Do you believe in second chances?

MNM322

This has nothing to do with religion... just a question... when it comes to friends/love etc... do you usually give people a second chance? Why or why not?

I do... always.... I have yet to find a time when I would not. I do it for many reasons... the main one being...I know I have messed up out of anger or frustration etc and love when people don't give up on me. Another being that, it just seems the right thing to do. I think when you give a second chance, you feel so much more "free" inside and you don't harbor as much anger etc.

Its probably a bad thing I am so forgiving but I do believe in the power of forgiveness

Hellhound

Super Moderator
I only give second chances if the other person is willing to change for the better. If they keep screwing up over and over, I give up on them and move on.

MNM322

Ya but if they "keep screwing up" means you gave them a second chance or you wouldn't know ;)

MikeyC

Yes, I believe in second chances. However, I don't know when enough is enough. There are at least 2 people in my life where I should've given them the boot, but gave them chance after chance for reasons I can't even fathom.

There's one girl in my life recently, and twice she's gotten in contact with me, and both times she has asked for money. I think that's the end for her.

How_slow_the_Wind

It really depends on context. If they show sincere remorse for something they have commited in the past, or feel as if they are a different person, then I think people should be able to be given sencond chances. However, some people never learn, and willingly abuse peoples trust over and over again. I do think most people are redeemable.

Rembrandt Broam

It depends on the situation. If someone genuinely messes up, then yeah I'll usually give them a second chance because we've all done stupid things from time to time. But I wouldn't give a second chance to someone who'd acted maliciously unless they could demonstrate to me that they had changed and weren't likely to do the same thing again. In my experience, self-interested people who screw other people over for their own benefit don't tend to undergo sudden epiphanies and change their ways. They're just very good at saying they have.

DevC

Of course I do, would be mean not to and with my ability to have poeple in my life I cant afford not too, but I also need to learn when enough is enough.

WeirdyMcGee

I forgive but I can't forget.

I've never really had any close friends and this may be why-- because I know people will betray me eventually; it's just a matter of time. That's what I've learned from my personal experience, anyways.

I will always be kind to people and show compassion but I'm not going to be very close with anyone-- especially if they need a '2nd', '3rd', '4th', '20th' chance.
There will be more and more distance after the first chance.
They'll find other friends to talk to other than me.

Chess

Forgiveness doesn't make people change, it just removes any necessity to do so if they want to keep having friends/dates. Unless someone genuinely feels bad about what they did, why stop if it feels good or is beneficial and people just keep forgiving them?

If it's obvious it was a mistake I'll forgive, otherwise they can live with their decisions like me and the rest of the world.

Lea

Banned
I think I always give ppl second chance, even X chances. I regard life as a learning process, getting along with other people and trying to understand each other is something like a training, excercise, there is no winner or looser in it. Only someone knows how to play better, someone worse or even sucks. Shouldn´t those who are not so good in playing be given equal chance to participate on the game? I say there shouldn´t be no winner or looser, someone "better" or someone "worse". Who would I be to not give people 2nd chance, I would spoil all the game just for my own pride and narcissistic importance.

To say this, there used to be people who really pissed me off and I couldn´t get on with them because our opinions were so different. One girl behaved to me rudely every time (I won´t go into details because it would be too long), I tried to do what I could to get on with her, but she wasn´t even interested in peaceful and fair solution. In the end I felt really pushed into unfriending her on FB because she crossed all boundaries. I don´t normally do such things but strangely in this case I felt good about it and felt that it was the right decision. I think I would give her another chance though if she wanted to talk to me.

Last edited:

jaim38

If a friend messes up and wants to make up, then yeah, I give my friend a second chance.
In most situations, I give people second chances.
However, when it comes to romance, it's an entirely different matter.
If I dated a guy but don't feel any meaningful connection with him, then I will not give him a second chance (in dating and romance). Why should I keep a guy around if I have no feelings for him? It would only serve to hurt me and him later on. He will think I'm stringing him along, and I will feel guilty too.
Same thing with guys who are not compatible and guys whom I don't have feelings for. There are plenty of fishes in the sea and they're better off finding their very own lucky girl who can love them for who they are.
I also don't believe in guys trying to change their personalities just to get a girl to like them.
I'm not sure if I can tolerate cheating. If a guy cheats on another woman and impregnates her, I would end things immediately and not look back.

Last edited:

BleedTheFreak

Depends on how miserable the person has made my life. I tend to take everything personally, so sometimes I remember stupid insults said to me in the heat of the moment (sometimes years ago) and have trouble moving past things like that. So in those cases I have to step back and realize that I might overreact to things just a tad...But a lot of times you can just tell what kind of person they are and know what their intentions are, even if they severely wronged you. I don't know...each case is different, but I have no problem cutting ties with someone if they can't help but treat me like crap.

Emerald_

Now I feel STUPID. A word I never really heard used nor used myself. Maybe I should read the dicitionary sometime!
mag·nan·i·mous/magˈnanəməs/ Adjective:

Very generous or forgiving, esp. toward a rival or someone less powerful than oneself.

Only just seen this :D

Fighter86

Well I have given second chances, big mistake. As for others to giving me chances its rare, almost never happens.

ImNotMyIllness

It really depends on what you mean by a "second chance" and it also depends on the context. If a girl cheated on me in a relationship, I will forgive her, but that relationship would of course be over.
In general I'm pretty forgiving. I really make a conscious effort. But, I also believe in moving on. Some friends have really hurt me in the past and although I forgive them and wish them the best, I need to move on. I don't want to "reboot" that friendship.