which are the killer.

matthew_

I don't have an immediate horror story - however taking effexor changed me. It made my social phobia a WHOLE lot better, however it also made me less creative, my memory was terrible, and I never felt like the person I was.

Being someone who want's to make a career out of creative thought processes, I had to get off. It's a shame, because it literally made me achieve so many things on a social level that would have been impossible otherwise.

Now I am attempting to do it the hard way, off soul-changing drugs. Thank god it never permanently affected me.

EscapeArtist

Wow!! Full body feeling of a 'numb waking up' that would be dreadful!! What a horrible experience that must have been. It really highlights the REAL effects of these drugs.

Horror story, Prozac! I had it prescribed about 2 years ago. I didn't notice any difference, except at first a slight 'zombie' feeling to the world and a sudden loss of appetite (the weight loss was nice). But then I began to get horribly suicidal. I didn't WANT to die, my head didn't want to die but my body wanted to kill me! My head and my body were different people, one a murderer. I had to call a friend over at one point, late in the night, because I thought it would happen. It was hard to explain, it's like something was guiding my body to kill myself, like I was under a spell. I started getting scary around my younger sister, telling her I'd kill myself if she did this or that. After I got off that ****, the feeling went away immediately. I looked up negative prozac stories, and I found one where there was a 30 year old business man who was put on prozac. The last thing he had said about prozac was that "His head and his body were different people" and that one wanted to kill him. He said this before he committed suicide!

Another time, I wasn't exactly prescribed it but I was taking oxycontin and vicodin for anxiety/depression reasons. I was using it every day for 2-3 months, and the withdrawal was the most horrible thing I have been through!

Last edited:

dyingtolive

@Matthew, i tried my share of the mood drugs 5 years ago or so.. but they never really seemed to affect my mood in a way that 'i could tell'.. i wouldn't mind that actually.. maybe the hard part is u have to be ON or OFF it, u cant just take it on a day to day decision basis.

@ Girl Anachro, I LOVED the downers. Ughhh man, drool. I used to really Abuse em. Lol. But i never had those effects that you had. Those are weird. I don't think its something that happens to all peeps. ? Maybe even rare? i don't know. Havnt had effects that lasted more than a day or two, usually just sluggishness.

Although the longterm effects of substance abuse and bingeing probably has affected me bad.

dyingtolive

Escape, that story just gave me goosebumps..

and its straight out of a horror novel/movie.. and no B movie, that would make a real awesome plot too. The head and body separating thing is pretty dark and creepy and EVIL :eek:

matthew_

@dyingtolive

Effexor only really works once you keep taking it at the same time, every single day for a solid few weeks. And it's hugely effective, at least for me. But it's also changing.

Some people don't mind, the pros outweigh the cons. But I need to be myself, problems and all.

pakistan

gagged on booze once..no air was going into lungs for about a min or so..i was glad for a few secs thats its ending...but alas all in vain..i coughed more and finally breathed in a deep sigh

Bittersweet

I took Paxil at the end of '99 for depression. Had a severe adverse reaction that landed me in the hospital. The docs put me on a myriad of drugs over a period of 6 months. They also caused severe reactions. Eventually I developed tardive dyskinesia, which is permanent neurological damage as a result of such drugs. It's been over 10 years, and I'm still unable to work as a result.

decadeOfSA

Does anyone else have one? Mine: I used to take klonapin, 4 mg a day. But I would take like 2 a day and save the rest in a little bottle hidden away...and then when I had something like a date or job interview I would take 11. I did it for five years but one day told my psychiatrist about it and how to go to the hospital to detox. It was the worst/hardest thing I've ever done! Omg. It's hard to describe. Someone told me that getting off of benzos is harder than getting off of heroin! At one point, my entire body got that feeling your arm gets when it starts to fall asleep then is waking up. It felt awful to do anything: lie down, walk, get dressed, eat. Has that ever happened to anyone else? Other things were I felt like I was on a really bad acid trip, vision so blurred I couldn't see straight, the worse anxiety I've ever felt in my life, killer head aches, depression. The worst lasted for about 10 days but over all it lasted about 7 or 8 weeks. Who else went through this? Doesn't it suck?

I'm tapering of on my own via water titration (grinding up the drug in water and tossing out 2 ml more of drug water each day). I'm doing it very slowly too, so the withdrawal is not as bad. I started at 3 mg Xanax XR and 2 mg Klonopin/day about 2 years ago and still have 1.5 mg Klonopin to go.

If you go to a hospital or have a doctor guide your through it, they usually taper you off too fast and that's why the withdrawal is hell and then you are more likely to have protracted withdrawal (withdrawal symptoms that continue on months to years after you stopped taking benzos). This happens because benzos change the chemistry of your brain and you have to let it slowly heal back.

So yeah, it's been a horror story for me, because benzos made me anxiety worse and then I ran into tolerance, dependence, rebound anxiety, rebound insomnia, etc. Stay away from benzos.

Oh yeah, my anxiety got severe while on Buspar and then I was introduced to benzos and got into the addictive cycle. Whether the Buspar made my anxiety severe or it got severe on it's on is the question. I've heard other people say Buspar made their anxiety worse too though.

Last edited:

upndwn

Last year my doctor gave me Wellbutrin (Bupropion) even though he knew I was Bipolar. As a result I started to hallucinate and got paranoid about aliens a ghosts haunting me. I almost went psychotic, but luckily my new doctor instantly took me off it when he heard that I had been given it, and proscribed me Lamictal instead which is much better for my Bipolar disorder.

Tiercel

I tried Paxil as a teenager, and every time it got to a certain dosage (maybe 40mg?) I'd develop a very short and violent temper. Like all-I-could-do-to-maintain-some-sort-of-control-over-my-actions anger. Ever since I've been terrified of ever feeling that angry again. The thing that stands out the most is feeling the blood squirting up through my carotid arteries harder than I thought was possible. It felt like there was a garden hose on full blast going up each side of my neck.

Hopefully I'll never feel that again.

lostfocus

Ya all the pysch meds are no good they put me on a few diff. ones and they all cause me to hallucinate and forget who i am, my birthdate and everything. Their all no good. I havn''t been the same since, not able to work assosiate with people or keep a daily routine like i used to bs if you ask me and they still insist putting me on this ****. I take klonopin and xanax when i go out or if im to miserable those are the only things thats seem to help the bad side about those are that they have a bad withdrawl and are addictive. ****ty