bathroom help!!!!!

maj154

Hello Ladies and Gents,
Long story short, I have someone with OCD living with us (wife and me).

Here is my question which I require assistance with.

The person is 17 years old, very well inform on OCD (way too much), he learned to blame everything on OCD (I really mean everything).
When he goes to the bathroom for "nature call" he spends hours and hours (4 hours +). How can we get him out of there???????

Any help/assistance would be greathly appreciated.

Thanks

Ignace

What does he say when you ask him what he's doing there so long ?
Welcome to the forum btw.:)

Waybuloo

With our bathroom lock, I can open it outside wiht the back of a key, fits like a screwdriver against a screw :)
Also the lightswitch is on the outside at our house, so turning that off will certainly frustrate the inhabitant at the time :)

Have you had a talk with him? I don't know much about OCD but if you suspect it's not really OCD that's making him take so long, then drill into him how incredibly selfish that is, and threaten to lessen his pocket money or something. Or put up wiht him until he's 18 and make him move out.

Luna1740

Ummmm..... I hate to be the one to say it, but whatever, did you ever think that maybe he is just ummmm.... doing what 17 year old boys do in the bathroom for a long period of time?

Incase my explanation didn't make sense, please refer to the following tv ad:
shake-weight-profile.jpg

coyote

Ummmm..... I hate to be the one to say it, but whatever, did you ever think that maybe he is just ummmm.... doing what 17 year old boys do in the bathroom for a long period of time?

for 4+ hours?

Dude, that's a long time - even by my standards!

SoulSeeker

Banned
4 hrs is a long long long long time to spend locked in a bathroom.

With a little detective work..you should be able to get some clue/idea of what he is doing...without invading his privacy...or hurting his feelings. ie..no need to set up a camera in there.

Does he not leave any trace/clues of what he's been up to?

maj154

I'll take this answer and go from there as I really like the comment (funny).

First of all, that you for the "welcome to the site".

I'll try to answer all the comments/questions on the same post, if you have more, please fell free to add anything.

He doesn't lock the bathroom (order from me, not aloud) so, no he is not doing what any other 17 years old would be doing, no standards beat there! lucky coyote.... I don't think he does it at all as it's dirty...

detective work: Very easy as the door is open! I can walk right in. He just sit there and push as he feels "still full", he will push until he thinks he is "empty". To make it simple, push, whipe, push, whipe...... and push, whipe... and push some more and whipe some more....

I did not mean that. Im just trying to help this person..as OCD can be very destructive..and if he's hiding something..he needs help. He is getting help but he needs to be coach on EVERYTHING, from getting dress in the morning up to the shower.

I need a way to get him out without getting physical.

Maybe find something he really likes? Whether it be computer games or guitar or whatever? And tell him he could be doing those favorite things instead?

OCD is hard. When I was at my worst, I can spend half an hour or even an hour checking the taps in my bathroom. But never four hours!

Pookah

I don't think its too good for the colon and rectum etc to be doing that for four hours. Straining can lead to prolapse.

iamthenra

Pushing too hard leads to hemorrhoids, which is nothing more than herniated veins like varicose veins which often has blood clots (thrombosis). Also the Vegas nerve is close to the anus, and when stimulated it can cause the heart rate to slow down causing the person to faint or black out...

maj154

Pushing too hard leads to hemorrhoids, which is nothing more than herniated veins like varicose veins which often has blood clots (thrombosis). Also the Vegas nerve is close to the anus, and when stimulated it can cause the heart rate to slow down causing the person to faint or black out...

Thank you for the info. He is well inform of all the "side effects" but he keeps doing it.

The games idea is excellent. I need to try that!

Any other ideas would be greathly appreciated.

Thanks