cat burgler

durda_dan

:(
i was playing with my cat, i'm sure you know if you have a cat they like to wrap around your hands and play bite, it doesn't hurt, But he broke ym skin with his claws.(not with his teeth, But i am afraid he licked me after braking skin) thats ok, i put some antibacterial stuff on it, it's fine. But since then i hav had my Hypocondriac OCD and i think i am doomed to Rabies!
my cat isn't agressive, he doesn't bite at random, doesn't foam angrily, or hiss. Why do i think i have Rabies.
can i ask a favor

in china Wikipedia an other encyclopedia/information sites are blocked for government reasons,

Can someone find some information on Rabies and prove my otherwise. Thanks

durda_dan

it's been a month, he shows no signs of rabbies, No chance he has rabbies, it was jsut my hypocondria.

durda_dan

The story continues, last night me and julia (my girlfriend) were walking down the street.and under a parked car, we saw a dirty (litterally dirt covered) kitten, maybe a month old, super young.
we quickly decided we can't leave a kitten under a car on a street, as it will get hut by a car. (or run over by the car it is under)
we took him home.
King dind't take too well to him, they fight a scarp when they are close. But actually, King looks like her is protecting him, king always keeps an eye ont he little bugger, i know it's becaue of the territorial instincts, but it's cute in a way.
right now the kitten (named rong, chinese for fluffy) is in quarentine, incase of rabies or any other cat sickness. one week in quarentine wiht a kitten is crazy, 2 days now, and he loves to meow. Meow for really extended periods of time.
pictures of rong coming soon.

i hope he doens't die.

Doesn't anybody know about cats getting used to new kittens?
or does anybody know about potty training cats.

Danfalc

Banned
Doesn't anybody know about cats getting used to new kittens?
or does anybody know about potty training cats.

King should accept the kitty after a while,is the kitten male or female?It shouldnt really make that much of a difference,king will probaly want to make sure its known he is top cat,then they will either get on or learn to keep out of each others way.Id try and not leave the kitty on its own though just incase untill its big enough to give as good as it gets.

As for potty training,if you see the kitty start to do a wee,just pick it up and put it on the cat litter :) It should soon learn thats where it goes to the toilet,especialy once its has pee'd in there because of the scent,kitties are normaly pretty good when it comes to toilet training.

he/she is probaly meowing alot because its distressed at being away from its mum and siblings,having king might actualy be good as it will feel like it has some fammily.

princess_haru

Here's some info I found on the interwebz about introducing cats to each other. Hope it helps and good luck with your new little'un (looking forward to pics)! :)

"Although sometimes cats will get along swimmingly in just a couple of hours, you should not be surprised to have a battle on your hands if you try to introduce your new cat too quickly. The time you spend on this all-important process will be saved exponentially by not having to break up conflicts every day. Also, the first couple of weeks can set the tone for the relationship for a long time to come, so "getting it right" the first time will save a lot of hassles later on.

The Steps to Take

Set up a comfortable "safe room" for New Cat. Put her food, water, litter box (not near the food), scratching post, toys, and bed or other sleeping mat there.
Expect a great deal of "hissy-spitty" behavior through the closed door from both cats. This is natural and normal; they are just starting to explore their "pecking order."
Scent is very important for cats. Let each of them smell the other indirectly, by rubbing a towel on one and letting the other smell it. They will soon accept the scent as a normal part of the house.
Once or twice, switch roles. Put New Cat in the normal living quarters, and let your resident cat sniff out the new cat's Safe Room.
After a day or so, let the two cats sniff each other through a baby-gate or through a barely-opened door. Gauge the rate at which they seem to be acclimating to each other.
When you think they're ready, let them mingle under your supervision. Ignore hissing and growling, but you may have to intervene if a physical battle breaks out. Again, take this step slowly, depending on how quickly they get along. If they do seem to tolerate each other, even begrudgingly, praise both of them profusely.
Make their first activities together enjoyable ones so they will learn to associate pleasure with the presence of the other cat. Feeding (with their own separate dishes), playing, and petting. Keep up with the praise.
If things start going badly, separate them again, and then start where you left off. If one cat seems to consistently be the aggressor, give her some "time out," then try again a little bit later.
The introduction can take from two hours to six months, so don't be discouraged if your cats don't seem to get along well at first. Often the case is that they will eventually be "best buddies."

