Do people treat you differrently in a group vs. one on one?

Some people I know are like this and it really pisses me off. One friend of mine is totally normal when it's just the two of us but if even one other person is with us she becomes bitchy and combative over the smallest things, like she has this weird public persona she has to uphold. Anyone else experience this?

edit: goddamnit! hit R too many times in 'differently'! that's going to drive me insane.

Last edited:

SeptembersGold19

For some reason I will act one way around someone but then another way around another person. Nothing that's bitchy though, just like I'll be really quiet around one person and then myself around another. It's hard for me to really be myself though. I know this doesn't really answer your question but I just wanted to reply

Krista

Yes! I can not stand people who do this. To act one way and another in front of a group, a friend of mine does the exact same. Alone she is great and in front of others she's rude, puts down people including me, becomes aggressive like we're competing for the attention of these people and I'm just sitting back wondering what the hell her problem is. I've not really found a lot of people who don't do this. I just assumed it was the norm.

Anomaly

People would talk with me because there was no one else to talk to. Once other people join the group, I rarely get attention. I suppose that's both good and bad.

phil91

Some people I know are like this and it really pisses me off. One friend of mine is totally normal when it's just the two of us but if even one other person is with us she becomes bitchy and combative over the smallest things, like she has this weird public persona she has to uphold. Anyone else experience this?

Apparently it's quite common to be a "social chameleon", where you act differently with each group of people you know.

Flowers-Of-Bloom

Yes, I have a friend who is like that. In a group he is loud, usually the center of attention and poking fun at others. Sometimes he mocks me. But one-on-one he is nothing like that. Infact he admits that within a group he acts that way to cover up his insecurities and to fit in.
It's not uncommon though, and I'm guilty of it too. I just go about it differently.

yeah, i didn't think it was uncommon, i just think it's s***** when people are totally cool with me one on one and then rude to me in front of others. it's fine to have an extroverted group persona, i do too sometimes, it's just not ok to be a bitch to me for the sake of entertainment. It's just made me not trust those people with my feelings.

Krista

yeah, i didn't think it was uncommon, i just think it's s***** when people are totally cool with me one on one and then rude to me in front of others. it's fine to have an extroverted group persona, i do too sometimes, it's just not ok to be a bitch to me for the sake of entertainment. It's just made me not trust those people with my feelings.

Exactly and it certainly makes it harder to call them a friend. Because aren't friends suppose to do the opposite? Makes you feel like all your insecurities are on display because now you think they feel the same way you do about yourself. Blah, people suck sometimes.

Involuntary Chaos

In groups people just totally ignore me completely, and if it's one-on-one they have to confront me at some point because I'm the only other person there! Not that I have ever been in a group of people before... HA HA haa!! Oh wait that probably means I suck.... WhAtEVerR

iamthenra

Yeah...well sort of anyways... My buddy and I will get together and do all kinds of things... but when someone joins our group, I turn invisible to him and everyone else.. He quits talking to me altogether. I might as well not even be there because Nobody will talk to me, except for when I am alone with either him or whoever is there... Even my own relatives will do this too. It's obvious, they would rather talk to others than me. Then they wonder why I have a low self esteem.....

A_Void_Ant

yeah, those kinds of people are constanly out to better themselves only. They are all friendly to you around you to keep your friendship, but they'll go and treat you like **** infront of some other "cooler" person in an attempt to claim that persons friendship too. Well guess what, I don't take that **** anymore so I have no friends right now. I took it in high school, back when I was still learning what was wrong with me. I wish I could rewind my life to a certain point but with all the knowledge I have now.

Edit: Oh and how about the people who just stop talking to you or pretend they don't know you infront of other people or even simply talking to you less!? As if I don't notice? They start dying the conversation down as someone popular walks by... Yeah. They sure were talking a lot until THAT person came around... What's the matter? Don't wanna be seen talking to the "freak"!? Talk about selfish *******s!

Last edited:

206Raider

Yeah people who do that always piss me off and I give them the "wtf are you talking about" look. You see the fakeness in them firsthand when they change how they act around other people and then I don't really mess with them anymore, you know they will talk behind your back to people they think are cool.

I use to have that.. but I don;t hang out with those ppl anymore.. but it does happen sometimes.. the point is to make a fool out of that person amoung the ppl he/she considers cool... and he'll never do it again.. hard I know.. but u can just go right in front of the cool ppl.. why do u always change when ur in front of he/she.. do u need to do this stuff to blend in.. truth is also good..:)

lollipop103

For some reason I will act one way around someone but then another way around another person. Nothing that's bitchy though, just like I'll be really quiet around one person and then myself around another. It's hard for me to really be myself though. I know this doesn't really answer your question but I just wanted to reply

That sounds exactly like me. ::p: