do you feel like you matter?

tenuous~hold

the words "i want to matter" were on my mind recently...

i was just wondering if anyone else feels the same way. & i mean it aside from your parent/parents or family members.

doubtmyself

Banned
I don't always feel the necessity of my existence if that's what you mean. The world can get along fine it seems without me.
But if I reflect further I do matter of course..to my partner, family and dog. Maybe at work a little too though of course I am under no illusion that I am indispensable.
We all matter more than we realise...is my conclusion. Hope that is your conclusion too.

MikeyC

I feel like I'm just another tiny speck of sand in the Universe's beach. When I die there will be some grieving but life will go on and other people will pick up the things I left behind.

In the grand scheme of things, I do not matter and never will.

MrJones

No, I don't matter much, only to my close family. I could die and everything else would be okay, even if a couple of people would need some time, I'm still not important. I don't think I want to matter anyway, it'll be less "drama" when I leave.

Nothingness

I don't feel like I matter to anyone else, and I certainly don't matter to myself. It might be nice to feel important for once, but I feel much too insignificant for everything and everyone.

Tulicks

Yes and no. There are people that care about me, but I'm completely detached from them emotionally. I don't want to be, but this is what happened to me after many years of suffering with social anxiety.

SilentBird

I matter to some people and I think some would want more from me but I remain distant. I don't matter to myself.

KiaKaha

Banned
I feel like - people can always do better than me to bother with... people can choose who they associate with and I cant really offer very much... I feel people size me up within an instant and know right away I am someone that they dont want to know.... and would rather that I just wasnt there.

ugh threads like this make me feel embarrased and ungrateful.

dpr

the words "i want to matter" were on my mind recently...

i was just wondering if anyone else feels the same way. & i mean it aside from your parent/parents or family members.

I have a kind of zen-ish perspective on this. I don't feel like it matters if I matter or not.

We wouldn't normally think whether a tree "matters" or not, (except for an ecological, practical point of view, but not in an emotional way which I suspect you mean).

Anyway, we are the same. We are nature unfolding. We don't need to matter any more than the trees or the sun or the rain. We don't need to matter, we can just "be."

outsideroftheoutsiders

I think I've always thought I mattered although lots of things could contradict that. I think feeling 'special' is how I survive, but I do honestly believe it...

outsideroftheoutsiders

I have a kind of zen-ish perspective on this. I don't feel like it matters if I matter or not.

We wouldn't normally think whether a tree "matters" or not, (except for an ecological, practical point of view, but not in an emotional way which I suspect you mean).

Anyway, we are the same. We are nature unfolding. We don't need to matter any more than the trees or the sun or the rain. We don't need to matter, we can just "be."

I like that concept

recluse

When i die there will be no one in my funeral. It's weird because even though you won't know because you are dead but having a vision of an empty funeral bothers me.

coyote

in the same sense

since we are all one, all part of the same universal whole

then each of us matters a great deal

as much as the sun and the moon and the trees matter

everything matters, because the universe would be incomplete without its existence

so just by being - you are keeping everything in balance

just at is needs to be

tenuous~hold

i really didn't mean in the whole scheme of things, like you're here to save the world.

i was really talking about in your personal life.

not to say it wouldn't be nice to save the world or really make a difference, but the odds are getting much higher that it can't be done... & when you're fighting just to have your life matter to yourself, well it's a little hard to try to save anything or anyone else.