Do you feel depressed after reading facebook?

pinata

I wanna delete my Facebook but I can't really until I finish uni.. I need it to talk to people and get help with my uni work when I'm not sure what to do. It stirs up a lot of negative emotions though, when I'm feeling alone I feel worse when I see that everyone seems to be having fun and everyone looks so glam on their nights out, but in reality, behind the smiles a lot of the time they're having a **** time of it really. It's not good for me either when I have a boyfriend or there's a guy I like, I notice he seems to have more female friends than male ones and it's not good for my jealously.. I waste a lot of time looking at people's profiles who I don't even know then end up telling them what I found out about them when I'm drunk lol. I don't think you can delete people by bulk on it can you? So annoying, want to get rid of people :/

razzle dazzle rose

Ugh. Facebook, I hate you! This guy, an ex of mine from a million years ago, posted a video of this band I like. He is going to see them. With his new girlfriend. How nice. HOW NICE!!! AHHH!!! I want to go too *cries*

twiggle

Ugh. Facebook, I hate you! This guy, an ex of mine from a million years ago, posted a video of this band I like. He is going to see them. With his new girlfriend. How nice. HOW NICE!!! AHHH!!! I want to go too *cries*

That's truly awful.
I hate it when guys I've dated post videos etc of bands I like. I mean, I know I don't own the bands haha, but still, it puts me off a little. ::eek::
Used to be a massive Arcade Fire fan until I met him.
You should unsubscribe from this guy's updates, then he won't appear in your newsfeed. That feature is a god-send. I could hide all of the people who irritated me without having to delete them.(deleting people feels nasty to me. No matter who they are...(unless they do something truly awful to me)... I'd rather just hide them or put them in a list so they can't see much of my profile.)

twiggle

Haha why do you girls have your ex BFs still on your friends list? Thats just asking to get depressed by something.

Lol yes I guess it is.... but I dunno... deleting just seems a little petty to me especially if they meant something important once. If it weren't for the ability to hide their stuff from the newsfeed, maybe I'd feel differently about that though haha.

Necrucifer

I get depressed because usually my ex's are friends with my friends or someone I know...so there wall posts and stuff I Can see and I usually try to delete them but even so I still see it on someone elses facebook or wall post on top stories etc or whatever...it does suck.

afraid so, especially when you have nothing going on in your life and you look at your home page and see everyone having great times and doing so much. Remember though its an illusion not everyone is all happy go lucky all the time.

surreyger

I get that whole feeling of everyones life is so exciting when I go on the newsfeed and im so bored with everything, and did want to get rid of facebook, but I ended weighing up the pros and cons and getting subjects im interest in on my feed and keeping contact with some people I otherwise wouldnt be is worth putting up with it for.

pop-princess

afraid so, especially when you have nothing going on in your life and you look at your home page and see everyone having great times and doing so much. Remember though its an illusion not everyone is all happy go lucky all the time.

I get bitter when I check FB many times yes.

I feel the same. I have some FB friends that really love to show up every single thing they do.

Like you said many try to put up this facade of themselves on FB and internet where they seem so successfull and perfect all the time.

cowboyup

Some of them have kids and houses and great jobs...other people are travelling the world and having great experiences, while I am here in my bedroom, unemployed lonely and unhappy.
Yes, I agree. ShyKiwi, you said: ....while I am here in my bedroom, unemployed, lonely and unhappy.... I read this whilst in my bedroom, unemployed, lonely and unhappy ... yup here I am! I am a live in nanny for my nephew-going on 3 years now and I see no end in sight, though I tend to 'dramatize' things b/c of my SA...at least I hope that's it.

To the point: I used to have a facebook page when I had a job, was happy, etc. Back then, looking back, I could more cope with reading if so-and-so was going on a trip, or who saw what new movie, who is going out with whom, etc. but now, I can't even stand going on and reading who's doing what because I get so depressed and yes, jealous. I know someone who is very busy on there and is a prominent photographer in town, and to make things worse, this person texts me tiny quips like asking what I did for Halloween..thinking in my mind this person is mocking the fact I had school, but they quickly replied (without me asking what they did) participated in a parade while spinning fire and taking photographs. I don't dare go on facebook to see the photos!