Factors to Consider

If you are thinking of getting a kitten to keep an older cat company, you might want to consider two kittens. They will be able to keep each other company while the older cat learns to love them.
If you already have more than one cat, use the "alpha cat" for preliminary introductions. Once he/she accepts the newcomer, the other resident cats will quickly fall in line.
Lots of snuggle-time and attention is indicated for all cats concerned during this period. Remember, the prime goal is to get them to associate pleasure with the presence of each other.
If possible, ask a friend to deliver the new cat to your home, in her cage. You can act nonchalant, as if it's no big deal, then later let your resident cat(s) think it's their idea to welcome the newcomer.
With patience and perseverance, you can turn what might appear at first as an "armed camp" into a haven of peace for your integrated feline family. Congratulations on giving another cat in need a permanent home!"

princess_haru

Found another one - fairly similar ideas but I thought this one was a bit more thorough!

Introducing your new cat to your resident cat

Cats can have great friendships with each other but must be introduced slowly to help minimize the risk of starting off the relationship on the wrong foot. If one cat gets hissed at or swatted, he may always be scared of the other cat. Follow these steps as closely as possible to ensure success.

Understanding Cat behaviour

Domestic cats have evolved from their wild territorial and largely solitary ancestors. Their need to defend territory comes from the need to catch sufficient prey to survive. Though modern domestic cats are more social and can live in groups, it is important to consider their history to understand their natural territorial nature.

Relationship problems between cats are often a reason for cats being relinquished or returned to the SPCA after an adoption. The gradual introduction process is very important in establishing a relationship between cats.

Cats communicate visually but also by scent. They use rubbing to leave scent and for building a social bond with their human or cat friends.

Before you take your new cat home

Set aside one room for your new cat away from the resident cat’s favourite place. Have at least one comfortable sleeping area, one hiding area such as a box or a “tent bed”, a water bowl and a food bowl. (Cats don’t like to eat near their litter box so keep food and water bowls away from their litter box.)
Once home, take the cat to her room right away. Do not come into contact with the resident cat.
Keep the cat inside the carrier box until you are in her room with the door shut.
Place her box or other hiding area in a corner of the room (away from the litter box) and place the carrier box beside it. Open the door.
Do not force the cat to come out. She may be frightened and stressed by the new environment.
Leave the cat alone in the room. Allow her to settle down and come out on her own.

Scent Swapping

Cats communicate with each other by scent. So you must start by introducing the cats to each other by "swapping" scent.

Later that day, place your new cat’s towel on or near your resident cat’s favourite place and encourage him to approach.
If your cat starts to hiss, spit or avoid the towel place it on the floor away from his bed or food bowl. Each day move the towel closer to the cat’s food bowl. Do the same thing with your resident cat’s bedding giving it to the new cat for her to smell.
Swap food bowls between the cats. They will start to associate the positive act of eating with the scent of the other cat.
Swap direct scent between cats by petting one cat with a cloth around the checks and pet the other cat with it in the same way. It is important to rub the cheeks because this is where cats have glands that secrete a “friendly “ hormone. Once they are completely tolerant of each other’s scent proceed to visual contact.
The time it takes to accept each other’s scent can vary from a few hours (usually when one is a kitten or both are very social cats) to a few weeks.

