Causes of bullying

A friend

I've conducted research on the roots of bullying, and I am disgusted at what I have read.

Despite this, I would like some input on why this sort of thing happens.

Why do you think bullying occurs?

(sorry if something like this was already posted)

Last edited:

Agent_Violet

Bc some kids are taught now to be a bully by having parents who bully them at home.
Bc some kids are insecure and they want to tear down whomever they can to make themselves appear less vulnerable
Bc some kids are just a$$holes and think it's funny.

BleedTheFreak

What always bugged me is how targets are chosen. You see the most unassuming people getting harassed or cast out sometimes, I don't understand it. I think there are a few reasons why certain people become targets. A bully either considers them to be a threat or detects that they're physically or emotionally inferior and provokes them in order to feel superior. Sometimes there probably isn't a reason at all, it's just young people who haven't learned how to deal with their emotions.

A friend

It feels as if these youth educational facilities are turning into weaponless manifestations of the middle east (with the exception of religion not being the motivation behind that dull-witted behavior).

Without correct parental input, and due to the naive nature of school regulation enforcement, the American youth might slowly revert into the primitive formations of human beings that our species originated from millions of years ago.

thomas90

People who don't conform are probably more prone to being bullied, or anybody who is different, strange or abnormal. It doesn't mean the bully victim is bad or wrong for being themselves. Its quite sad really.

Helmaninquiel

People who don't conform are probably more prone to being bullied, or anybody who is different, strange or abnormal. It doesn't mean the bully victim is bad or wrong for being themselves. Its quite sad really.

I agree, cause this happens with me at home. I ignore them but my Uncle and Cousin are annoying and hate anyone who is different from society.. I actually act weird just to piss them off. >.<

mcpon

I personally think it's a cry for discipline. The bully doesn't respect the victim so he/she tries to provoke the victim into standing up for him/herself in order to make him/her more respectable in his/her eyes. It could be a cry for attention. It could just be a cheap thrill. It could be an elitist mentality.

irish_bob

i tend not to place too much emphasis on what makes bullys what they are

some people are just plain nasty pieces of work and enjoy it

Honda

Bullying will always exist whether you like it or not.. So next time get ready to draw a line for that bully otherwise you will always be the victim they know they can hurt without effortlessly..

Sad but true... I have discovered that as soon as you become twice the a$$hole a bully is he will shut up and crawl into his shell like a coward... Some of them end up fighting with you and become friends aswell...

If you dont show dominance then dont get surprised why some people would bully you, try to or not socialize with you. Sad but true... Most people are not your true friends and even friends need a limit...

When you carry a gun around they are respect you out of fear.

I mentioned in an earlier post that sometimes you need to be an ******* on occasions with some people as to put them in their place and draw the line. I have a colleague in my office who tries to bully everyone once he came to me, I made him drag his tail back to his desk and I never heard anything from that fool other than respect..

You need to earn respect sometimes cuz giving respect doesnt always give back respect in return. Some people join gangs, carry knifes and hang out in packs, well I dont blame them, they might have taken a dangerous path but they want to be respected regardless.

Natural Selection, would summarize our world.. Sad but true..

Final, thought never feel bad if oneday you get outnumbered and beaten up by a group of people, know one thing, non of them dared to be a man and fight you on your own, yet be always ready to do your type of damage.
And always be defensive, never harm people for no reason otherwise you are a sort of bully by then.

agoraphobickatie

Bc some kids are taught now to be a bully by having parents who bully them at home.
Bc some kids are insecure and they want to tear down whomever they can to make themselves appear less vulnerable
Bc some kids are just a$$holes and think it's funny.

i think agent_violet pretty much covered it.. that's what i would have said :)

it seems like a lot of the time, it comes from home situations, whether they be rich or poor, it's just about what's going on at "home", wherever that may be.. which is sad, it's sad that there's just not some rulebook (not that it would be followed) called "how to not fukk your kids up and consequently destroy society" ...:)

again, having said that, it's not always the parents fault, i'm sure... but even if the kid is just an a$$hole and thinks it's funny, someone is probably an a$$hole to them... whatever, i guess it is about whatever the kid/person is facing in their daily life ::shrug::

all i know is, i'm not fond of bullies, and i don't try to be one, and i don't give two $hits if someone tries to bully me, lol

Last edited:

Dead_on_Arrival

Because the strong, confident, self assured, popular people pray on the
weak, vulnerable, socialy inept people to show that they are the dominent
alpha male/female as in all nature.

