Baby bull

NathanielWingatePeaslee

Iä! Iä! Cthulhu fhtagn!
Staff member
So a couple of weeks ago one of our older cows had a baby. Unfortunately, there seem to have been complications from the birth. She was acting sickly since the birth and died a week after it. That left us with an orphan. Unfortunately, cows don't tend to adopt as much as something like goats or sheep do. He tried feeding from a mom with another baby the same age and she just kept pushing him away. My step-dad and I managed to herd him into the corral.

Here's a picture of him in the corral, terrified and desperate to escape and get with the herd:

IMG_3645.jpg

We then put him in the chicken coup. It's really hard to escape from (he bent the gate on the corral and escaped from it) and it's secure from predators at night. If he had been orphaned at birth it would have been easier, but after a week he was already used to feeding from his mom and being with the rest of the herd.

For the first few days I had to rope him down and then sit on him in order to feed him--he would just run away otherwise. The very first feeding, I had to force the bottle into his mouth, squirt the formula down his throat, and massage his throat to get him to swallow. By the end of the first feeding he realized it was good stuff and he was starving, but he still ran from humans.

Saturday he finally stopped running and fighting (which is good because he's already insanely strong). Now he licks his lips whenever he sees me. This morning I decided he might be comfortable enough to not mind a camera in his face and I was right.

You has breakfast?

hasbreakfast.jpg

NOMNOM!

nomnom.jpg

I think I got formula on the lens during the video. Hard to do video with one hand. ::p:

YouTube - bottlefeeding

NathanielWingatePeaslee

Iä! Iä! Cthulhu fhtagn!
Staff member
Looks healthy enough
Yes. Thankfully, he's perfectly healthy and has an intense will to live. It would have been heartbreaking to watch him waste away.

The day his mother died we weren't able to catch him before dark. We didn't know if he would live to see the dawn. Not only did he live, he proved that he could easily outrun me and showed me he was strong enough to buck me off of him if he got some decent leverage--and that was after no food for about 48 hours.

Brooke--I believe I bought it at Tractor Supply Co a few years ago for another calf.

hippiechild

Awwh! Why hello there you beautiful baby mammal, you!
He's a handsome fellow already... gonna be a right cow killer when he's grown ;)

Tiercel

I've seen pictures with guys in fancy red jackets balancing bulls like this on their heads.

So I guess the real question is whether your head is big enough.

::p: