Awkward around children

ikbenrifi

I hesitated about starting this thread, i thought it might sound stupid !
Anyway, i really hate these moments when you are supposed to give a compliment about a child or a baby i'm introduced to or have just met, i just don't know what to say, knowing that childrens reactions mainly are impredictable, they can be so embarassing ! . Not that i don't get along with children, at the contrary they tend to like and enjoy being around me, it's just that first moments.

So does anyone relate to this ? how do you guys deal with situation ?

MNM322

I used to hate being around kids, I felt so akward and like I forgot how to relate to them... my cure? Volunteering with them. It helped me so much. I find they are such easy people to relate to... probably the only ones I don't fear talking to

jryden

Yes, I can relate to this. Younger kids tend to like me. Any kid around 7ish...not really. I feel very awkward around them. Unlike adults, who can pretend to like you, a kid won't lie. If they dont like me, they ignore me.
Its funny b/c i've been looking at nanny/babysitting jobs and i keep remembering that kids dont really like me. Idk how to relate to them (or anyone else really)

laure15

Some babies don't like me, otherwise I get along just fine with little kids. I feel so much more comfortable around little kids compared to teenagers and adults. Some kids can be so sweet and innocent.

MikeyC

It's difficult to give a baby/toddler compliments, so I don't blame you for those feelings.

I'm horrendous around kids. I don't know what to say, what to do, or what they want from me. I try to stay away as much as possible.

Hellhound

Super Moderator
I tend to ignore kids, but they just come to me anyway as if I had some sort of magnet for them. I just nod and say "yeah, okay" if they talk to me. I don't know if they get the hint that I don't like them, because they don't go away.

MNM322

even though i like kids now, i am still very uncomfortable around babies, i refuse to even hold one

but seriously, try volunteering with kids, and you will see how easy it comes.

inmyveins

I can most definitely identify with what you are describing. For whatever reason, I feel incredibly uncomfortable...especially around babies. My little cousin was born and my aunt wanted me to hold him. I plastered on a smile and tried to act cool and collected, but inside I was like "L;AKSJDF;ALSJDFLAJSDFNSLJF;AJSFLASJKFN;AL"!!! If that makes any sense whatsoever...

Last edited:

xDreamseller

Babies look funny, smell funny and make a mess all over the place. They are also noisy -.-

Why anyone would want one is beyond me. They are just like those dolls that cry and pee, except you can't pull the batteries out once you get bored. :D

Kids have always seemed to like me for whatever reason. I always feel awkward though, as if whatever I say will come out weird and they'll get upset or I'll sound like a pedo, lol. I server Ice Cream in the shop I work at if it's busy, so if a kid buys an ice cream, I just hand it to them without saying anything...

InvisaLady

I'm horrendous around kids. I don't know what to say, what to do, or what they want from me. I try to stay away as much as possible.

Bingo!
I had to spend an hour with my cousin's 3 year old. Worst hour of my life. I had no idea what to say to her. She kept on showing me her sticker collection and all I could say was "yes, they are very nice." While thinking "kill me kill me kill me."

MikeyC

Bingo!
I had to spend an hour with my cousin's 3 year old. Worst hour of my life. I had no idea what to say to her. She kept on showing me her sticker collection and all I could say was "yes, they are very nice." While thinking "kill me kill me kill me."
I've had that before, too. I think kids that young are just happy that you're paying attention to them, so repeating, "yes that's very nice" over and over would suffice, but I understand that it doesn't make you feel any better!

JonSP

It's difficult to give a baby/toddler compliments, so I don't blame you for those feelings.

Pretty much sums me up too.

chibiXphantom

i am sooo awkward around kids, expecially when im forced to interact with them. they're all "hug my child!" and im all "um.." *runs*

or when little kids try to get me to play with them or pretend. i cant do that, its so uncomfortable for me. ill play video games with them, but not play tea party or whatever.
im even more uncomfortable with little girls. little boys i can understand a bit better than little girls.

aquarius86

lol, my sentiments exactly.

Rembrandt Broam

"That's a lovely diaper you're wearing. It looks really good on you." :D

I never really know what I'm supposed to do around kids. Am I supposed to talk to them? It's not like you can talk to them in the way you would to an adult, and I have enough trouble with that anyway, lol. It sounds terrible, but I usually just ignore them.

whatsoever

I've never thought about it. unfortunately (or rather fortunately ;) ) I've never had problem with it. I can't explain it but I feel more secure around children and I'm pretty sure they like me :D