Battery hen: The chickens you are eating

Mokkat

Capitalism, plain and simple sadly.

Im glad that animal wellfare rules are kinda strict in my country, and that serious steps are taken against people exposed of cramming animals to maximize profits.

Animal care is actually kinda popular here too, for profits - like installing rubbing machines for cows make them more content, makes them produce a lot more milk :p

choochoocharlee

not me, ive been vegetarian for 6 years now.. and almost vegan for 2 (i occasionally still eat things containing milk) but the goal is to be completely vegan.

EscapeArtist

The killing is natural. It's that the chickens never know a good life that really bothers me. They never get to taste freedom. Always captives. Damn...chicken farmers...

Just began vegan-ism in the last.. month or so. More for health reasons than this. But, they are both great reasons and make me feel reassured in that choice

Phoenixx

The killing is natural. It's that the chickens never know a good life that really bothers me.
^ Agreed

One reason I eat organic free range chicken and eggs, very sad....

I'm like this too. My family's been organic for 2 years now. We always know where our meat comes from (We get it from local farmers around here) and how they were raised. Same goes with vegetables and fruit. We usually grow our own vegetables and, if not, we try to buy local produce. We shop at Amish stores too because their items are fresh and very cheap :)

lavender

I stopped participating in that over 2 years ago..*hugs my local organic tofu*
Has anyone seen The Peaceable Kingdom? It's a documentary about people who rescue farm animals, it's so heartbreaking and inspiring. I think you can watch it online.

Last edited:

AGR

I think one of the problems is that are to many people on the planet now,its the best way to feed them,I dont know its to hard to say,one thing is for sure,I am not going to stop eating meat,I tried before,its not for me,its really hard here in Japan too,since I dont know how to read or where to find stuff,pretty sure it would be a bit more expensive too.

NathanielWingatePeaslee

Iä! Iä! Cthulhu fhtagn!
Staff member
I think one of the problems is that are to many people on the planet now,its the best way to feed them,I dont know its to hard to say
i-love-soylent-green-food-products-retro-t-shirt.american-apparel-unisex-fitted-tee.grass.w760h760.jpg

DarkPhoenix

It sickens me how the animals that we share this earth with are treated like a commodity, rather than a living, feeling, emotive being. Battery hens in this case are the cheapest way to mass produce eggs, and supermarkets are able to sell them at a low price. Ignorant and uncaring consumers are to blame for this imo. You can buy a 24 pack of cage eggs for the same price as a 6 pack of free-range.

Pookah

^A majority of people having to think more about living within their income has something to do with it too.

DarkPhoenix

I am aware that there are people out there that struggle financially, but how many of these people use the "i cant afford it" line whilst buying cigarettes and lottery tickets? it is what it is, a cruelty discount.

lavender

Pookah does make a good point, especially when it comes to the factory farm workers.
I'm not sure if there's really that much of a price difference when it comes to buying groceries? Animal products seem to be a lot more expensive than a lot of the food I eat, but I think costs are about even (excluding fancy prepackaged vegan food, which usually isn't healthy anyway).
In my experience with other people on tight budgets(I'm on one too) is that they're not always educated in managing their money or different ways of cooking. Like, legumes can be pretty cheap, especially in bulk, but a lot of people don't know what to do with them.

Someone I know once brought up this point. It's that we can't trust the labels on the "organic products"... that they're just as bad as the ones without the label... And she's mad that her mother sometimes buy the more expensive organic products as they would probably be just as unhealthy.

That seems like an interesting point. Is it true? Can they just slap the organic labels around?

@Darkphoenix: Yeah... I've wondered about that too.... "Nope I can't afford to help others... but I can definitely afford to destroy my own health and engage in a game where I'm almost certain to lose more money than I gain..."

Last edited:
Some labelling can be a complete scam - 'free range' for eggs here can mean a small door out of a barn

lunarla

"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated."
-Ghandi

Some labelling can be a complete scam - 'free range' for eggs here can mean a small door out of a barn

Sorry, I don't understand.

The law here states that in order for egg producers to be able to sell their eggs as 'free range' and therefore at a premium price, all they are require to do is to allow the hens access to the outside. So some producers keep their hens in a barn in less than ideal conditions, the free range component being that they can exit the barn to a yard.

Blinkers

I feel so passionately about this subject. And even though I'm far from well off I always but free range. How can I not?