Do you find yourself 'acting' in front of other people?

Do you find yourself 'acting' in front of other people

• Yes, all the time

Votes: 71 42.3%
  • Often

Votes: 49 29.2%
  • Every now and then/Rarely

Votes: 30 17.9%
  • Never

Votes: 18 10.7%

• Total voters

Snowdrop

Just wondering if anyone else pretends to have fun and laugh in front of others when they feel the opposite and anxious inside, and if so, how often? I do it almost all the time :/

evernight

Yeah, I do this. If I don't know or I am not comfortable enough around the person(s) I'll try to talk or make jokes to make them comfortable so they don't think I'm weird. I tend to agree with them about things or like things they like even if I don't.:confused:

Kato

Many professional actor are shy. I guess it comes with the territory to act the part of a socially confident person if you wish to fit in with society. I have developed a good acting ability to fit in well. In fact I had to do it a lot today with customers. I am exhausted from it now and just wish to be alone with my thoughts for the night.

KiaKaha

Banned
Sometimes...it depends on how I am feeling... often i just cant be bothered pretending to act and conform to a certain way when I am not feeling that way on the inside. Its such a game being around people, feeling like you have to behave a certain way just to "fit in". Personally I prefer people who are exhibit honesty with their feelings... I cant stand people who are fake and pretend to be something they are not just for acceptance... give me a break..

da_illest101

yea i do laugh at other's joke when i don't find it funny, or pretend i understood what they said when i was day dreaming. I keep my personality but just more shy and less depressed

Snowdrop

Sometimes...it depends on how I am feeling... often i just cant be bothered pretending to act and conform to a certain way when I am not feeling that way on the inside. Its such a game being around people, feeling like you have to behave a certain way just to "fit in". Personally I prefer people who are exhibit honesty with their feelings... I cant stand people who are fake and pretend to be something they are not just for acceptance... give me a break..

I hate it too, and I guess in a way that's how low self esteem comes about. You act even though you know it's wrong because it's become instinct to you and you find it harder and harder to just be yourself. Then you start thinking well why can't I just act like myself? I find it that way a lot of the times...I am struggling with it everyday, but I'm always hopeful to get there in the end.

vj288

not actually Fiona Apple
I inadvertently act in every situations, and I'm always afraid the characters are going to get caught up in a huge contradiction. It's either because I'm trying to avoid certain topics or hide facts about myself (without lying) or I just am actually a different person at times, because I'm not doing it on purpose.

The only reason I might act out of character is due to past circumstances and abuse. Its a defense mechanism and is automatic. That's the frustrating part, I do not consciously choose to do this. Its getting better though. My only way to counter this is to connect very deeply with my true identity. Even though at times it can feel like I am confused as to who I am.

Tiercel

Even though at times it can feel like I am confused as to who I am.

Me, too. Sometimes I feel like some sort of doppelganger (at least the D&D kind). Like I can be anything but my actual self.

As for acting, I occasionally do. Most of the time I'm my usual quiet, withdrawn self. But when people ask me how I'm doing or if I'm having fun, I couldn't be more content. Maybe one day I'll be honest when someone asks how I'm doing, just to see how they react to an overabundance of unwanted information, but I'm usually too worried that s/he will actually care. The thought of a meaningful conversation about myself scares the crap out of me.

Though on the odd occasion that I attend some party in costume, I find it easier to relax and enjoy myself. At a gay pirate party, one acts like a gay pirate. When dressed as a scout trooper on a speeder bike, people expect Star Wars quotes and jokes. But at a family Christmas party there are no costumes. Even with my gaming buddies, we never dress the part. Maybe I should get some ears, some elven chain, and go as my elven ranger one day.

Then again, to them I'm just weird. After that I might be crazy.

:eek:

Kinetik

I sometimes find that my nerves cause me to overact - so instead of coming across as shy, I actually seem to be really talkative, when in fact it's pure adrenaline doing all the talking. That's the odd paradox - if I can keep my nervousness under control, I'm more reserved around people, but if I'm too strung out, it manifests as me running my mouth.

D

deleted user 1

In the past ten years, I can never recall being myself once in front of anybody. Not even my family. The last memory I have of being myself in front of others was in early July 2000. Just before my family moved away. From then on, nothing.

I sometimes find that my nerves cause me to overact - so instead of coming across as shy, I actually seem to be really talkative, when in fact it's pure adrenaline doing all the talking. That's the odd paradox - if I can keep my nervousness under control, I'm more reserved around people, but if I'm too strung out, it manifests as me running my mouth.

Yes I can relate to that. I find myself talking a little too much sometimes to help with my nerves. Sort of as a way to "talk it through". It does help me get through the situation though alot of the time.

Minty

Yeah. Tbh, I'm anxious around everyone. They don't need to know that though. It would be unfair to them and defeat the purpose of hanging out to have fun. I swallow my feelings and try to find the silver-lining in every awkward situation. Sometimes there is one and it's a great day. Most of the time, I'm just happy I survived.

DarkPhoenix

I used to be this way, a complete conformist pushover eager to please whoever im in the presence of. Nowadays i'm working on just being myself which is difficult because people can fester up a negative opinion of you based on the slightest deviation of their own norms.

I still find myself subconsciously altered in something like a group discussion but i try to contribute my own opinions, rather than just acting agreeable. This has made me much more comfortable in my own skin, and feeling far more competent in social situations than conformism ever did.

It is however a necessity be more polite and conscious of my mannerisms when dealing with certain groups of people, such as co-workers, strangers, employers etc.

DespairSoul

Yes i feel sometimes like in theater with my behavior. I feel like actor what have with each person some role.This one likes this then i will act like this,this one like this then i try it say this. I just need positive reactions like wather and sometimes im very surprised of my own words what i say if i dont mean it i just many times dont have my own opinion i claim to be nice and try to just kiss ass only coz of fear being be critized later i feel fake and i hate it fake people,but im like this from fear or is really me im so confused of my self who im. I have feeling that intonace of my voice anyway says that im unsure actually with this what i say and i feel like i lie or like im not saying what i want saying. And sometimes im brutal honest..to much that i look mean coz this is my protection of myself if i get courage.

DespairSoul

Also me i talk to much that i try make me with this little less anxious then i try continue in conversation and playing some one who im not happy smiling girl.I try be very euforia and hide my sadness talk talk talk,but this i cant hold long later my face get anyway very serious i change faces like wetter but mostly i look anxious,despair,unhappy...just not natural..and again talk,talk like some runer what get tired and later upload energy and again talk..and sometimes im so quiet and this make soo nervous i cant hold it then i keep ask question like small child and my concetration on this what they answer is sometimes zero then i anyway dont know what they was saying...like i loose my mind or something..
Then