Do you consider yourself "shy" ?

lyricalliaisons

For people with social anxiety, Do you consider yourself to be "shy" ? Is it a fitting term for you, or do you feel that that word doesn't do how you feel justice?

For me, I'm so far beyond shy that it's absurd. I would love to be shy. Even as a very little child, I was far beyond shy. I have social anxiety, agoraphobia, & an avoidant personality. I can barely leave the house, I can't talk to people, I've never had a job, even though I'm 28 years old, I've never been in a relationship, I have no friends, & all because I'm so scared of being around people. My goal is to someday be "shy" so that I can finally have a life & achieve the things I want in life. Being shy, to me, would be the best thing in the world. I could never hope for more.

lunarla

I'm sure many people would consider me shy and reserved. But my problem is when that's all they see me as or all they know me for. Then I start to feel like I have to live up to being just shy when I'm around people that see me as that. That I can't be anything other than that around certain people. I know myself to be much more than that. So in that sense, I don't think being characterized as shy does me too much justice and it's certainly not how I feel about myself.

As for your situation, I hope you get to where you'd like to be!

Emily_G

I'm pretty shy, yes. Once I get comfortable with my surroundings I can open up a little...but it all depends really.

agoraphobickatie

i don't think i've ever really considered myself shy... i'm not one of those people who talks a lot simply because i find that to be really annoying, but i'm not afraid to say something that i want to be heard..

Amnesiac

Shy sounds way too derogatory, its really more of an infantile remark. If people say I'm shy or call me shy, I just say, "I'm not shy, I just hate people." It seems to work remarkably well.

philly2bits

I'm sure many people would consider me shy and reserved. But my problem is when that's all they see me as or all they know me for. Then I start to feel like I have to live up to being just shy when I'm around people that see me as that. That I can't be anything other than that around certain people.

I feel the same way. It always seems that once I get to be known as the "shy" guy, for whatever reason I feel like I have to live up to that. It doesn't help that that if I do happen to do anything "out of character" such as have an actual conversation that people always make a big deal out of it like I suddenly grew vocal cords. It's almost as if I keep quiet just because I know talking will get me way too much attention from people who are accustomed to me being quiet.

dead24

I feel the same way. It always seems that once I get to be known as the "shy" guy, for whatever reason I feel like I have to live up to that. It doesn't help that that if I do happen to do anything "out of character" such as have an actual conversation that people always make a big deal out of it like I suddenly grew vocal cords. It's almost as if I keep quiet just because I know talking will get me way too much attention from people who are accustomed to me being quiet.

WE'RE EXACTLY THE SAME. AND I GET REALLY PISSED OFF.
aside from that i am also extremely awkward thats why people avoid me more.

FountainandFairfax

in a VAN down by the RIVER
That can be used to your advantage though. I love busting out the "Silent Bob" nugget of profound wisdom when people least expect it.

I don't think I've ever been described as 'shy' in my life and i don't see that happening anytime soon either :eek:

itay

i think i'm not shy at all, i know this seems nonsense, but when i look to the shy guys they are different, they all got friends and even gf, they will for example stay there and talk with a low voice while when i talk i my voice is loud but not very clear

phil91

No, but it depends on your definition of shy. I consider "shy" as someone who is quiet by nature (aka they simply just don't like talking much), not someone who stays quiet because of fear/no confidence. I would say I'm an extrovert with a mental disorder that handicaps my social ability.

lyricalliaisons

I'm sure many people would consider me shy and reserved. But my problem is when that's all they see me as or all they know me for. Then I start to feel like I have to live up to being just shy when I'm around people that see me as that. That I can't be anything other than that around certain people. I know myself to be much more than that. So in that sense, I don't think being characterized as shy does me too much justice and it's certainly not how I feel about myself.

As for your situation, I hope you get to where you'd like to be!
I feel the same way, though opposite (if that makes sense lol). For me, I feel like shy people are viewed as just being quiet, etc. & for me, it goes much deeper than that. I feel like when people think I'm shy, they expect too much from me. They expect me to interact in a way that's just not possible for me.

For me, "shy" is an understatement.
Same goes for me.

No, but it depends on your definition of shy. I consider "shy" as someone who is quiet by nature (aka they simply just don't like talking much), not someone who stays quiet because of fear/no confidence. I would say I'm an extrovert with a mental disorder that handicaps my social ability.
Your definition of shy & mine seem to be the same. I feel the same as you, only without being an extrovert. I'm a natural introvert & I think I would be "shy" if it weren't for my fear of being around people & especially of talking to them.

lyricalliaisons

Thanks for all your comments :D. I've always wondered if everyone with SA just thinks of shyness & SA as being the same thing because a lot of people seem to, even though there's a HUGE different between the two, imo. Shy people are able to function much better in society than people with SA.

recluse

It's different to mere shyness.....It's much worse. I know of a lot of shy people who are in bands and do normal stuff like go out with their friends.