Do you find yourself 'acting' in front of other people?

Do you find yourself 'acting' in front of other people

• Yes, all the time

Votes: 71 42.3%
  • Often

Votes: 49 29.2%
  • Every now and then/Rarely

Votes: 30 17.9%
  • Never

Votes: 18 10.7%

• Total voters
D

deleted user 1

Also me i talk to much that i try make me with this little less anxious then i try continue in conversation and playing some one who im not happy smiling girl.I try be very euforia and hide my sadness talk talk talk,but this i cant hold long later my face get anyway very serious i change faces like wetter but mostly i look anxious,despair,unhappy...just not natural..and again talk,talk like some runer what get tired and later upload energy and again talk..and sometimes im so quiet and this make soo nervous i cant hold it then i keep ask question like small child and my concetration on this what they answer is sometimes zero then i anyway dont know what they was saying...like i loose my mind or something..
Then

I wish I could muster the ability to utter at least two consecutive words. I am completely mute. I may as well be a vegetable! LOL. The pressure is unbearable, but I just can't find the words. But I do understand where you are coming from.

DespairSoul

I wish I could muster the ability to utter at least two consecutive words. I am completely mute. I may as well be a vegetable! LOL. The pressure is unbearable, but I just can't find the words. But I do understand where you are coming from.

Mute this must be pressure too very much if u dont talk. And i talk again to much not long time ago i wander words that i cant say it what wantend. I dont know if SA is being be mute or talking so much only from fear have this embarrasing silence. Im glad u understand my english is again not so bad;)
No dont be vegetable coz some one will eat u and later he will have talent for
belly talking. Im from Czech.

D

deleted user 1

mute this must be pressure too very much if u dont talk. And i talk again to much not long time ago i wander words that i cant say it what wantend. I dont know if sa is being be mute or talking so much only from fear have this embarrasing silence. Im glad u understand my english is again not so bad;)
no dont be vegetable coz some one will eat u and later he will have talent for
belly talking.
im from czech.

lmao!!! :)

pigeon

Not really acting, more of containing my self to the point where other people think i'm depressed or have no personality.

LovelyAmor

Yes, all the time. It's like an automatic defense or something. I feel like I need to "act" in order to be accepted. I feel like if I say or do what I really feel, it would come across the wrong way. I always have to say the right things and make the right moves. Almost like some kind of programmed robot.:confused:

There are times when my responses don't always sound so automatic and they sound genuine and real. :D But most of the time i'm like an unemotional robot. :rolleyes:

UnOccupied

yes, i pretend i am not anxious. When i do this, i get totally messed up inside. I speed up, and pretend i feel fine, and its just weird and confusing.

If I am around people I don't know then yes.
I am a fairly constantly sad person and most other people don't like being around sad people. So If I want to appear happy in rl, then I have to "act" it.

DespairSoul

Yes, all the time. It's like an automatic defense or something. I feel like I need to "act" in order to be accepted. I feel like if I say or do what I really feel, it would come across the wrong way. I always have to say the right things and make the right moves. Almost like some kind of programmed robot.:confused:

There are times when my responses don't always sound so automatic and they sound genuine and real. :D But most of the time i'm like an unemotional robot. :rolleyes:

Exactly i have for example days that i me only with my opinions but not with moods,my mood is upset but i pretend i happy and smile,but soon anyway my face freeze up and i feel i cant move my mouth to smile.Coz inside me is huge pain and i cant put smile on my face. And if i do i play it. Coz i sometimes think this people around me resolution really not importand stuff and they dont have clue about stuff what i survive inside and later im taken like act and dont feel. I try feel them but i cant coz they dont take me like i wish whole live just normal. Why is this smiling so importand why must be smile to be sympatic isnt mean if you dont smile just i cant.

DespairSoul

If am around people I don't know then yes.
I am a fairly constantly sad person and most other people don't like being around sad people. So If I want to appear happy in rl, then I have to "act" it.

