Bird Watching :)

Phoenixx

^ Neat! I love falcons.

I saw one of these yesterday coming home from school. (American Kestrel)

rmin9k.jpg

I always see the males where I live, but never have I seen the females, so that was a nice sight.

nafadda

one of my favorite subjects,so glad to see this positive post:)

I LOOOOOOOOOOVE bird watching.I have been an avid bird watcher since I was a kid.I was lucky to grow up in a town that was a bird sanctuary.

Here in Florida because of all the development,many species have seemed to have just gone away.but since I am in North Central part and near a river I am lucky to still have many birds around.Eagles,Osprey,Dif type Owls,Hawks,(lots of birds of prey )..also many a nice song bird,...quails seemed to have vanished over the years though,sledom see any.

yes bird watching is a fav of mine..i also have a few caged birds..one is a gold mantel rosela as seen in that photo above..I had 2 for many years ,but one died last month after having many a strokes..I love them..all the colors are so beautiful..they are not native N American birds.

also lots of herons here..Great Blue are beautiful.bird watching can do a person wonders.:cool:

Aletheia

Kākāriki

The cemetery I go walking in is chock full of them, even though they're supposedly really rare. Maybe they've escaped from nearby bird sanctuaries.

Iluv

Here's what we have :
220px-Red-tailed_Hawk_Buteo_jamaicensis_Full_Body_1880px.jpg

flying%20blue%20heron%20gif.gif

baor1.jpg

And one bird I hate on my life because they attack you when you go remotely near their nest and claw your hair:
swallow_by_ray_52-d4go38z.jpg

(I stole these pics from Google cause I hate birds so I don't go near them to take pics)

Phoenixx

So on Monday on the way to school I saw this large bird just sitting on a tree. It was brownish with a whitish head, still had some brownish flecks all mixed in. I didn't get a good look, so I figured it was probably a large hawk, since the ones we get around here are super ginormous because they're fed well. :p But then on Wednesday, in nearly the same spot around the same time, I saw it again. I really don't think it's a hawk, rather than a juvenile bald eagle.

5377882439_d8d8bd2892_z.jpg

It's really quite big, about the size of a vulture, if not a little bigger. They're exceptionally rare around here, but they've been becoming more common within the last 5 years or so. By that I mean there have been a few more sightings in the next towns over, but that's about it.

I only saw the back of it though, and the way the sun was shining both those mornings, and with all the trees, I couldn't really see if there was any red to distinguish whether or not it was a large hawk rather than an eagle. I'm definitely keeping my eyes peeled though when I go through there again. It's been so long since I've seen one.

Kiwong

Yep - love them, the colours, voices, personalities, styles of flight. here's some of my locals

little_wattle_bird__width_600px-310x206.jpg

Superb_fairy_wrens-582x388.jpg

Eastern%20Rosella%20Kristi%20Ellingsen%20.jpg

pink%20robin%2001.jpg

Watllebird, Blue Wren, Rose Robin.

When I was living in Sydney I was a big birdwatcher. I'm more into wildflowers now.

Kiwong

I like Sooty and Pied Oystercartchers. They often keep me company on headlands and beaches.

Recently I spent time with Lord Howe Island Woodhens.

photo.php

Last edited:
^ I love that photo you took. I had to reblog it on Tumblr. :)

Musk lorikeet that hit a window today and survived, very lucky as they fly fast and it didn't look too good when I picked it up. These fly in small, chatty flocks and don't know the meaning of slow. Nice to see one close up, I remember wrongly thinking these were called 'Masked' from the red band across the face. It flew away strongly but must have a massive headache

tumblr_mttlsjVxjj1qhgwvgo1_500.jpg

Kiwong

White_faced_Heron_zps44bab3b4.jpg

White faced heron. This bird wouldn't sit still, it kept on walking to other side of the creek.

Also saw a Sea Eagle, and some Crested Terns. In the Littoral Rainforest I heard and saw Green Cat Birds, Black-faced Monarchs (a kind of Flycatcher), Brown Pigeon, Grey Fantail.

Last edited:

Kiwong

Shearwater_zps90e97632.jpg

I went to Moonee Beach two days ago. There were dead several shearwaters on the sand. You could see their feet marks where they had landed, and then were too exhausted to fly on. Two were still clinging to life. Birds are such fragile things, and they try to hide their pain/weakness from other birds. When they show obvious signs of weakness then they are often close to death. I was really saddened, but decided to let nature take its course. I suppose shearwater strandings have been happening for thousands of years with no-one around to witness it.

Kiwong

These are Sooty Oystercatchers, they always keep me company when I am taking photographs on the beach.

Sooty_Osytercatchers_zpsb3bcd5f4.jpg

Kiwong

That's a really great video. One of the chicks didn't seem to get much food at all. The bigger one seemed to get everything at first, then another slower chick, but there was one who seemed to miss out . I presume it was Dad, but wasn't much help he took off with the fish. Then she shaded the chicks from the sun.

PugofCrydee

You want to know how I got these scars?
I love birds (awesome pics Kihira), I was just out on the back porch as the sun went down, watching the Galahs all fly in for the night in the tree's around my house. So relaxing.