I am glad to see I am NOT the only one who feels this way - on the flip side, though I am sad to SEE how many people feel this way. Anyone know why this is so for many of us? I do want to belong, but then I think about re-opening a facebook account and I say to myself, 'why would anyone want to read mine, I have nothing to say cuz I don't do anything b/c I am so paralyzed by my own irrational thoughts.....'

:confused:

cowboyup

So initially, yes, I get depressed, then I laugh that them, because despite having a ring on their finger and the capability of reproducing, I'm happier in reality than they THINK they are!

Hmm, that's actually a good way to look at it, sanitariumcalls. Maybe it is sometimes an illusion

coyote

Am I the only person here who's facebook feed doesn't consist of people trying to show off how awesome their social lives are? Maybe it's an age group thing.

The last half dozen items in my feed:

311825_305650669450015_100000152538479_1462531_2131684759_n.jpg

With the tagline "Any Smashing Pumpkins fans out there?"

This article (posted by a teacher on my f-list): Teacher Aid Is First Piece Of Obama's Jobs Plan To Get Senate Vote

This story (posted by a Canadian friend): Kanata driver who hit cyclists says he fell asleep - Ottawa - CBC News

The last 5 songs someone listened to on something called 'spotify'. Maybe I'll check it out later. New music is always good.

This: "Herding cats is easy. Herding greased, rabid, bipolar, egotistical cats is most decidedly not an easy task."

And this pic share:
295698_10150493147672925_13362002924_11316512_1466125673_n.jpg

Seriously, none of this is likely to make me feel like crap about myself. I don't tend to add or keep people who make me feel like crap. Facebook is not evil, and who you choose as friends is up to you.

yep - exactly

if your "friends" make you feel bad because of their posts

you don't need to change yourself or lie about yourself

you just need cooler friends

or maybe just some older friends who are past all that nonsense

Joh

i have fb account with 127 friends, i noticed many times some of my friends they appears online when i say "Hi" they turned to offline ... i did not get any benefit from fb... everybody ignores, i was alone, till alone ... fb i not useful for me ... i feel depressed after reading fb....

razzle dazzle rose

That's truly awful.
I hate it when guys I've dated post videos etc of bands I like. I mean, I know I don't own the bands haha, but still, it puts me off a little. ::eek::
Used to be a massive Arcade Fire fan until I met him.

Same here! Haha...it has happened a couple times. It is like they kill the band for me. Ugh!

You should unsubscribe from this guy's updates, then he won't appear in your newsfeed. That feature is a god-send. I could hide all of the people who irritated me without having to delete them.(deleting people feels nasty to me. No matter who they are...(unless they do something truly awful to me)... I'd rather just hide them or put them in a list so they can't see much of my profile.)

I really should take advantage of that feature...but it is like, I am so curious! I just can't.

Haha why do you girls have your ex BFs still on your friends list? Thats just asking to get depressed by something.

Well, like I mentioned, we dated a long time ago, back in high school actually. So I don't have feelings for him anymore. He is the only ex I actually have on fb. That day I was particularly annoyed 'cause what I have always wanted was that type of relationship where I get to go out a lot, and he seems to be having it with someone else, it makes me so angry. I don't want that relationship with him by the way. Oh, no. Been there, done that. I am happy it did not work out. But I know what you are saying. It is more like me not to be friends with my ex's. I would like to be that kind of person that is friends with all her ex's 'cause some of them were pretty cool and were better friends than boyfriends...it is still weird though.

yep - exactly

if your "friends" make you feel bad because of their posts

you don't need to change yourself or lie about yourself

you just need cooler friends

or maybe just some older friends who are past all that nonsense

I do have some of those cool friends which is awesome. I just need more. But it is so hard to find those people. With time, I hope!

Unsubscribe from the people who write showy offy statements (unsubscribe is not the same as unfriending) or put them in a separate list to everybody else so that they don't appear in your main newsfeed.

You know, I am really gonna try to do this.