Yes this is true people dont like SAD PEOPLE and they never will. And how we can be happy if we dont feel it. We should be probly whole live fake,act and pretend? And this i hate i like to be sincere and say the truth but by this situation is so hard be honest.

Last edited:

Lexus199

Yes, in the sense that it's unlikely that I would ever tell anyone that I'm having a bad day. If people notice then I just say that I'm tired or feeling sick. Apparently I get sick and tired a lot! ;) Generally people don't notice though.

Me, too. Sometimes I feel like some sort of doppelganger (at least the D&D kind). Like I can be anything but my actual self.

As for acting, I occasionally do. Most of the time I'm my usual quiet, withdrawn self. But when people ask me how I'm doing or if I'm having fun, I couldn't be more content. Maybe one day I'll be honest when someone asks how I'm doing, just to see how they react to an overabundance of unwanted information, but I'm usually too worried that s/he will actually care. The thought of a meaningful conversation about myself scares the crap out of me.

Though on the odd occasion that I attend some party in costume, I find it easier to relax and enjoy myself. At a gay pirate party, one acts like a gay pirate. When dressed as a scout trooper on a speeder bike, people expect Star Wars quotes and jokes. But at a family Christmas party there are no costumes. Even with my gaming buddies, we never dress the part. Maybe I should get some ears, some elven chain, and go as my elven ranger one day.

Then again, to them I'm just weird. After that I might be crazy.

:eek:

D20 much? ::p: I only wish that I could completely act out of character like that. At my best I'm sociable but not to that extent.

Wishmaster

I do occasionally. Most of the time that I do it is when I speak to my mom on the telephone. No matter how I'm feeling at the time she doesn't deserve to have any reason to worry about me at all, so I try to be really upbeat with her.

huzzah

I do sometimes. Most of the time I can't even pretend, though, and I just look like a nervous wreck.

sevenroses

This happens quite a lot. Outside I try to put on a bubbly personality but deep inside I feel like dying. It gets really bad for people I meet for the very first time like new coworkers because I start off really sociable but after a few more shifts they detect the real shy me. I just got to avoid acting too sociable in the first place and just be more of myself which is shy and reserved and try to be a tad sociable so there aint no sudden surprises of me suddenly going from extremely sociable and talkative to extremely shy and timid. But ya all in all I do find myself acting towards other people.

Snowdrop

I think I can relate to some people here...Usually when I first meet a person, I try to act outgoing/cool/fun and bubbly -but it usually fails- and I almost immediately fall back into my reserved self but I know that isn't who I want to be. SP just makes me so damn quiet and it annoys me.
I remember having a lot to say before it started, but now I'm deadly quiet and always stuck for things to say. It's like I always want to be interesting and fun and that makes me feel a bit sick too because I feel like I'm one of those people who NEED to be liked. At times I even think maybe it ISN'T SP that's making me like this and I simply "changed", and that possibility scares me because I do not want to be so quiet around people.

Felgen

Often. A person who falls somewhere on the autistic spectrum and can't act, is effed (and not the good kind of effed).

MaliceInWickedland

It's funny really. People always tell me to just be myself but when I actually do act like my true self people just laugh at me or give me that "WTF" look. My true self speaks her mind and says things like they are whether it hurts others feelings or not. I've gotten so used to being something I'm not that I feel like I'm starting to forget who I really am. I hate putting on this mask and smiling on the outside when I know deep down I'm nowhere near happy.

Snowdrop

It's funny really. People always tell me to just be myself but when I actually do act like my true self people just laugh at me or give me that "WTF" look. My true self speaks her mind and says things like they are whether it hurts others feelings or not. I've gotten so used to being something I'm not that I feel like I'm starting to forget who I really am. I hate putting on this mask and smiling on the outside when I know deep down I'm nowhere near happy.

I know what u mean exactly, I feel like I've forgotten who I am as well and it scares me every day ...