Digital vs Analog(ue)

Silatuyok

These days it seems like there is a digital option for everything: tvs, cameras, music players, watches, pianos, even pets. Do you go for digital devices, or do you prefer old-school methods? Which is superior, in your opinion?

Just curious. :)

WeirdyMcGee

...this is a complicated question.

I have no opinion.
haha

But seeing as there is digital everything that mimics analog; I'd lean more towards analog.
Digital is more convenient but analog is timeless.

Blabla..

they both have their advantages , they are both unique and give different results .

Analogue in most cases is always more natural , warm , organic looking , but digital is almost always easier to work with .

I prefer old school methods all the way in some cases , in others , digital .

I usually add fake cinematic grain to reproduce the one you get from film , over digital footage , but working with tapes and films is not my thing , so i choose digital for photography and videos. Others love to develop their own films , so this is their obvious choice .

Musically , putting your hands on real vinyls is not an experience you can get with digital , yes , they make digital turntables with a real looking spinning vinyl on top which you can manipulate , but it sounds digital , too much for me . Same thing with analogue synthesizers , some of them have a unique warm sound which you can't get with digital.

To the average user who just wanna take a picture , or listen to music , i guess digital is the way to go absolutely .

Silatuyok

Digital is certainly easier and more convenient in most cases. However, I love the tactile experience of working with what is now old-fashioned technology.
I have a digital piano and I hate it, even though it has weighted keys to mimic a real piano, and quality speakers. It's just not the same.
As for photography, you can't beat the actual physical act of capturing light in film and on paper...digital prints just look like flat computer printouts to me. And I will take vinyl over iTunes any day (at least, any day when I am listening to music at home, haha).
Everything analog takes a special skill, knowledge, and mindset to master. The process is often meditative and deliberate, whereas digital is instantly gratifying and usually easy to use.
But, both methods can be used in really great ways if you know what you're doing.

Aletheia

I was a vinyl snob for a long time, partly because I knew guys who were DJs.

But mostly for the warmth.

MikeyC

Like Weirdy, I don't really have a strong opinion one way or another. Digital is certainly more convenient, but analogue has its timelessness and feel to it.

I will be very sad the day CD's are obsolete (and that day is approaching fast) because there's something different about holding the physical album in your hands rather than having a downloaded copy on your computer. I enjoy having a collection I can physically look at.

Same with movies. I'm not a collector of movies but to those that are, Blu-ray will be the final physical media before it's all digital. That day will be sad, too, and I will see that very soon.

I'm more of a fan of digital stuff! Except digital books though. Those just seem silly to me. You have to be able to feel the pages!
I totally agree with this. E-books are not going to be the same. I mean, you can even smell books, too, which is something that will be missed completely once printed media is obsolete. One of the only books I have is Geologica: Earth's Dynamic Forces, and that is a lot better to read on printed paper than digitally because it feels a lot more personal and it simply looks better.

Rembrandt Broam

Digital is convenient, but whether it's better depends on the medium. I'll take clear analogue TV picture over an over-compressed digital one (usually it seems so the TV stations can cram in a bunch of pointless channels no one really wants) any day.

Plus there's something about holding a vinyl record in your hand, something tactile, that you just don't get with a CD or an MP3 download. :)

Rembrandt Broam

I totally agree with this. E-books are not going to be the same. I mean, you can even smell books, too, which is something that will be missed completely once printed media is obsolete. One of the only books I have is Geologica: Earth's Dynamic Forces, and that is a lot better to read on printed paper than digitally because it feels a lot more personal and it simply looks better.

And a paper book never crashes or runs out of power. ;)

MikeyC

Plus there's something about holding a vinyl record in your hand, something tactile, that you just don't get with a CD or an MP3 download. :)
I collect CD's, and I have no vinyl. I would like to one day start collecting vinyl, as they're making a bit of a comeback in heavy metal circles, but that can't happen right now. Similar to you, though, holding a CD is a lot better than looking at a file on the computer.

Vinyl would be great for the expanded art work and having to really take care of it.

And a paper book never crashes or runs out of power. ;)
Well, the paper would fade around the edges, but that gives it part of its charm.

I read somewhere that when E-books become a common thing, some companies are making books have a one-year life span before they eliminate themselves and you have to buy it again! What the hell!

A modern, high-end digital camera has almost (but not quite) the resolving power of old-fashioned film. Won't be too long before they meet or exceed that.

CD's are digital, not analog, but like most people, I prefer to actually have a CD.

A 24-bit FLAC audio file stores a mathematically described exact duplicate of an analog sound wave, but can be played back with none of the mechanical noise you get with vinyl. They are technically superior to any analog medium (except hearing it live, of course), but they're very hard to find.

And I prefer physical books over ebooks, mostly because of what MikeyC said about them having DRM and such.

Silatuyok

A modern, high-end digital camera has almost (but not quite) the resolving power of old-fashioned film. Won't be too long before they meet or exceed that.

CD's are digital, not analog, but like most people, I prefer to actually have a CD.

A 24-bit FLAC audio file stores a mathematically described exact duplicate of an analog sound wave, but can be played back with none of the mechanical noise you get with vinyl. They are technically superior to any analog medium (except hearing it live, of course), but they're very hard to find.

And I prefer physical books over ebooks, mostly because of what MikeyC said about them having DRM and such.

But digital prints will never duplicate the loveliness of silver halide. And I like the scratchiness of vinyl, and the fact that I have to get up every 20 minutes or so to flip the darn thing. It makes listening to music a much more active experience.

Silatuyok

I read somewhere that when E-books become a common thing, some companies are making books have a one-year life span before they eliminate themselves and you have to buy it again! What the hell!

:eek:
Excuse me while I go stock up on paperbacks...

awkwardamanda

I will be very sad the day CD's are obsolete (and that day is approaching fast) because there's something different about holding the physical album in your hands rather than having a downloaded copy on your computer. I enjoy having a collection I can physically look at.

I totally agree. I'm not a music nut and I don't have a huge collection of CDs, but I still buy them when I do like something. I could see maybe downloading (legally) just for the odd song, but if I like a few songs from an artist enough it is worth buying the CD. Most of the time, I just rip it to my computer anyway and put the songs on my mp3 player, but I still like to have the CD, even if I don't physically play it that often. Sometimes it's worth it for the album art. Most artists will include the lyrics too. Much better than those annoying popup ads that every song lyric site bombards you with. What I've been noticing too, is that stores seem to stock mostly newer music, but if you're looking for an older album it can be hard to find.

Tiercel

picture.php

Need I say more? :D

MikeyC

I totally agree. I'm not a music nut and I don't have a huge collection of CDs, but I still buy them when I do like something. I could see maybe downloading (legally) just for the odd song, but if I like a few songs from an artist enough it is worth buying the CD. Most of the time, I just rip it to my computer anyway and put the songs on my mp3 player, but I still like to have the CD, even if I don't physically play it that often. Sometimes it's worth it for the album art. Most artists will include the lyrics too. Much better than those annoying popup ads that every song lyric site bombards you with. What I've been noticing too, is that stores seem to stock mostly newer music, but if you're looking for an older album it can be hard to find.
Yes, like you, I rip the music to my computer but I have a stereo where I play CD's (that badly needs upgrading/replacing) and I like having to change the CD from my collection instead of clicking a few buttons. You're also right in that it's nice to get booklets and lyrics and art with CD's.

I'm into heavy metal so stores won't stock what I like, so mostly it's online or traveling to Sydney for what I like.