Do you get conned by salesmen easily?

worrywort

ergh, I just bought a new monitor and I'm feeling really crap cause I think I just got swindled into a bad deal....I've ended up with a display model! :confused: 15% off but I'm wondering how long it's gonna last for! ::(:

I find that when I have plenty of time to think about my decision I'm fine, and I can go into a store and stay firm with my original choice and just buy it and get out of there! But as soon as there are any complications and I'm forced to make quick decisions on the spot I find it really hard to make wise choices.

anyone else have trouble with salesmen?

I usually look online first, choose what I want to buy, then search for a store to buy it in (also online). That way I won't have to deal with sales people at all. Easy in, easy out.

But yeah, if I were to go into the store without knowing what I wanted, I'd probably be scammed too. :/

zav943

I used to be really gullible, but that all changed. I'm not necessarily "wily" now, just a lot more paranoid, and a lot more distrustful. If I feel I'm getting a bad deal I'll just walk away without saying a word.

mrb

dude chill monitors last forever , its the tower that breaks down never the monitor ;)

Ignace

U still have 2 years of warranty, right ? For tv's or monitors it doesn't matter actually, those things live like 10 years or so most of the time. Nobody is scratching or pushing a monitor in the shop, I think. But things you need to push buttons or something, like microwaves, receivers, mobiles, ..you could best buy new. Who knows what other people do with it.(Pushing buttons for a million times, pushing too hard,..) Anyway, don't trust salesmen. When my me and me dad went buying his laptop, the salesguy said that his choice were out of stock, and he recommend a more expensive one. So my dad bought that one. Once outside the shop before getting in the car, he was doubting. I could easily take a cheaper one. So there we went back inside. Another salesman comes to us and we said we wanted to trade and we told our choice was out of stock. Guess what, the guy went checking and there were 3 laptops in stock, so the other guy was just trying to sell a more expensive one. I guess they all try to, but then it's just a race to sell, not to serve the customer. We had our laptop and had a refund of ~€280.:D

SilentStranger

Same here. I get feel so much pressure from sales people. I am still trying to off load that perfume that I bough even though I should have gone for the one that I was going for originally.

Anybody wanna buy some perfume ? :)

worrywort

I usually look online first, choose what I want to buy, then search for a store to buy it in (also online). That way I won't have to deal with sales people at all. Easy in, easy out.
TryAgain said:
This is something I don’t have a problem with. I look for things online (the stores I go to have their items listed, described with all the technical information, and priced on their website). When I make my decision I just go to the store and buy what I want, only having to deal with the cashier. No pressure.
Yea, thats what I did, but then they had some even better offers when I got to the store, so I got one of those, then the guy tried to sell me insurance and I declined and he seemed quite angry about it! Then I noticed he hadn't knocked the discount off, so I had to go back, then they said it only applied to the display model and before I could think about it they were already unplugging the thing from the display and they had the whole team running around all flustered looking for wires and paperwork and I probably should've asked them to let me think about it for a sec, but, well, I chickened out I guess! ::(:

Ignace said:
U still have 2 years of warranty, right ? For tv's or monitors it doesn't matter actually, those things live like 10 years or so most of the time.
dude chill monitors last forever , its the tower that breaks down never the monitor
1 year warranty, and yea you're probably right. I'm worrying over nothing really! I guess it's not so much the monitor, it's more to do with the feeling of not being able to think straight or stand up for myself in those types of situations that worries me. I guess I still need more work in that department! :rolleyes:

NathanielWingatePeaslee

Iä! Iä! Cthulhu fhtagn!
Staff member
I have no problem at all with my critical thinking skills.

Also, any attempt by a sales person to use pressure tactics or otherwise manipulate me immediately raises my defenses and pisses me off besides.

I think this is because I see it as an attack, and I can deal with being attacked.

If the situation is less clear, it's more difficult for me to deal with. If I go to the grocery store, the most stressful part for me is dealing with the free sample people. They aren't trying to sell me stuff or lie to me, but they want to talk and interact, and want me to try things. I can't even just ignore them because I'll feel like a dick and be totally self conscious of walking past them again. Aaaahhh.

Last edited:

Sinar_Matahari

If the situation is less clear, it's more difficult for me to deal with. If I go to the grocery store, the most stressful part for me is dealing with the free sample people. They aren't trying to sell me stuff or lie to me, but they want to talk and interact, and want me to try things. I can't even just ignore them because I'll feel like a dick and be totally self conscious of walking past them again. Aaaahhh.

I used to feel the exact same way. They're probably used to people ignoring them. You're definitely not the first or last and I don't think they'll be hurt if you just walk past and ignore them. That is unless they're unprofessional. I've had a free sample lady give me a dirty look when I refused her ice cream sample at the grocery store. I smiled politely, said, "No, thanks" and gestured with my hand and I think that the hand gesture may have seemed dismissive and she got butt-hurt about it. I was as polite and friendly as possible so if she's going to percieve my behavior as offensive and mean mug me then that's her problem.

Lea

Banned
I listen to them perhaps, but would be too mistrustful to buy it straight away, I'd have to check it online first.

agoraphobickatie

i usually ignore them or 'shoo' them away quickly by being like "i'm just looking right now, thanks" or getting on my phone and acting like i'm busy, ha...

coyote

We're not all trying to take advantage of you.

When people come into my store, and I say, "Hi, how are you?" It's because I'm trying to be friendly and pleasant.

When I check to see if there's anything you're looking for or if your'e finding everything alright, it's because I'm genuinely trying to offer my assistance.

Sometimes people need help shopping - that's what I'm there for.

I will never pressure you to buy anything.

I just want to create a frendly, helpful shopping experience for you.

The merchandise pretty much sells itself, but I can offer you some information that may help you decide if you want to buy it.

Whenever I say something simple like, "Hi, how are you doing?" and the immediate response is a curt, "I'm just looking!!" I just have to shake my head.

We sold over $10,000 worth of clothing in our litle shop yesterday - most of it on sale for 1/2 price - and no one was pressured to by a thing.

Thanks for listening.

agoraphobickatie

^^ that kind of sales help is what i enjoy, people who are just friendly and give me my space.... it's the ones who continuously ask if i need help and follow me that annoy me... sometimes they'll just start talking about cute outfits i could buy, etc etc. and i'm just like "uh.. i'm a pretty experienced shopper, i think i got it..." lol

NathanielWingatePeaslee

Iä! Iä! Cthulhu fhtagn!
Staff member
We're not all trying to take advantage of you.

When people come into my store, and I say, "Hi, how are you?" It's because I'm trying to be friendly and pleasant.

When I check to see if there's anything you're looking for or if your'e finding everything alright, it's because I'm genuinely trying to offer my assistance.

Sometimes people need help shopping - that's what I'm there for.

I will never pressure you to buy anything.

I just want to create a frendly, helpful shopping experience for you.

The merchandise pretty much sells itself, but I can offer you some information that may help you decide if you want to buy it.

Whenever I say something simple like, "Hi, how are you doing?" and the immediate response is a curt, "I'm just looking!!" I just have to shake my head.

We sold over $10,000 worth of clothing in our litle shop yesterday - most of it on sale for 1/2 price - and no one was pressured to by a thing.

Thanks for listening.
Anytime I'm ever approached by a sales person, no matter how nice they are, my response is invariably 'I'm just looking', accompanied by all the body language I can manage indicating I want to be left alone. It's one of my scripted responses.

I do try to say it nicely though. It's important to me to at least attempt to be nice to people in customer service. Especially if they're involved with my food. Even at a drive through I make sure to say a please and thank you.

coyote

I often have customers tell me what a "great salesman" I am, when I don't really feel like I've been trying to sell them at all - just being friendly, having fun, offering my opinion, pointing out what a great deal they're getting, etc.

I really despise pressure sales.

I'm against the whole "consumer culture" in general, and I especially despise most commercial advertising which is primarily geared towards making you feel like you are inadequate unless you buy BRAND X. That's why I don't watch TV and block all the ads on my internet browser.