Do you find yourself 'acting' in front of other people?

Do you find yourself 'acting' in front of other people

• Yes, all the time

Votes: 71 42.3%
  • Often

Votes: 49 29.2%
  • Every now and then/Rarely

Votes: 30 17.9%
  • Never

Votes: 18 10.7%

• Total voters

JamesSmith

This was kind of an awkward question for me to answer. I would think a person with SAD like me can't act in front of people because I don't have the guts to be outgoing. So no, i guess i don't act outgoing ever because I'm too afraid to.

Untamed88

I used to, all the time. Now I have got bored of acting like I am happy being around people and I don't bother anymore.

EscapeArtist

There is never a time when I am not acting. Partly because I still don't know myself so I feel as if I am always acting. But, moreover, in the ways that I do know myself, I cover them 24/7 because the... very odd opinions (to society) that I have would only scare people away. At least people my age

Pretty much always. I'm a very impulsive and non-verbal by nature. Most would label ''me'' as either childish or ''sick'' behavior.

I prefer actions and touch over verbal communication. When I'm forced to talk, I often stumble over words because I find talking a huge detour. ''Thought > Process > Action'' is far faster, simpler and effective then ''Thought > Process > Translate to words > Phrasing > Tone > Talk > Wait for response / repeat''. My verbal skills are sufficient to transfer simple thoughts, but it's always odd sounding and fake (noticeably so).

It's one of the reasons why I'm most comfortable around animals, they're far less anal about such things.

emerald_star733

On here i am 100% myself... in person to strangers ex. cashiers etc.? i am kind, i always smile... but they would have no clue that i have SA... i hide it well.. inside i cannot wait to get home to my own personal privacy and comfort.. but i will not let the outside world know it.. so yes, i definately "act" fine in public... at least on here i can be me... i am free... you all are my family in a sense... we all get one another.. and that is a comfort that i cannot feel in real life except with a select few...

Hellhound

Super Moderator
Rarely, I guess. I don't feel comfortable having to "act". I do hide some things from people I don't know very well, but I don't know if that counts as acting, does it?

WeirdyMcGee

always. My whole life is an act. I'm an actress. That's how it works!

And when someone finally realizes that it's an act, they'll abandon me because I'm a fake and the real me is a boring, sad, horrible person. They will always prefer the fake me that I am for the rest of the world.

JamesSmith

Even if I wanted to act, I don't have the courage to act. When in groups, I'm the guy that sits or stands by himself and doesn't know what to say. Any kind of group situation is awkward and uncomfortable for me. I think the fact that there are so many people acting in society it makes me sick. I understand courteously smiling when someone tries to tell a bad joke, but some people take acting to a whole different level. I hate it when guys try to pretend a woman they are talking to is funny just because they are trying to get laid and win points, the same goes for when a woman does that with a guy. I had a girl do this to me before after I heard one of my friends say she wanted to do stuff with me I noticed that she was laughing at the stuff i was saying that wasn't even funny really. I can't stand how fake that is. I wish people would be honest with their emotions and thoughts. When that girl did that, I didn't see her as a girl I wanted to go out with, I saw a girl who just wanted to have sex with me and didn't care about the real me. I hate how sex is so powerful that people will put on an act to try to flatter someone and pretend they are funny and interesting. I just want people to recognize people for who the person doing the recognizing honestly thinks about the other person. We shouldn't need to pretend to laugh at someone's terrible jokes to have them like us, they should like us for who we really are.

Last edited:

marwan kamel

i am tired and sick of acting infront of people
but if i dont do that i will lose my friends
when i tolb my psychiatrist i dont like acting infront of others
he told me why? it's a good thing u r trying to appear normal infront of people
and he told me that acting may someday turn into reality
i love this forum because its the only place i dont have to act and can be myself