Visual contact

Ideally, the solid door that separates the cat would be temporarily replaced with a screen door or a baby gate with the access above the gate blocked. However, if this is not possible, open the door of your new cat’s room just enough so the cats are able to see each other, sniff each other and touch noses. The opening should not be wide enough for either cat to go through. Secure it with a hook or a small nail and a rope.
Encourage the cats to spend time close to each other with treats on either side of the door or by playing with a feather. Do not use catnip. Some cats get aggressive or overly excited.
If the cats are showing aggression towards each other (more severe than a hiss or a quick swat) you may need to make the opening smaller. Over the next few days, feed the cats closer and closer to the door.
Only once the cats are comfortable with each other (they may sniff noses, play through the door or rub against the door) you can have a proper introduction. There should be no growling, spitting or hissing.

First time encounter without a barrier

It is now time to open the door and let them explore each other’s territory. Just for safety, keep a set of keys handy that you can throw on the floor to startle them should they get into a little spat. Your cats will probably be fine. They may ignore each other. Do not pick them up and attempt to force them to interact. Remember, cats deal with conflict by increasing space between each other. Give them the freedom to do that.

Longer Term

When you have two cats, they may be very close, grooming each other and playing or they may live together but not pay much attention to each other. Cats enjoy watching other cats. Even if they don’t seem to interact they are making each other’s life more interesting.

Unless your cats freely choose to use the same litter box and eat out of the same bowl, be sure to provide each cat with a litter box, separate beds, hiding areas and food bowls.

Caution

Bullying between cats can sometimes be very subtle. A cat may bully another by denying him access to resources. For example, if you have a cat door, one may stand next to it and hit and swat the other cat when entering or leaving. One may sit near the food bowl and hiss or swat at the other cat when he approaches. Or one cat may simply stare at the other. You will know if the other cat feels intimidated because he will begin to avoid the areas protected by the other. If this happens, again make sure the bullied cat has his own space where the other cannot go and where he can access a litter box, food, water and bedding without being bullied.

While this bullying behaviour may seem minor, it causes chronic stress for the bullied cat and the one who feels he has to guard his territory all the time. This may lead to stress related disease or behaviour problems such as spraying or eliminating outside the litter box.

Never punish either cat if they show aggression.
If you see signs of aggression go back a few steps. Scent swap for a few days and start visual contact slowly again.

durda_dan

i was told to quarentine him, but my doors are all sliding doors and king opens thedm himself and hops in and uses rong's toilet and food.

when they are both awake king straddles and bites rong's neck... apparently iit's normal, but scary.

Hey Haru, thanks for posting all the stuff about introducing cats to each other - I'm thinking about getting a cat or cats soon, and wasn't sure how it would work if I got two. :)

durda_dan

here are some picturs, one is me and king and my girlfriend *when i was sleeping*
and one is of rong rong my new kitty, which we decided to name Qiu qiu chiao (ball) in chinese

P020509_1044_01.jpg

P180409_1921_01.jpg

princess_haru

Hey Haru, thanks for posting all the stuff about introducing cats to each other - I'm thinking about getting a cat or cats soon, and wasn't sure how it would work if I got two. :)

You're welcome! Sometimes I think about getting a second kitty to keep mine company, but I have such a small house that I'm not sure it'd be wise ;)

princess_haru

here are some picturs, one is me and king and my girlfriend *when i was sleeping*
and one is of rong rong my new kitty, which we decided to name Qiu qiu chiao (ball) in chinese

P020509_1044_01.jpg

Aww, look at the sweet little fluffball! *melts into a puddle of kitty-loving goo* He's a darling :)

durda_dan

here's a new picture of the two cats, qiu qiu and king king, upon request.
want to see more jsut ask

Attachments

• P110709_15.12.jpg
    P110709_15.12.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 24

Queen_Of_Pain

Nice story :D
I think it was meant to be. Not only will looking after him take your mind off thngs, you're probably right, he will make you feel better.

My cat stayed with me the whole time when I was feeling bad, and she only left my side when I was feeling better, how would she have known? I'm sure they must pick up on things.

dottie

They look like they could be father and son! I love these pics! King looks so healthy now.

desoconnor

I got two kittens two weeks ago... Scratch and Sniff :)

They've made me feel better bout things.

I'm glad you rescued King and he is doing well :D