At school I was short and scrawny. I was bullied because I was an easy target but I
took a stand. I had taken enough after being bullied for years (started in primary school and went on into high school till I was 13) so after one particular episode in which the last lesson of the day (woodwork) I had my bag nailed to the desk I snapped. I stood there and demanded that the person who did it remove it and give me it back. It just so happened it was the alpha male who all the others followed, the 'hardest' kid in our year. So he walked up to me and asked me what I was going to do about it. Now I deplore violence, and I would never advocate it but at the time my head just went. I grabbed him in a headlock and dropped to my knees, I repeatedly punched him in the face then smashed his head into the floor.
I got away with a warning after the head teacher found out what had been going on and someone, whom I never found out who it was, came forward as a witness to the bullying. Needless to say, no-one ever bothered me again through school. They just spoke about me behind my back, which I didn't mind because they weren't physicaly attacking me or messing with my stuff anymore.
But like I said, I do not advocate violence in any way shape or form.

Kiwong

Hell, I would've called a lot of the bullies social inept.

I think bullies have self esteem problems more so than anyone, they manifest their inferiorty as anger against weak targets.

The physical violence I could stand up to, but not the character assasinating teasing.

Sprunk

At school I was short and scrawny. I was bullied because I was an easy target but I
took a stand. I had taken enough after being bullied for years (started in primary school and went on into high school till I was 13) so after one particular episode in which the last lesson of the day (woodwork) I had my bag nailed to the desk I snapped. I stood there and demanded that the person who did it remove it and give me it back. It just so happened it was the alpha male who all the others followed, the 'hardest' kid in our year. So he walked up to me and asked me what I was going to do about it. Now I deplore violence, and I would never advocate it but at the time my head just went. I grabbed him in a headlock and dropped to my knees, I repeatedly punched him in the face then smashed his head into the floor.
I got away with a warning after the head teacher found out what had been going on and someone, whom I never found out who it was, came forward as a witness to the bullying. Needless to say, no-one ever bothered me again through school. They just spoke about me behind my back, which I didn't mind because they weren't physicaly attacking me or messing with my stuff anymore.
But like I said, I do not advocate violence in any way shape or form.
:)Nice work man.Im not a big fan of violence either though there is definitely times when it is warranted.
I'm not sure of the reasons behind bullying and all that, though it could be that some people are just *******s.

Honda

^ If only I have taken a stand like this one in school, my life would probably have taken a different path..

Good work, sometimes violence is a necessary evil only in the right places though..

gaddie

Bullying is disgusting, it is a slur on humanity and it is such a shame that despite we humans supposedly been advanced species, some of us still bully others. So what are the causes of bullying? Unfortunately this is still something which is open to debate (as it is amongst the experts). I however don't fall for the argument that it is all to do with low self-esteem. There have being times when my esteem was low, but I never bullied anyone.

So what do I think are the causes of bullying? Well there are many, such as it being learnt by parents who also bully to some who are just emotionally stunted, lose their cool and don't know how to handle day-to-day interactions and so result to bullying, etc. Yet whatever the causes, neither form of bullying should be tolerated.
Alex Gadd
Author Beat The Bully: A Guide To Dealing With Adult Bullying

Alex

Agent_Violet

you know i luv ya DOA but i have to disagree with this one...

reason being, if a person is TRULY strong,confident and self assured they won't feel a need to prey on anyone else...they'd actually reach out to protect those who are weaker and more vulnerable.

i think the reason they're targeting weak,vulernable,socially inept people is bc the bullies are the weakest and most vulnerable inside.

but...then again...some bullies are just complete asshats with no rhyme or reason to their actions.

Dead_on_Arrival

you know i luv ya DOA but i have to disagree with this one...

reason being, if a person is TRULY strong,confident and self assured they won't feel a need to prey on anyone else...they'd actually reach out to protect those who are weaker and more vulnerable.

i think the reason they're targeting weak,vulernable,socially inept people is bc the bullies are the weakest and most vulnerable inside.

You know, your right. I was in the mood for a bit of verbal bully bashing when I wrote it. They probably had problems in their life and the only release was another kid at school.

Agent_Violet

You know, your right. I was in the mood for a bit of verbal bully bashing when I wrote it. They probably had problems in their life and the only release was another kid at school.

((((hugs))))

i get on the bully bashing kick all the time...i'm a bully bully-er...lol mmm did that make sense? :confused:

Honda

People, bullying is part of life.. Its a part of human and animal nature and the causes of bullying are many:
- Some do it to feel better about themselves
- Some do it to provoke a rise out of somebody or to challenge someone
- Some do it to as a necessary evil to get what they need
- Some do it because nobody is stopping them or putting a limit for them